Xenforo is faster

zappaDPJ

Ignoring the rest of the sentence: Yes.

It's something I never noticed even on large active forums including my own. I often used to log out to see how my forums appeared to a guest and if there was a disparity in the response time it was never at all obvious.

Shimei

Fan
The current version of vBulletin (5.4.0) is somewhat faster than it was at launch if viewed as a guest but it slows considerably once you log in and it's still totally unsuitable for a forum with a lot of content or if there's any real degree of activity i.e. http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/

View attachment 50212

I visited your forum for the first time and it loaded between 3-4 seconds. I am located in California though.

Quite a difference between our forums (I'm using VB 5.4) regarding page size. Also, I noticed you're using Canadian Test Server Region. Any reason for that?

CF.jpg

Dubbed Navigator

Adherent
Yet when I saw XF 2 mods, 80% of them are paid.

At the moment they are, look at the ratio of free / paid on XF1 mods - I dont think it would be unreasonable to assume that once developers have a framework for thier mods they can reuse that it will go the same way.

zappaDPJ

Also, I noticed you're using Canadian Test Server Region. Any reason for that?

As far as I'm aware the test sever location and browser type are automatically selected unless you take out a subscription.

Paul M

Super Moderator
Was that the same with previous versions (caching guest pages)?
I dont remember exactly, but some of it has been there since very early versions due to the poor performance.

From memory, I think there is even a special setting for the homepage caching.

Banxix

Enthusiast
At the moment they are, look at the ratio of free / paid on XF1 mods - I dont think it would be unreasonable to assume that once developers have a framework for thier mods they can reuse that it will go the same way.

I like the lite / pro model, more resonable for users. Might be easier if you are already using XF 1 or start a new XF 2 forum, but if you want to migrate from other softwares it would not because everything are paid

https://www.wappalyzer.com/technologies There are still more vB than XF. I believe in this stats more than any above.

Last edited:
Old thread, but for me, XenForo 2 is saving my board. VB 4 was slow, and I’d have to regularly clear caches to keep it from slowing down even more. Server loads were consistently above 1.0, even with little traffic. XenForo — pages load nearly instantly, and server loads are almost always far below 1.0. Should have made the move a year ago.

R0binHood

Habitué
I noticed you're using Canadian Test Server Region. Any reason for that?

GTMetrix locks you to Canada unless you have a subscription.

You can choose your location to get a better idea of page speed if your forum is localised using https://tools.pingdom.com/

I tested a site earlier today and it came in at about 3.5s load time with GTMetrix and a Canadian server, but 0.5s through Pingdom when I chose a London server closer to where the site is hosted

mysiteguy

Fanatic
It is not really that much an issue, even free GTMetrix accounts let you choose a location.

R0binHood

Habitué
Ahh, so you can. Last time checked you couldn't. You do need to be a logged in user though.

mysiteguy

Fanatic
Site speed measuring tools can be a two-edged sword. What matters most is not the scores, but rather how quickly the page renders.

I can tell you how many times I've heard "my scores are a D and a C, what do I need to do to fix this?" when their pages render in under a couple of seconds. And often, raising their scores might actually increase page render spends! I try to tell people to pay attention to how quick the pages come up, and not to panic over individual items in a score.

That's not to say some things shouldn't be addressed, but rather spend 20% of your time on the things which take care of 80% of the speed issues, instead of 80% of your time for a 20% (at best) gain.

overcast

Adherent
There are some issues with xenforo though. I often see that xenforo does not post my comment. It often just does nothing when we click on the post reply button.

vbgamer45

Adherent
Site speed measuring tools can be a two-edged sword. What matters most is not the scores, but rather how quickly the page renders.

I can tell you how many times I've heard "my scores are a D and a C, what do I need to do to fix this?" when their pages render in under a couple of seconds. And often, raising their scores might actually increase page render spends! I try to tell people to pay attention to how quick the pages come up, and not to panic over individual items in a score. [ /QUOTE]
Agreed I look at the scores for some of my sites and a lot of the issues are from externals sites such as google scripts which we have no control over.

Kevin

Oooh, something shiny!
There are some issues with xenforo though. I often see that xenforo does not post my comment. It often just does nothing when we click on the post reply button.
If that was a XF issue you'd have a bunch of admins complaining, sounds more like a slow server.

zappaDPJ

I agree with Kevin, that sounds like a server issue or possibly a browser/ad-block issue. I've never seen or heard of the software respond in that way.

overcast

Adherent
If that was a XF issue you'd have a bunch of admins complaining, sounds more like a slow server.
No idea if it is slow server. I have noticed that here as well. I have also seen that on many other forums too. Some say it's adblocker issue. Some say browser issue. No idea.

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer
vB5 is still slooowwwww - a "slug" as I said before. You don't have to be a license owner to see that that, either.

Go to https://vbulletin.com - see for yourself. One should be able to presume that the company site, run by its own coders and support staff, is putting its best foot forward there, showcasing what vB5 can do as it tries to sell more licenses. But it's still a slug.

Compare it with https://vbulletin.org - or https://xenforo.com - or any forum site NOT running vB5. The difference in performance is unmistakable.
Xenforo.com seems to use Cloudflare, which means that resources are served from where ever is the nearest data-center to the user, while vBulletin.org seems to serve it directly from the origin server which may be very distant from the user.

Additionally, vBulletin.org is using slow HTTP/1.1 instead of HTTP/2 or HTTP/3.
Just something to mention. Not an apples to apples comparison.
https://www.wappalyzer.com/technologies There are still more vB than XF. I believe in this stats more than any above.
Wappalyzer misidentifies many Blackboard / Moodle instances as "MyBB" in it's top sites lists.
I'm not sure how reliable it really is.
No idea if it is slow server. I have noticed that here as well. I have also seen that on many other forums too. Some say it's adblocker issue. Some say browser issue. No idea.
Any errors in the browser console?

Last edited: