Yet another Moderator Manual

alfzer0

Neophyte
just threw this up in our staff board for discussion. Quite a lot that needs to be changed to suit our forum, but it is an excellent jumping off point. Thanks much!

-Jeff

PurpleCrow

Adherent
Thanks for posting - I needed something to compare my own with which I wasnt happy with.

lachyTV

Aspirant
Hey, thanks gave me some ideas for one of my own... I gave it a quick read just to see that I had not missed out anything. Extremely helpful

IcarusForde

Aspirant
Jeez... To the people who are saying this one is too long...

I re-wrote a training manual for mods once for a site that I used to work on as a mod, till they got to be absolute prats.

It was 15 posts long, including an index (that freaking big!). I couldn't tell you off the top of my head how big each post was, but I'll fire up my offline copy and do a quick check, then get back to it. It was intense and stupid, and if anyone else wants to see, then I might put it online. :)

Edit

Ok. It's 11,077 words long, and includes 44 screenshots of an individual moderation action/etc. It doesn't go in-depth about the Mod CP (which was restricted anyways, you couldn't do jack!). It has a fully fleshed out Suicide Protocol (Yes, it was necessary. I dealt with a few of them on my time on the team there).

All in all, it's a ridiculous amount of crap in one document, but it was alright doing it. Got me off moderating for a few weeks whilst I did it. :p

Last edited:

Julio

Fan
Thank YOU! for sharing. Right now I have one moderator but as we close in at 1,000 register users I am going to add one more moderator.

SafeCast

Aspirant
I liked how you have posted your manual on a thread, it would be easier because I can just paste it onto the email or send it through Private Messaging.

The titles are great and the content is very easily understood. I would recommend this Manual to many Forum Owners.

Thank You,
SafeCast

Jenee

Aspirant
Jeez... To the people who are saying this one is
It was 15 posts long, including an index (that freaking big!). I couldn't tell you off the top of my head how big each post was, but I'll fire up my offline copy and do a quick check, then get back to it. It was intense and stupid, and if anyone else wants to see, then I might put it online. :)
LOL - I have written and rewritten my mod guidelines many times over the years. The ones I use now are short and sweet (below)... but then we also have an FAQs post, and a 'how to' post with technical details, and then a whole 'how to' board on our test site with step by step instructions with screenshots... but I think that keeping the guidelines separate from all of that makes it easier and less daunting for the new mods.

The Responsibilities of a Moderator

Be familiar with, and follow the forum rules.

Be familiar with what constitutes defamatory content. If you see something that you think is defamatory content, please move the entire post to the Moderator Storeroom, PM the member letting them know it is under review, and let the admins know it is there.

Read your assigned forums. As a Moderator, you should be reading all the posts in the forums you are assigned. If you feel you have too many boards to keep up with, PM an Admin.

Help keep the forums looking good, and up to date. This includes finding new articles to discuss, updating the forum news, and tidying up threads when necessary (please read next post for more info on tidying threads/posts). The "next post" referred to here details what, when and how to edit a post.

Promote discussion. This is as simple as posting in the threads, or starting polls, or discussion topics.

Welcome new members. This can be done via the Introduction forum or thru PM, whichever works for you.

Computer_Head

Poor Helpdesk Bloke
I don't think using a manual is the best way of doing things. I simply outline my expectations in an informal way and then let the moderators use their best judgment. I have safety mechanisms in place in case of any outlandish decisions but I like to let my staff learn and almost make it like a mentoring opportunity since most of my moderators are younger than me.

mattvinyl

Aspirant
Thanks for sharing the Manual. I may just have to use that in large parts.
I'm thinking of "starting again" when I finally pluck up the courage to go to new software.
This will help greatly, thanks again.