XenForo to vB5 - A viable option?

Paul M

Limeade Addict
I dont remember creating this thread :)

I dont really see why anyone is arguing here.
It doesnt matter who likes or dislikes it, its a viable option.
It might not be the best option for some, but thats a different thing entirely.

I dont like SMF, I dont like Lithium, and tbh, I'm not over keen on XF - but all are viable options.
vB3 & vB4 are equally viable options still, its all down to choice - as said above, each to their own.

mysiteguy

Devotee
The way I see it, my opinion only, is VB5 is a turd. No matter how much you polish a turd, under any shine it's given... it's still a turd.

we_are_borg

Administrator
What converters are there to go from "x script" to vBulletin 5 with out making use paid option or using another script as middleman. So only straight away convertions.

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
People from England have a way of speaking that often seems salty
So true! You damn Americans just don't understand our snark at times. To me, Paul just sounds normal (a bit ornery sometimes, but that's expected since he's in the Midlands :D and they're well-known for being blunt ;) )

I dont like SMF, I dont like Lithium, and tbh, I'm not over keen on XF - but all are viable options.
Out of nosiness and nothing else - which forum softwares do you like (other than our beloved vB3 - and no, no snark there, I really do love that version!).

Digital Doctor

Tazmanian
There is no reason to use vB5.
It is a dead product which is inferior to all other competition based on any reasonable measure.
No ecosystem.

A great analogy is that vB5 is like the WiiU.
Failed concept, with a poor launch, and no third party support.

I'd be happy to recommend vB6 if it was a reasonable product. Until then, my suggestion is that Internet Brands is on a slow steady exit from the marketplace.

ozzy47

Tazmanian Veteran
There is no reason to use vB5.
It is a dead product which is inferior to all other competition based on any reasonable measure.
No ecosystem.

A great analogy is that vB5 is like the WiiU.
Failed concept, with a poor launch, and no third party support.

I'd be happy to recommend vB6 if it was a reasonable product. Until then, my suggestion is that Internet Brands is on a slow steady exit from the marketplace.
You may not like it, nor think it is a viable product, but those admins running it, and running it successfully would disagree with your assumption. ;)

ozzy47

Tazmanian Veteran
I'm not so ill-informed as to have fallen down that trap. I've run vB3 and 4 previously.
I did not ask nothing about vB3 nor vB4! I asked about vB5, since you seem to know all about its inner workings, you must be running it on a live site somewhere. ;)

Alfa1

Administrator
viable is a vague criteria. Obviously there are webmasters who think vb5 is a viable option, while 95% of vbulletin webmasters apparently do not consider it a viable option for their needs. Quite a few webmasters tried vb5 and did not find it a viable option and moved to another platform.
But if the question is if it is possible to run a forum on it then the answer is yes.