Xenforo is offering discount

Alfa1

Administrator
So do you actually need to renew XF? Or can't you use it without paying for renewals and only pay for updates?
No, there is no need to renew xenforo unless you want new releases. If you do not need new releases then you can save money by letting the license expire. Just like with IPS.

doubt

Tazmanian
So do you actually need to renew XF? Or can't you use it without paying for renewals and only pay for updates?
You can use it with an expired licence but can't get ticket support.

Ingenious

Fan
No, there is no need to renew xenforo unless you want new releases. If you do not need new releases then you can save money by letting the license expire. Just like with IPS
This is what I did. Once everything was stable and working I didn't renew because I didn't have to. When I wanted to update some years later I then renewed to download the latest version.

Mouth

Enthusiast
A price increase can by definition never be a price discount. The two are mutually exclusive.
It's about perception and timeline. When they occur at the exact time, then they are mutually exclusive. When they occur at different times, they are not.
The simple point is I would consume a service in 2019 that I can either buy now for a considerable discount over what I will otherwise need to buy it for in a few weeks/months.

Matthew S

Adherent
I bit. Got mine.
Ditto. Upped my license, plus grabbed a new license + RM for a project I've been wanting to do for a while. Now 2.1 is known and pending, Bob has XF2 RCs of his add-ons, and PixelExit's XF2 styles have matured, the time is right to kick things off. It feels like the waiting in the "wait and see" of XF2 is pretty much over and I can start to move forward. My only main grumble is I still feel ES should be a free add-on to the core license.

I hear what people are saying about XF vs IPS at the moment regarding features/price. For me, I'm comfortable with the XF ecosystem at this time, and don't need or want clubs or blogs. It's not a case of which is better overall, it's a case of which is better for you.

sanction9

Enthusiast
This is what I did. Once everything was stable and working I didn't renew because I didn't have to. When I wanted to update some years later I then renewed to download the latest version.
That can work well enough sometimes, but then you have to also consider addon's & styles, especially if you use a lot of them. Getting important updates for them, including cool new features, sometimes also requires updating the core. I wish I were one of those people who could be content with leaving eveything as is for years at a time, but the truth is I get bored and just need some change once in a while. :)

maksim

Serial Entrepreneur
That can work well enough sometimes, but then you have to also consider addon's & styles, especially if you use a lot of them. Getting important updates for them, including cool new features, sometimes also requires updating the core. I wish I were one of those people who could be content with leaving eveything as is for years at a time, but the truth is I get bored and just need some change once in a while. :)
What about security holes? Do you need an active license to get the patches/updates?