Xenforo Support Forum

Wes of StarArmy

Adherent
Possibly, and you could probably get some support here, but why do you ask?

Did you get banned from there or something? Is your copy of Xenforo licensed?

Blurr

Aspirant

I have a legal license and am not banned, but I think it is very slow to get an answer there. Then I do not understand why you should talk unnecessary **** to my question?

Blurr

Aspirant
theadminzone.com

Can I ask why?
I have many questions about Xenforo, think it is very cumbersome, do not understand anything about Xenforo. With phpb it was very easy to find the right file, the right lines. It was just a click on the right and you got what css or html file it was but on Xenforo it is very strange. In short, I understand absolutely nothing and I have asked Xenforo himself, there are very good answers, a moderator throws out two instructions that he thinks I should read. Reading them is not something I have time for, I did not read anything about phpbb and I am not a programmer but still I made my pphpbb forum what I wanted. On Xenforo I can not even find the right file. Why I asked if there was another forum to support Xenforo is that I do not want to "spam" it is the forum with a hundred thousand questions.

Blurr

Aspirant

I searched for something I want to do on my forum, then I got this thread
https://xenforo.com/community/threa...tion-message-when-marking-forums-read.161016/

Yeah, they don't like this question. I asked too. It's like we're trying to violate some core value they have. They even told me mark read was "destructive."

I did however get 3 PMs from 3 entities none of which had very many posts, assuring me they could do this on a paid basis no problem. Release it as an addon then, I thought.... As I ignored their offers.

So now you may understand why I want to avoid that crap site Xenforo.com. Had I known better I would not have bought Xenforo but now I have to get used to it or as I think, rather nicer stuff and worse forums like vBulletin but get their job done.

Russ

Administrator
If you didn't explicitly state you wanted to be contacted about a feature and folks are spamming you for paid work, I'd suggest reporting the conversation.

It's against the terms of XF to do that https://xenforo.com/community/help/terms/
"Service and resource providers may not solicit via conversations unless direct communication is explicitly invited."

XF will have no idea it goes on unless it's reported.

Blurr

Aspirant
If you didn't explicitly state you wanted to be contacted about a feature and folks are spamming you for paid work, I'd suggest reporting the conversation.

It's against the terms of XF to do that https://xenforo.com/community/help/terms/
"Service and resource providers may not solicit via conversations unless direct communication is explicitly invited."

XF will have no idea it goes on unless it's reported.
I was not contacted for a paid job, I took the post as an example of how it is on Xenforo. This is not a forum I enjoy and do not want help from there, I have read other members' questions and they are completely unpleasant types. It's about, I ask: How can I remove this? Then comes the example of the moderator Brogan and says: NO you should not remove you should keep it, you know nothing we know what to have and not to have. Do you think you want to ask something then in such a forum? They scare away members who paid money for support. That's why I'm looking for other forums that support Xenfor.

Forgot to say that I asked one thing on Xenforo, then Brogan deletes my post.

Russ

Administrator
I was not contacted for a paid job, I took the post as an example of how it is on Xenforo. This is not a forum I enjoy and do not want help from there, I have read other members' questions and they are completely unpleasant types. It's about, I ask: How can I remove this? Then comes the example of the moderator Brogan and says: NO you should not remove you should keep it, you know nothing we know what to have and not to have. Do you think you want to ask something then in such a forum? They scare away members who paid money for support. That's why I'm looking for other forums that support Xenfor.

Sorry, I didn't realize you were quoting someone.

Is this you?

Brogan doesn't just randomly delete things because you asked something on XenForo.

It sounds like you're not happy that you can't get a solution for a specific thing you want to change on XenForo. I'm sure that's frustrating but it's not the fault of XenForo or the moderators. I'm not even sure why removing the prompt is such a big deal, I feel like once you do remove it you'll have users contacting you saying they accidentally clicked it and now everything shows as read. The prompt is there to confirm an action that can't be undone, it's a useful feature.

Blurr

Aspirant
Sorry, I didn't realize you were quoting someone.

Is this you?

Brogan doesn't just randomly delete things because you asked something on XenForo.

It sounds like you're not happy that you can't get a solution for a specific thing you want to change on XenForo. I'm sure that's frustrating but it's not the fault of XenForo or the moderators. I'm not even sure why removing the prompt is such a big deal, I feel like once you do remove it you'll have users contacting you saying they accidentally clicked it and now everything shows as read. The prompt is there to confirm an action that can't be undone, it's a useful feature.
That's me. The same function exists on phpbb and on phpbb I removed it. I was not contacted by any member. But if I want to remove what several others have asked the same thing, there are older threads but this is the newest. So it is no one else's problem whether it should remain or not. There are some complaints directed at roach Brogan. But I want to release Brogan now. To the question, are there other forums besides Xenforo.com that you know of?

Bionic Rooster

Adherent
In short, I understand absolutely nothing and I have asked Xenforo himself, there are very good answers, a moderator throws out two instructions that he thinks I should read. Reading them is not something I have time for
If you don't have time to read the documentation I doubt you will find the time to ask all those questions you have and read all the answers.
I have found the staff and members at Xenforo to be very professional and helpful.

NYCGuy76

Fanatic

Why would you say that? That’s so wrong. You’d be surprised on how many people prefer to look for help elsewhere.

Wes of StarArmy

Adherent
I asked because I wanted to know. People usually just use the Xenforo support forum, because it's the best and centralized place for support, unless they don't have a license or something happened. I was right, too: There's apparently some sort of beef he has with the Xenforo staff as evidenced by the posts above.

Bengie

Participant
It's not just the speed of responses, the main thing is the lack of a proper and helpful answer.
You ask a question because you don't know how to do something and all you get back most
of the time is "In the ACP", that's no help to anyone.

Abraham54

Aspirant
Blurr - I moved from phpBB to XenForo.
When you first started with phpBB you had to learn how phpBB works, have you forgotten that.
XenForo is so much better than phpBB and has like phpBB a learning curve.

Tracy Perry

Opinionated asshat
It's not just the speed of responses, the main thing is the lack of a proper and helpful answer.
You ask a question because you don't know how to do something and all you get back most
of the time is "In the ACP", that's no help to anyone.
You are aware that once you are told it's "In the ACP", there is a simple search function to utilize. So many people don't realize it's there and fail to utilize it. As long as your phraseology is correct, you can generally successfully find it.

Dubbed Navigator

Adherent
I don't think xenforo or thier staff are the problem. There are occasions when brogan gets mentioned as being a bit to the point, but other than that all good.

I think the problem is your expectations, and if I'm going to be honest, your attitude. The I don't have time for this and that really isn't what you associate with the administration of a forum.

Tracy Perry

Opinionated asshat
I don't think xenforo or thier staff are the problem. There are occasions when brogan gets mentioned as being a bit to the point, but other than that all good.
It's not necessarily the staff, but I've seen other experienced administrators do similar, forgetting that not everyone has been running the script for any length of time. That's one of the reasons I always tried to answer as if the person was a new owner and then if they bitched about being treated like a newbie step it up to the more experienced admin level.