xenforo is shady

Status
Not open for further replies.

HectorOmall

Aspirant
I am new to making my own forum. I have administered a few on other people's forums but never my own. My biggest fear was how easy or hard it would it be to install one. I was hoping someone had a video tutorial and could show it was as easy as installing WordPress or not. The community was beneficial, and I got some speedy replies. I got everything I needed to know and more, including a few personal messages. One of the members told me about a free version -vs.- the paid version. I know nothing about xenforo other than when I did a Google search for forums, it was the very first and second result. The third result was here (The Admin Zone). So naturally, my follow up was what was the difference between the two? You can see my thread on their site https://xenforo.com/community/threads/how-easy-is-it-to-install-xenforo.189973/ I was quickly informed that there was no free edition. OK, fair enough. Someone told me there was. I didn't know any better and planned on buying the paid copy anyways since I clearly could use the support. My account is suspended.

HectorOmall

Aspirant
It appears to me like Xenforo is not shady, a random person on the internet is...
Both of them are. I didn't ask anyone person to send me a direct message. And I should not be punished because someone did.

Nabix

Both of them are. I didn't ask anyone person to send me a direct message. And I should not be punished because someone did.

I just read all the posts in that thread. Nothing about that sounds like your being punished for anything? All they want is to find who is sending users spam/malicious private messages. Xenforo is a great software with great support. Very rare we hear bad things about them.

Also, pretty much all php based forum scripts are going to install roughly the same way. With most scripts there is a 'read me' file which outlines how the authors recommend the script to be installed.

HectorOmall

Aspirant
I just read all the posts in that thread. Nothing about that sounds like your being punished for anything? All they want is to find who is sending users spam/malicious private messages. Xenforo is a great software with great support. Very rare we hear bad things about them.

Also, pretty much all php based forum scripts are going to install roughly the same way. With most scripts there is a 'read me' file which outlines how the authors recommend the script to be installed.
My account is suspended, so I see that as punishment. If they wanted anything from me, they really should have messaged me. I was new and not looking to ruffle anyone's feathers.

Thanks for the tip, though. I am already looking for an alternative. I'm just glad I have not yet set up a community or wasted any money. More research, it would seem, is required.

borbole

Adherent
My account is suspended, so I see that as punishment. If they wanted anything from me, they really should have messaged me. I was new and not looking to ruffle anyone's feathers.

Thanks for the tip, though. I am already looking for an alternative. I'm just glad I have not yet set up a community or wasted any money. More research, it would seem, is required.

I did not see anything in your posts there to warrant an account suspension. All your posts were valid. Regarding the part about a free edition, I think that what you might have heard is about the free online demo. That is so potential new customers can check it out and see how it looks like in action before/if they buy a copy.

Anyways, if you are looking for a paid alternative, take a look at Ipb. It is very powerful. And they will not suspend your account for nothing there. They will really listen to you.

Russ

Administrator
Did you already install this "free" copy of XenForo you were messaged about?

Just curious but it says you joined yesterday and someone sent you a message about a free copy. So someone wrote to you before you made any posts on the official XF forums saying there's a free version?

Russ

Administrator
I did not see anything in your posts there to warrant an account suspension. All your posts were valid. Regarding the part about a free edition, I think that what you might have heard is about the free online demo. That is so potential new customers can check it out and see how it looks like in action before/if they buy a copy.

Anyways, if you are looking for a paid alternative, take a look at Ipb. It is very powerful. And they will not suspend your account for nothing there. They will really listen to you.

borbole, we're being provided one side of a story here. We have no idea what XF came across and if IPS would not do the same, silly to claim otherwise. Plenty of past posts of XF welcoming nulled users to the paid side of things without simply banning them, this one as an example https://xenforo.com/community/threads/upgrade-from-nulled-to-legal.142154/

Chris D

XenForo Developer
My account is suspended.
No. It isn't.

Some of your posts were removed but you are still able to login and post if you wish to. In some situations, your replies may be held until approved by a moderator.

That being said, it's very possible your account may get suspended given that we have reason to believe that you're the same person that, on multiple occasions yesterday, registered on the forum and posted garbage like this:

1610400250538.png

And:

1610400279846.png

After wasting the time of several members of staff and community members who wanted to help you with your query about migrating from Invision.

Your proxy/VPN IP address in Canada appears across all of these accounts.

Furthermore you claim you have received a private message on XF.com but given that there are no private message recipient records for your user account that would appear to be a lie.

So, you can call us shady if you like with no particular basis in fact, but, alas, it appears you are the shady one.

Good day, sir.

R0binHood

Habitué
xenforo is shady

giphy.gif

Nabix

Well, if it's one thing you can count on, its the meticulous detective work of the users at TAZ lol

Status
Not open for further replies.