xenforo or invision for a new project?

asd937

Aspirant
I know there are many topics here about this, but I want to create my topic to explain my needs,
I used vB since 3 and currently use 5, I want to use some thing new for a new project,
my requirements
1- mainly forums (no blog, no gallery, ......... etc)
2- better performance
3- more mods/style customization
4- price not an issue
thanks to all

we_are_borg

Administrator
You cant go wrong with both of them they have strenght and weaknesses like all software.

we_are_borg

Administrator
Well they do both the samething but IPS has clubs in there forums. Xenforo with version 2.2 will have the same options as IPS with Q&A forums and other types. Like i said both have weakness and strengths you need to give more info what do you want to do with the site.

V0RT3X

Aspirant
I never tried both, that is why I want opinions of who installed and run them.

I thought you tried the demos?

But okay here's my story. Joined XF somewhen 2010, used it for about 8 years, was very active in the german community, translated many addons, coded own too, so yes, I really liked it.

Then came the time I needed something which couldn't be implemented with XF, so after all those years I had to take a look at the competitors again, which were Woltlab and IPS. To make it short, IPS won.

By now I wouldn't use XF for one of my own projects again. In my opinion IPS is simply better and as you can see I know both systems quite well.

But everyone sees that different, so go and really try the demos by yourself.

asd937

Aspirant
Well they do both the samething but IPS has clubs in there forums. Xenforo with version 2.2 will have the same options as IPS with Q&A forums and other types. Like i said both have weakness and strengths you need to give more info what do you want to do with the site.
I want to make a small forum, in certain topic, the target users may be 2000 or less, I want availability of many mods, credit points that can be earned and spent, styles, to make the forum visually appealing.

asd937

Aspirant
I thought you tried the demos?

But okay here's my story. Joined XF somewhen 2010, used it for about 8 years, was very active in the german community, translated many addons, coded own too, so yes, I really liked it.

Then came the time I needed something which couldn't be implemented with XF, so after all those years I had to take a look at the competitors again, which were Woltlab and IPS. To make it short, IPS won.

By now I wouldn't use XF for one of my own projects again. In my opinion IPS is simply better and as you can see I know both systems quite well.

But everyone sees that different, so go and really try the demos by yourself.
I tried demos but running your site is an experience, demos can’t give you.

nice story bro, how is invision regarding addons styles, invite system add on, and credit points system compared with xenforo ?

zappaDPJ

Administrator
Both products will meet your needs but from your initial list of requirements I'd lean slightly towards Xenforo.

we_are_borg

Administrator
I lean to XF too, because its very easy to get Styles and easy adjust. IPS is not bad but the curve is a little higher. But both will do the job.

Uncrowned

Aspirant
I would say that Invision is closer to a direct upgrade from VB5 then Xenforo is. It has very similar apps and packages that would allow fairly seamless transition from VB5 to Invison. Although Xenforo is (debatable of course) still the better forum software for simply having a forum. Both will fit your listed needs and be an update. I personally prefer Invision, but it appears you will not be utilizing the majority of what I enjoy about Invison over Xenforo, so it is basically a "either will work great" answer.

Alan_SP

Neophyte
I never used as admin IPS (but do use vB and XF). I only used IPS as a user and I don't really like it from that perspective. So, I would go with XF at the moment.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
Xenforo gives you a more barebone starting point, from which you're expected to mod your way using a lot of unofficial 3rd-party addons with different terms, prices, renewal periods and obviously unequal coding quality.

IPB gives you a lot out of the box, all officially supported under the vendor's same coding and quality standards. Use or disable whatever you want.

If the initial cost of acquisition is is not an issue, IPB would definitely give you the highest return on your investment with the fewest pain points.

tony45

Enthusiast
credit points that can be earned and spent

Invision marketplace has this resource (Member Shops), created by a fantastic developer. He even went on and coded some more add ons integrated to it.

Last edited:

asd937

Aspirant
Thanks to all for inputs,
I have a question for both xenforo customers and invision customers, if your license expired, do you still have access to latest version before license expiry as in old vB3 days ?, or I have to renew to get access to members download section ?

the same question also for add-on section access, do I have to have an active license to be able to access/buy add-on (specially 3rd party) ?

Last edited:

we_are_borg

Administrator
With Xenforo you have access to everything from expiration date and below. With IPS you lose the ability to download so you are responsible to have the latest version on your local pc. Both allow downloading add-ons from there website if license is expired.

ibaker

Enthusiast
I have both, went from vb to Xenforo however after many years of waiting for them to be the great solution they could be I got sick of waiting plus I haven't agreed with the direction they are now going. But, the absolute biggest issue with IPS is their management approach to their customers and especially their licensing restrictions if you don't wish to renew for a while...you can't get access to any of the add-ons that you have purchased or can purchase any more add-ons unless you pay to renew your IPS install as well.

If I was you I wouldn't hesitate and go Xenforo