XenForos development pace?

DarthVader

Aspirant
If this is not in the right section, please feel free to move/merge the thread.

I would consider myself an advanced user of both Xenforo & InvisionCommunity (Im in the software dev world). I love both, but I've been drifting away from XF in the past year or so.

It feels like XenForo's pace has slowed and still is slowing. XenForo's last release that genuinely benefited the user (forum user, not an administrator; features, enhancements) was in August 2020
(7 months ago).

Invison Community – (Feburary 2021). - One month ago.

We are in a modern era of the internet, and when you compare XF to Invision, I would consider XF a skeleton and Invision the complete package. A 7 + month feature release cycle for XF won't cut it.
Admins may be satisfied for the time being with the "fixes & stability," but in the end, without users, there are no admins.

XF I may not be the appropriate person to recommend this, but it may be time to reevaluate your plan (monthly feature sprint cycles?). Invision is hiring multiple candidates, XF have you hired the one you were seeking months back?

I joined one of the Insight episodes for a short period, and to be quite frank, I would have liked to see more XF vs. Audentio (ThemeHouse).
Hats off to Mike and the team for putting together a great series, but with a 7-month feature release cycle, the priorities should be elsewhere. XF – Hire Mike and team and watch the rocket take-off (for the record, I have no affiliation with TH).

May the force be with you.

tony45

Enthusiast
I like both companies. In fact, my recommendation is: if you are on the budget and need a basic forum (very good, indeed) then go to Xf. If you need to offer an integral experience to your community then go to invision.
But now the gap of the cicle of development between them is getting bigger, particulary after invision 4.5. This year they will add some kind of gamification to their product, and more PWA features, lazy loading and after that more mobile features (their app is still on alpha stage).
IF Xf doesnt pick up their pace invision will be the future and the dominant force once again, as they will have much much more to offer than their competitor

Last edited:

bluecrab

Neophyte
I run two SMF-based forums and need to migrate to a newer, more modern platform. I was considering XenForo, but it looks like Invision will do the trick too (I'd be running self-hosted). With that said, which would you recommend?

tony45

Enthusiast
I run two SMF-based forums and need to migrate to a newer, more modern platform. I was considering XenForo, but it looks like Invision will do the trick too (I'd be running self-hosted). With that said, which would you recommend?

It depends of what kind of community are you setting up. Can you tell us?

ibaker

Enthusiast
I have been saying this about XF for years now and ended up wasting many years of my life waiting for XF to grow t it's full potential I believed it could have been when it was first released. But after those many years of the XF team just sitting back taking money I switched to Invision and my life, along with my 12,000 users became exciting again.

To really boost XF they needed to have created an Invision style Pages add on which would have satisfied many XF owners with the ability to very easily create comprehensive sites, that would have filled the gap very quickly and easily.

Bozza

Enthusiast
This is timely - I was about to embark on a migration of a large (9.7m post) forum from vBulletin 4 to Xenforo.

Am I going in the wrong direction?

TLChris

Administrator
This is timely - I was about to embark on a migration of a large (9.7m post) forum from vBulletin 4 to Xenforo.

Not at all.

You haven't given much info around your setup - but if you're that far along I wouldn't change course. That might be best for a new thread.

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
That mostly depends on what you want out of the platform.

XF is more a spiritual successor to vB than IPS, and if your members like the vB mindset, XF is a smaller jump.

Also if you’re on vB4, that implies that the development of “new” features is less important (and stability often is more important to an established community for sure) and that the supposed lack of pace is actually more suited to what your community wants and needs.

End of the day, it’s about you and your community - and I think on balance XF is probably more aligned as a fit for you than IPS is. This is not and should not be construed as criticism of IPS. Either platform is a solid platform for an established community.

Gladius

Enthusiast

That depends entirely on what your needs and expectations are. That said, assuming that you also have a large membership and not just a large post count, your members will transition to XF a bit more easily than IC. But that's just one of the factors in the overall equation.

Edit: here comes the post train... :D

Wes of StarArmy

Adherent
I agree, XF is still a very solid choice. It is actively developed, new features are being worked on and added, and some of the stuff is years ahead of the glacial pace of competitors who haven't added key user engagement things like push notifications or likes. It has an active add-on community and is basically the best forum software you can buy if you're primarily concerned with your site being a forum. On my forum I'm really enjoying the upvote/downvote Q&A type forums introduced in the latest big release, which has let me get user feedback on ideas in a straightforward way.

Let me put it this way: To the best of my knowledge, there's basically no better options out there than XF. If you want a whole suite then IPS or Woltlab might be competitive. Xenforo is also very easy to migrate into from VB, it has converters readily available out of the box and a system for post redirect, you will likely have everything set up in 1 day with minimal downtime.

zappaDPJ

Administrator

Not at all. For the reasons already given, Xenforo is the logical upgrade to vBulletin 4. In the short term it'll provide an easier path forward for both you and your members. Long term it has a highly skilled, active development team and first class support.

DigNap15

Fan
If XF has a larger share of the market (as the figures seem to say) then there must be a good reason for this.

I think that XF rely on their third party developers to make add-ons to fill out the forums features.
If they added many of those features out of the box, then those developers would lose an income stream.

Pete

Add-on developers will always find their niche in the market. It’s just a different focus and different approach to the same problem.

And i for one like having the choice.

Last edited:

Pete

I have the advantage that I'm perfectly capable of maintaining any add-ons I choose to pick up - or write my own, but I'm also well aware that I'm not the rule but the exception.

ibaker

Enthusiast
If you want to just want to remain as a forum then like others have said XF is the easiest way to go but limited. However if you want to progress your forum to a full fledged solution that can adapt to any of your users needs down the track then IPS would be worth the effort.

Pete

However if you want to progress your forum to a full fledged solution that can adapt to any of your users needs
Given that he's still on vB4 I would suggest he isn't looking to progress to such a thing any time soon. Not everyone needs a full suite solution for everything. It _is_ possible to have just a forum on its own that is successful if it is what the members are used to and like.

Here's the thing... just because you advocate it because it worked for you doesn't mean it will work the same for everyone.

Russ

Administrator
XF has always been one to announce features when they're basically ready to launch (mostly). Comparing recent large updates to both platforms, you can see the difference in their approach to announcements.

XF 2.2 first feature announced June 1st, 2020
XF 2.2 beta 1 released to customers July 23, 2020
XF 2.2 stable release September 29, 2020

IPS 4.5 first feature announced July 31, 2019
IPS 4.5 stable release September 17, 2020

This has really been the case for XenForo their entire development cycle. My dates might be off from the quick search I did. Quiet time from XF announcement area doesn't mean lack of development. I enjoy IPS's updates throughout the development cycle just to sort of give you a peak at what's coming, even if it's far away. But, when the HYS's start coming for XF, it's usually a really fun time for the next few weeks.

borbole

Adherent
I like both companies. In fact, my recommendation is: if you are on the budget and need a basic forum (very good, indeed) then go to Xf. If you need to offer an integral experience to your community then go to invision.
But now the gap of the cicle of development between them is getting bigger, particulary after invision 4.5. This year they will add some kind of gamification to their product, and more PWA features, lazy loading and after that more mobile features (their app is still on alpha stage).
IF Xf doesnt pick up their pace invision will be the future and the dominant force once again, as they will have much much more to offer than their competitor

I agree with this. Personally I think that xf can not be called a competitor of Ipb anymore. It has fallen way way behind imo. They just can not keep up with Ipb in developement and in every other aspect.

If you look at their release circle and compare them, you will see what a great difference there is in the stuff that each forum has added to their new versions. 80% of stuff that xf has added in their lastest version were staff that already existed in Ipb for years and should have been added in xf a long time ago. Hell, most of the free forums have them too.

Check out this amazing feature that Ipb is going to add to their newest version, 4.6. btw

P.s. Hypothetically speaking, even if Ipb will stop altogether adding new super cool and useful features, it will take xf a couple of decades to catch up with their current way of moving forward. Even a snail is faster lol :D