Yahoo Groups shutting down 15-Dec-2020

RisingSun

Participant
I haven't looked at Yahoo Groups in a decade, but at one time they were a big deal. Just received this announcement today.

Screen Shot 2020-10-14 at 12.10.07 AM.png

doubt

Tazmanian
Take care, most probably it's a scam.
Probably coming from .comms, yahoo.net or similar.
Edit:
service.comms.yahoo.net

Last edited:

Mike Jaquish

Aspirant
Actually, it is for real.

Except, you cannot download your Group content. We lost a lot of photos and family content.

RisingSun

Participant
It's legit but it's not exactly big news. A few news sources wrote about it.

To be clear, I wasn't posting it up to suggest anyone take action. Yahoo Groups was one of the precursors to forums and it has been irrelevant for a long time.

Alpha1

Administrator
Yahoo Answers also is UGC, but I dont think they will take that one down. its doing quite well.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
A shame these oldschool communication vectors are getting sunset, but there's also the element of allowing some historic data to be 'forgotten'. Eternal preservation of the most trivial BS doesnt suit well today's privacy-averse computing ecosystems.

Mitsuru

Aspirant
I have not heard or been to Yahoo groups since like 2010. This reminds me when Groups MSN died. I used to be part of so many and have my own too.

feldon30

Fan
Self-hosted e-mail lists aren't THAT hard to setup, and there are other services like groups.io.

dojo

Passionate admin
And then I see people flock to use Facebook groups thinking it's too big to fail :D

feldon30

Fan
And then I see people flock to use Facebook groups thinking it's too big to fail :D
What people don't understand is, Facebook is the final arbiter and they don't care. If you piss them off in any way or they feel you haven't provided them with your exact real name and they don't like your government issued ID, then they delete your account and EVERY discussion you've ever initiated in every page, group, etc. It is arson.

Demon_skeith

Enthusiast
Looks like they are killing off Yahoo answers next, a lot of knowledge is going to be lost.