XenForos development pace?

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
Something something XF trophies?

Also, 'most of the free forums' do not have the features you're suggesting. Free forums are still debating on having likes as a core feature, let alone reactions (which everyone else has been doing for years)

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
It's a couple of spoiler images talking about - as the link implies - achievements. Hence my 'something something XF trophies' which from what the screenshots imply, is similar in base functionality (though the real implementation may do something quite different in terms of features)

tony45

Enthusiast
For those of us w/o current client access can you share what's upcoming in 4.6?

This is from their blog

mysiteguy

Fanatic
P.s. Hypothetically speaking, even if Ipb will stop altogether adding new super cool and useful features, it will take xf a couple of decades to catch up with their current way of moving forward. Even a snail is faster lol :D

That's the most hyperbolic statement I've seen in this thread.

FTL

Adherent
It's been years now (September 2020) since XF released any significant new features and the point release bug fix cycle seems to be getting longer too since they launched XF Cloud in late 2021. Shame, as it's a great product that I use for my site and it's so reasonably priced.

JulianD

Participant
I have to agree. Development speed is getting worse every year. The product works and it's stable. No doubt about that. But I definitively would like to receive more frequent meaningful updates.

I know they released XF Cloud this year but it's my perception that it took them a big chunk of development time from the base product.

Last edited:

Web Diva

Enthusiast
Do you think a small amount of xenForo's slower releases or updates may be because of the recent economical strains in the past two years that are affecting most countries because of the pandemic, (i.e. strain on development staff shortages) because of it etc?

FTL

Adherent
Do you think a small amount of xenForo's slower releases or updates may be because of the recent economical strains in the past two years that are affecting most countries because of the pandemic, (i.e. strain on development staff shortages) because of it etc?
Yeah, possibly. We don't really know the internal workings of the company, but it's possible, even though they work from home.

DigNap15

Habitué
Do they have as many active forums as they had say two years ago?
Have they seen the writing on the wall?
Is it harder to find or think of new features (eg Windows rarerly has any useful new feautures) (nor does Word.
or are they putting all of their recoources into their cloud system?

The last update 2.29 seemed to fix a whole lot of obscure bugs.

FTL

Adherent
Do they have as many active forums as they had say two years ago?
Have they seen the writing on the wall?
Is it harder to find or think of new features (eg Windows rarerly has any useful new feautures) (nor does Word.
or are they putting all of their recoources into their cloud system?

The last update 2.29 seemed to fix a whole lot of obscure bugs.
They really need to add a decent basic CMS system for articles like vB has. They don't have to be as fully featured as Invision as that would increase the cost significantly. If they had this one feature, then for me, they'd be golden.

After over a year of use, it still impresses me how smoothly and glitch-free XF works. It's really something.

Chris

Administrator
I guess I'm getting old....I like reliable things, and don't always require the latest technology that won't be around in 6 months.
Do what you do, really well. Look at how many sites are still running the vB 3.x line....or even that one site running vB2.x

I know my thought is in the minority here.

sbjsbj

Fan
At this point it's beating a dead horse.

What worse is that they hired 2 new developers to the team and the pace got even slower than before. How is this even possible?

It blows my mind how slow the progress is. I know how fast people can develop addons, complex ones (which would be more complex than each HYS). And the official devs are more skilled than them + their whole job is to focus on XF because it's their job compared to 3rd party developers who do it in their free times. The official devs should create 10x the things we see in HYS but sure, I take the normal HYS amount, if we'd see it every 6 months. But it's now 2 years.

It's like a hate-love relationship. I can't praise XF enough with their solid, robust and fairly-priced software. On the other hand I really hate that XF hasn't shown anything innovative the past 10 years and at this point forget innovation, the web/mobile world is evolving while we are cheering that now we can add "banners" to our profiles... or that the user can change his username. Yep, that's from 2.2... I can't wait for 2.3 to happen when our avatars are now octagonal and we can use colors in our nicknames....

"XF 2.0 should make development faster" they said. + 2 new devs....
I am waiting for Slavik to explain us that the "market is booming", that he had never this much migrations. If I look at Digitalpoint's new released stats, XF is actually gaining more and more ground. They should make money more than before but we get the short stick somehow.

I wish they bought out addons and integrated them to the software. They will never keep up with the expectations anymore, they are slower than a turtle. But if they bought out addons, that would bring them back to square one. After that now they could focus on actual real innovative things.

Truth be told, we are sinking.

Last edited:

sbjsbj

Fan
Sinking? I don’t get the dramatic expression here.
It's an expression used when the trend is going downwards. Like a ship, when it sinks.

Will you argue that the trend is going upwards? Be my guest.

Chris

Administrator
I would argue the trend on thinking a single piece of software is the only reason a community is successful is moot.
I’ve seen communities run on old Perl scripts be successful in 2022.

Depending on a single piece of software for a business model exposes a risk. XenForo does not charge enterprise level pricing, and shouldn’t be expected to deliver those results although often times they are.