xenforo or invision for a new project?

Chemical

Participant
For a new install I wouldn't consider either. Both have issues. XF living in yesteryear and Invision with a sporadic and disjointed approach to UX. But if you insist on one or the other, then XF would be my choice. At least with XF you can rely on its glacial approach to innovation not to throw up any nasty surprises.

Outside of the above, I'd look at Flarum, Discourse and NodeBB. These are similar to XF in that they are largely single focus suites, but they do it so well. Also, the mobile experiences, especially with Discourse, are way in front of both XF and Invision.

tony45

Enthusiast
.you can't get access to any of the add-ons that you have purchased or can purchase any more add-ons unless you pay to renew your IPS install as well.

What? you can buy and download resources directly from the developer. May be invision dont like that, but it is allowed, as always did

"I want to stress that you are welcome to contact an author for manual file provisions if you would like and we do not prohibit them from providing it. You may also purchase from some authors directly if you wish. The only caveat for both cases is, you would use the manual (old) framework to install and update these resources manually."

ibaker

Enthusiast
Have you tried asking the bigger authors that don't have websites with purchase ability if you can buy from them direct? People like Adriano Faria, InvisionHQ, etc

rfclements

Aspirant
I’ve used both, and I definitely prefer Xenforo. Invision is good, but I like the simplicity of Xenforo from both the admin and user side.

mysiteguy

Fanatic
Outside of the above, I'd look at Flarum, Discourse and NodeBB. These are similar to XF in that they are largely single focus suites, but they do it so well. Also, the mobile experiences, especially with Discourse, are way in front of both XF and Invision.

For anyone new to forums, and/or not comfortable with using a shell, all three are more difficult to install and may not even be possible in some hosting environments. For a more experienced person, sure they can be good options, but I would not suggest NodeBB on anything critical or "production" (far too buggy).

JayCeeS

The Alpacas Are After Me
Have you tried asking the bigger authors that don't have websites with purchase ability if you can buy from them direct? People like Adriano Faria, InvisionHQ, etc

I bought directly from Adriano multipe times over the years without issue, and InvisionHQ (not nearly as much and its been awhile) also without issue. I personally have no issue with the new marketplace setup, identifiying apps/plug ins that have a update available is so much easier and quicker to get done. I can shop the marketplace without leaving my site (not that going to IPS site to look was an issue).

As far as the OP's question, I'll pick IPS everytime, I've always had great support from the staff and on the forum, the software has always performed well. That said I once had an XF license but that was when XF first became available so thats been awhile ago, I didn't really care for it (still don't prefer it as a user), not that it has issues its just not my taste.

Chemical

Participant
For anyone new to forums, and/or not comfortable with using a shell, all three are more difficult to install and may not even be possible in some hosting environments. For a more experienced person, sure they can be good options, but I would not suggest NodeBB on anything critical or "production" (far too buggy).

Can’t disagree with the sentiment of that, I’m just pointing out that there are other options out there. With regards being far too buggy, add Invision 4.5 to that list.

Lewis3262

Aspirant
I know there are many topics here about this, but I want to create my topic to explain my needs,
I used vB since 3 and currently use 5, I want to use some thing new for a new project,
my requirements
1- mainly forums (no blog, no gallery, ......... etc)
2- better performance
3- more mods/style customization
4- price not an issue
thanks to all
Although price isn't an issue, honestly, I'd go MyBB. It's forums with little bloat, and while it may not be as advanced as XF or IPS, performance has been great for me and there are loads of plugins, more free than not. But if you're set on those choices then yeah, they're both good and bad in their own ways, but based on the fact you're looking for mainly forums (I've tried both software), I'd lean to XF