Your thoughts on VB5 latest

Paul M

Limeade Addict
It’s not so much because of the mods but mainly because I’m a creature of habit too. I just feel comfortable with vbulletin.
Wait ... so why did you switch then ?
Surely you were comfortable with vB4 ?

(You were certainly better off).

Demon_skeith

Participant
Wow VB is still running? I thought xenforo/IPB ran them out a few years ago. Hopefully the software is still running good.

NYCGuy76

Fanatic
Wait ... so why did you switch then ?
Surely you were comfortable with vB4 ?

(You were certainly better off).
The lack of support I suppose. Also the fact that I figured it’s time to with today’s times. I guess you could call it a leap of faith.

Pigoo

Enthusiast
@NYCGuy: I think you made a good decision that worked/works for you. Even if vB5 has issues...maybe these issues won't be a big deal for you...or maybe via 1st hand experience you'll find out what others were saying about vB5. Otherwise unless you have two products running side by side for exactly the same forum (for example vB5 vs. Xenforo)...it's tough to compare/contrast the two.

I know some much more experienced members here who own/run multiple forums have done this (or are doing it)...and their experiences/opinions should definitely be considered carefully.:)

But...how many times did our parents say "don't do this...or don't do that"...and then we did it anyway! Sometimes it works out...sometimes not.;)

Last edited:

NYCGuy76

Fanatic
@NYCGuy: I think you made a good decision that worked/works for you. Even if vB5 has issues...maybe these issues won't be a big deal for you...or maybe via 1st hand experience you'll find out what others were saying about vB5. Otherwise unless you have two products running side by side for exactly the same forum (for example vB5 vs. Xenforo)...it's tough to compare/contrast the two.

I know some much more experienced members here who own/run multiple forums have done this (or are doing it)...and their experiences/opinions should definitely be listened to carefully.:)

But...how many times did our parents say "don't do this...or don't do that"...and then we did it anyway! Sometimes it works out...sometimes not.;)
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I figured I have to let go. It was so hard considering I’m a big lover of vb3 and 4 but sometimes you have to just say f@k it and do it. So far I have to say I’m really like vb5. I think it’s my third week and nothing but thumbs up.

cyberstalker292

Neophyte
I think it's nice to see someone using it and being happy with it.
VB4 was really good to me, such a shame that VB5 didn't get any 3rd party support (their own fault).

I have two VB5 licenses (upgrades) from back in the day, and it's tempting to roll them back out. If you don't need all kinds of customization...... heck, VB5 is a lot better than BBpress.

If the needs are simple, why not?

cyberstalker292

Neophyte
I've thought this before.

But the answer is "what if". Over many years of running forums, I've learned you just never know what you or your users may end up needing in the future.
Good point.

Very, very true.

This may not be a popular thought/question: Is it just me, or are the mods (for any system) lacking next to what was available in the heyday of VB3/4?
Is it that we're so spoiled with other platforms that forums just don't have the same rub anymore? Or is it that the same innovative work isn't done anymore? I look around and don't really see things I like, but back in the day it was like a candy store wanting to try plugins.

haqzore

Devotee
Good point.

Very, very true.

This may not be a popular thought/question: Is it just me, or are the mods (for any system) lacking next to what was available in the heyday of VB3/4?
Is it that we're so spoiled with other platforms that forums just don't have the same rub anymore? Or is it that the same innovative work isn't done anymore? I look around and don't really see things I like, but back in the day it was like a candy store wanting to try plugins.
It does feel that way, and it's not uncommon for TAZ users to mention it.

I think it boils down to the fact that, especially with VB3, there was one fairly undisputed king/ecosystem.

Sure there were other paid options out there, but none of them came anywhere near the market penetration of VB3.

Because of that market penetration, the mod offerings thrived.
There was 1 platform.
1 customer base.
1 code base.
Etc etc. These are all extremely conducive to a thriving mod scene.

Nowadays, there is no king. So all of the takent/knowledge/potential customers are spread out. There isn't just 1 place, 1 platform to absorb all of the output of mod producers and concentrate their offerings to 1 place.

NYCGuy76

Fanatic
Good point.

Very, very true.

No you're right. There are hardly any mods for Vb5 and that's a shame. There is only one user creating and updating mods for Vb but nowhere close to what vb3 and vb4 had.

craigForo

Enthusiast
Ok so I went with VB5 yesterday. Upgraded to it with ease from vb4. I have to be honest. I really like it. It’s so easy to use and tons of built in options. My users so far love it too. I guess you could say that I’m a creature of habit. I’m just attached to vb. I’ve been using it since 2006. Don’t get me wrong VB3 and 4 by far are much better but I have to get with the times. What happens in the future with vb5 remains to be seen but so far so good. My only dislike is the lack of mods that other versions have but beggars can’t be choosers.
I have a few sites that still run vB5 and only because they won't move from it. The biggest problem is the security flaws it has, most notably the two breaches it has had in as many years. That said it works well when not attacked.

FWIW and to keep your sanity always make a complete web directory backup with every version update that you do, and store it locally. This will come in handy when you get compromised. Also daily db backups. All best practices.

Robp57

Neophyte
I have been using VB forever...I have built an unbelieveable amount of sites and all VB.. Since the new VB, I hate it..
Its still VB, so you know what you have but the limited mods just make it very boring...
I tried Xenforo and I am not all warm and fuzzy...
I guess I will go and try PhpBB... Its free and has a ton of styles and mods...Still not the look and feel of VB3 and 4 but I guess it will do...

NYCGuy76

Fanatic
I have been using VB forever...I have built an unbelieveable amount of sites and all VB.. Since the new VB, I hate it..
Its still VB, so you know what you have but the limited mods just make it very boring...
I tried Xenforo and I am not all warm and fuzzy...
I guess I will go and try PhpBB... Its free and has a ton of styles and mods...Still not the look and feel of VB3 and 4 but I guess it will do...

Try IPB. I was an avid Vbulletin user too. Wasn't too crazy about Xenforo but IPB grabbed my attention and its the forum software I only use now.

StateDOG

New Beginnings...
Try IPB. I was an avid Vbulletin user too. Wasn't too crazy about Xenforo but IPB grabbed my attention and its the forum software I only use now.
I'm catching back up on things.... but reading this thread you were seeming to be pretty loyal to vB and going to give 5 a chance.
When did things shift to IPB and what makes you love it now?

NYCGuy76

Fanatic
I'm catching back up on things.... but reading this thread you were seeming to be pretty loyal to vB and going to give 5 a chance.
When did things shift to IPB and what makes you love it now?
When I came back using VB5 I realized it was going nowhere. No add ons, no themes and so I tried Xenforo. Xenforo isn’t a bad software and has a huge support system with many add ons but there was something about it that I didn’t like. I can’t put my finger on it. So while running my forum on Xen I wanted to start a second one and said to myself to try IPB and I went with their Cloud. I figured that’ll be like a trial and see how I like it. Well after a week or two I fell in love with IPB. The ease of using it is crazy and customizing the themes etc are fairly easy. Not to mention I love the add ons and features such as Pages, Clubs and what not. So I put all three of my forums on IPB and never looked back since then. I guess it’s the chemistry I have with the software lol. I can’t explain it in any other way.

Robp57

Neophyte
I finally got VB 4 up and running again..I love it...
I had to roll back php to 7.1 or less to do this but it works great...

DigNap15

Adherent
What are these "mods: you speak of?
Do you mean Add-ons? or moderators?