Your thoughts on VB5 latest

NYCGuy76

Fanatic
So I’m currently still using VB4 but due to the lack of support on addons etc I’m thinking about just upgrading to vb5 latest. For those of you using it what are your opinions on it?

Abizaga

I am a tuna sandwich!
So I’m currently still using VB4 but due to the lack of support on addons etc I’m thinking about just upgrading to vb5 latest. For those of you using it what are your opinions on it?
Move to different software entirely. IPB, MyBB, Xenforo... even phpbb woulf be better and more secure. vB5 is riddled with bugs and security holes that might make your site MORE vulnerable by updating.... ironically.

NYCGuy76

Fanatic
I don’t like xenforo. I tried it for a couple of weeks but I just don’t like it. I know it’s a great software but overall I don’t like it.

zappaDPJ

For those of you using it what are your opinions on it?

To be honest, you're unlikely to find anyone using it. I do have a test site access and I agree with Abizaga, it's got literally hundreds of unresolved bugs and a poor history in terms of security. While security fixes are usually issued fairly promptly it's never before dozens of sites get hacked.

Technical support can be slow and expensive, and there's little or no support for it in terms of third party themes and add-ons. It would be at the very bottom of my list of forum platforms to use.

Abizaga

I am a tuna sandwich!
I don’t like xenforo. I tried it for a couple of weeks but I just don’t like it. I know it’s a great software but overall I don’t like it.
Then if not xenforo, something else. Moving to vB5 is imo not a good idea, though.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
For a forum that did not start on software with base features and 3rdparty addons whose data cannot be updated or preserved on vb5, its alright according to a few parameters.

vBS' SaaS is currently cheaper than the competition (at 15$/month - woltlab, ipb, nodebb, discourse, vanilla are bold enough to charge what they do) and a better deal than the paid versions of many free forum hosting services (proboards' paid SaaS starts at 50$/month). Price-wise the SaaS is clearly competitive, however the selfhosted package is still ludicrously priced, with moving out to any other script consistently cheaper than staying with vB.

What does this suggest for the future? My guess is they will experiment with going entirely SaaS since their selfhosted script and ecosystem is not vigorous enough to keep viable either the lifetime licence system introduced after vb4 (vb5 was released 8 years ago now, under a licencing system supposed to produce major versions more frequently) or even return to the jelsoft-era licencing system that's at least workable over time.

ManagerJosh

Adherent
I would rather use a software I don't like but is maintained, and secure versus using a software I like but is insecure. Less headaches/stress in the long run.

NYCGuy76

Fanatic
I would rather use a software I don't like but is maintained, and secure versus using a software I like but is insecure. Less headaches/stress in the long run.
I tried Xenforo but I can’t get myself to like it. I’m going to try invision for a month to test it out before deciding on vb5.

NYCGuy76

Fanatic
Ok so I went with VB5 yesterday. Upgraded to it with ease from vb4. I have to be honest. I really like it. It’s so easy to use and tons of built in options. My users so far love it too. I guess you could say that I’m a creature of habit. I’m just attached to vb. I’ve been using it since 2006. Don’t get me wrong VB3 and 4 by far are much better but I have to get with the times. What happens in the future with vb5 remains to be seen but so far so good. My only dislike is the lack of mods that other versions have but beggars can’t be choosers.

zappaDPJ

Lol you think vb5 is that bad huh? I guess considering I know nothing about programming I don’t see it.

I'd actually say I'm one of a small number of ex-vBulletin owners (vB2, 3 & 4) that likes some aspects of vB5. I like the look and feel of the UI, the simplicity of the editor and I think the page builder has a lot of potential.

On the other side of the coin it was released prematurely on refactored code and as a result it's a somewhat bug ridden, resource hog. It's fair to say that over time it's become a little more efficient but the number of outstanding bugs remains about the same. It's also had a disproportionate number of security issues compared to other platforms.

As far as I'm aware none of the regular members here are running it or would recommend it which is why I said it's a brave move. However, if it works for you and your members that's the bottom line and I'd certainly be interested to hear more once you've had time to get a full evaluation of it.

NYCGuy76

Fanatic
I'd actually say I'm one of a small number of ex-vBulletin owners (vB2, 3 & 4) that likes some aspects of vB5. I like the look and feel of the UI, the simplicity of the editor and I think the page builder has a lot of potential.

On the other side of the coin it was released prematurely on refactored code and as a result it's a somewhat bug ridden, resource hog. It's fair to say that over time it's become a little more efficient but the number of outstanding bugs remains about the same. It's also had a disproportionate number of security issues compared to other platforms.

As far as I'm aware none of the regular members here are running it or would recommend it which is why I said it's a brave move. However, if it works for you and your members that's the bottom line and I'd certainly be interested to hear more once you've had time to get a full evaluation of it.
I’ll definitely fill you in as time goes on. So far so good but it’s still early.

HallofFamer

Habitué
You should upgrade to VB5, its the world-leading forumware and you cannot go wrong with the industry leaders.

Disclaimer: I didnt make the statement myself but it appears to be universally agreed on, just as the below screenshot shows:
world-leading-forumware.png

NYCGuy76

Fanatic
You should upgrade to VB5, its the world-leading forumware and you cannot go wrong with the industry leaders.

Disclaimer: I didnt make the statement myself but it appears to be universally agreed on, just as the below screenshot shows:
world-leading-forumware.png
I upgraded and I really like it.

feldon30

Fan
Switching from software that has a lack of supported addons to one that doesn't have ANY addons seems an odd choice. Seems all your forums are down now?

NYCGuy76

Fanatic
Switching from software that has a lack of supported addons to one that doesn't have ANY addons seems an odd choice. Seems all your forums are down now?
Nope I have two running on vb5. The one in my signature is from a decade ago. I have to remove it from my signature. It’s not so much because of the mods but mainly because I’m a creature of habit too. I just feel comfortable with vbulletin.