XenForo Notification System

ForumApps

Aspirant
I noticed that there aren't any proper notification systems for XenForo and I am unable to understand if there is no need for such an addon or you don't see existing solutions provide any value for your forum.

I saw one from OneSignal released here and was poorly written and there is one from TMA which I haven't used myself. Are you guys using any notification addon for your forum to constantly engage your members? Do you have a better solution to this problem or just email works best for you?

Solidus

Stupid machines!
Using OneSignal and Pushbullet, works great. Alerts come with the app also.

ForumApps

Aspirant
Using OneSignal and Pushbullet, works great. Alerts come with the app also.
How does it work with PushBullet? Do you have addons for your forum and an instruction page asking the users to download the app?

Personally, I don't consider asking users to download an app a solution.
You just want it to work seamlessly?

haqzore

Devotee
You just want it to work seamlessly?
Right.
I put myself in the user's shoes. If I don't already have it, do I want to download an app just to get notifications from a forum? Probably not.

There are a hundred recurring discussions on TAZ over the years about making registration easier, getting people to join, etc etc. And we think requiring an app download just to get notifications is a fair (or likely to occur) expectation? I sure don't.

Steve

Fanatic
Right.
I put myself in the user's shoes. If I don't already have it, do I want to download an app just to get notifications from a forum? Probably not.

There are a hundred recurring discussions on TAZ over the years about making registration easier, getting people to join, etc etc. And we think requiring an app download just to get notifications is a fair (or likely to occur) expectation? I sure don't.
I can say it is handy to get notifications here (also on pixel exit) via Pushover, really a convenience so I’m not clogging up my email with reply alerts. Once some things such as push for iOS Safari come along I think apps will be a thing of the past. I’m definitely not a fan of apps that remove or are not able to show features of a site.

haqzore

Devotee
I can say it is handy to get notifications here (also on pixel exit) via Pushover, really a convenience so I’m not clogging up my email with reply alerts. Once some things such as push for iOS Safari come along I think apps will be a thing of the past. I’m definitely not a fan of apps that remove or are not able to show features of a site.
I agree.

I, as an admin, don't have much problem with it.

But I don't like putting additional hoops in front of my users, expecting them to jump through them.

Alpha1

Administrator
PUSH is the second most popular feature request for XenForo with 160 votes so there certainly is demand for it. I'm not sure why not more developers have released an addon for it. Maybe because it is to be expected that XF2.1 could deliver this feature.

I am using OneSignal but its buggy as can be. Various addons needed to exclude their alerts to avoid errors and there are all sort of things that cause addon conflicts and pages not fully loading. I would be very happy to ditch it for something better.
The TMA addon I want to see more feedback on before using it. I know one site that removed it because there were issues, but I am not sure what exactly.

With PUSHBullet I don't see the point. My members are not going to install an app just to get notifications.

haqzore

Devotee
PUSH is the second most popular feature request for XenForo with 160 votes so there certainly is demand for it. I'm not sure why not more developers have released an addon for it. Maybe because it is to be expected that XF2.1 could deliver this feature.
My vote is there.

I am using OneSignal but its buggy as can be. Various addons needed to exclude their alerts to avoid errors and there are all sort of things that cause addon conflicts and pages not fully loading. I would be very happy to ditch it for something better.
The TMA addon I want to see more feedback on before using it. I know one site that removed it because there were issues, but I am not sure what exactly.
Exactly. I'm ready to leap with TMA, but want to see more from the community before I do.

With PUSHBullet I don't see the point. My members are not going to install an app just to get notifications.
Exactly! 100% agree.

Me: Members - please jump through this hoop for me.
Members: Why?
Me: To get notifications...
Members: ... That's it?
Me: Yep.
Members: :rolleyes:

ForumApps

Aspirant

Thanks for sharing the link. Not sure if it would be native in XF 2.1

Do let me know how TMA turns out for you.

Are you talking about ForumApps :cautious:

ColdCoffee

Aspirant
Talking about ForumApps, not sure if a subscription model works for something that should be proprietary and self hosted. Not many people wish to control their own data I believe

ForumApps

Aspirant
Talking about ForumApps, not sure if a subscription model works for something that should be proprietary and self hosted. Not many people wish to control their own data I believe
Paying $20/mo makes much more sense for forum owners than spending $20k for getting apps developed.

pierce

Habitué
I noticed that there aren't any proper notification systems for XenForo and I am unable to understand if there is no need for such an addon or you don't see existing solutions provide any value for your forum.

I saw one from OneSignal released here and was poorly written and there is one from TMA which I haven't used myself. Are you guys using any notification addon for your forum to constantly engage your members? Do you have a better solution to this problem or just email works best for you?
Thanks

TigrisOculus

Participant
By Xenforo notification system, do you mean e-mail notifications? I see in-app alerts.