XFtoWP - XenForo and WordPress integration

Oldsmoboi

Fan
I've always been interested in seeing how the forum based pages (XF or IPB) perform against Wordpress. My opinion is they don't perform as well, so take it as a drop in the bucket of opinions. So if you're on the train, might not be a bad idea to start planning the departure earlier than later.

I have always struggled with SEO on IPB.Pages. Even tweaking the settings the search engines want to rank the forum pages higher than main article pages. The problem is with a flaw in the original design of Pages years where comment activity on an article didn't show up in View New Content. They gave you the option to use the Forums system to store the comments to get around that.. which worked, but then the Forum ranked higher than the article.

Fast forward a few years and they introduce the Activity stream which can be modified to fix the comments issue.

But now those of us who used pages for years have a problem... if you switch back to using the Pages system for comments, the existing article comment saved in the forums are lost and the article looks like it has zero comments when in fact it could have hundreds. It was yet another example of IPS leaving behind long-time customers without a viable path forward in their new setup.

Moving Pages to Wordpress and Forum to XF will be a giant pain in the ass, but after a few months of indexing and some creative 301 Redirects, things should be back to normal. All of SEO seems to orbit around Wordpress in such a way that even a default install will rank well pretty easily... if you've got good content, you'd have to try to get bad SEO results on a Wordpress site.

kolakube

Participant
I've always been interested in seeing how the forum based pages (XF or IPB) perform against Wordpress. My opinion is they don't perform as well, so take it as a drop in the bucket of opinions. So if you're on the train, might not be a bad idea to start planning the departure earlier than later.
I think forums perform better in user engagement and activity. Most WP sites serve as static sites and landing pages but the best ones act as blogs, which are easy to grow out of once you start to get readers. XF adds a lot of missing pieces of user engagement to the powerhouse that is WordPress so it is exciting to see how sites will be built together in the future.

DigNap15

Fan
There is no way I want anything to do with Word Press
I have a XF forum, with a hand coded website attached to it.
I get hundreds of hits ecah day to my webiste looking for word press code!

Oldsmoboi

Fan
I think forums perform better in user engagement and activity. Most WP sites serve as static sites and landing pages but the best ones act as blogs, which are easy to grow out of once you start to get readers. XF adds a lot of missing pieces of user engagement to the powerhouse that is WordPress so it is exciting to see how sites will be built together in the future.

My site started 20 years ago as just a fan forum for GM cars. Later I expanded it with the Pages product so that the primary thrust was articles and reviews with the forums as an area for users to talk cars.

kolakube

Participant
All of SEO seems to orbit around Wordpress in such a way that even a default install will rank well pretty easily... if you've got good content, you'd have to try to get bad SEO results on a Wordpress site.
I'm not sure just because a site is built on WP it has inherently better SEO, there is just more well known SEO tools for the platform. All sites are just markup at the end of the day!

There is no way I want anything to do with Word Press
I have a XF forum, with a hand coded website attached to it.
I get hundreds of hits ecah day to my webiste looking for word press code!
I admire the simplicity, and when you decide to start posting more you may find it advantageous to use a CMS-even if not WP-that makes it easier to write and organize content.

Oldsmoboi

Fan
I'm not sure just because a site is built on WP it has inherently better SEO, there is just more well known SEO tools for the platform. All sites are just markup at the end of the day!

I admire the simplicity, and when you decide to start posting more you may find it advantageous to use a CMS-even if not WP-that makes it easier to write and organize content.
But again, I'm speaking of the articles I'm writing / have written. Content Type for Content type, I think an article written in a Wordpress base install will rank better than an article written in a Forum on XF or IPS. I think WP will also do better than IP.Content too. It's all about the type of content being posted and it's my articles that I want to rank the most.

DigNap15

Fan
My site started 20 years ago as just a fan forum for GM cars. Later I expanded it with the Pages product so that the primary thrust was articles and reviews with the forums as an area for users to talk cars.

Hi, are you running a forum and if so what software and what are these "pages" you speak of?

If I click on your link I get some sort of error message

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
Pages is the content management addon for IPB that is first-party. Very versatile.

Oldsmoboi

Fan
Hi, are you running a forum and if so what software and what are these "pages" you speak of?

If I click on your link I get some sort of error message
Pages is is the IPS app for articles on my site, but it can be a full on database if you want it to be.
My site is loading fine for me... not sure what the issue was.

kolakube

Participant
Update: the new user syncing, logging, bulk actions, and slew of other improvements are nearly ready with XFtoWP 1.5 RC1 now available to all licensed customers.

Read more at Xenforo.com

Lots of new functionality is on the way now that version 1.5 is finally closing in on being marked stable after going through the scorcher in the summer months.

Enjoy and I hope you get big results with these new power features!