Xenforo Comparison To vBulletin

EasyEazy

Participant
I currently run a couple vBulletin forums. Looking to start another forum and have been looking at Xenforo however im looking for some expert advice before I do because I know some love to hump Xenforo like there is no tomorrow.

For those of you you who have used both how do you find Xenforo vs vBulletin in terms of sever use? Once you start adding Xenforo mods is it far better than VB in terms of resources used?

Talk to me people?

OUTL4W

<style>OUTL4W GFX</style> :p
I currently run a couple vBulletin forums. Looking to start another forum and have been looking at Xenforo however im looking for some expert advice before I do because I know some love to hump Xenforo like there is no tomorrow.

For those of you you who have used both how do you find Xenforo vs vBulletin in terms of sever use? Once you start adding Xenforo mods is it far better than VB in terms of resources used?

Talk to me people?

Hey easy,
You've seen me over at vb.org and dbt forum. I do find xF much easier to customize coming from vb3.8 & 4.2 and very mobile friendly.

Somniloquent

Enthusiast
Our host said xf was slightly more resource intensive than vb4, but not enough to really matter. (We use ElasticSearch, which may make a difference.)

esquire

Habitué
Everything is a matter of priorities. vBulletin 3 and 4 still work extremely well for what they do. I think that 4 is still updated and many of the addons still work. I don't know how long it will be updated. I still have a few copies of vb 4 that I don't use and will probably sell, but more because of the fact that I have developed new things using other tools and prefer everything on one platform.

If server speed is your primary issue, then I'd have to ask why - assuming that vB has solved the issue that plagued vB 5 when it came out and for a while thereafter. To me, the reason to use VB over IPS, XF, BurningBoard or any other solution is because VB 4 licenses can be had for much less. Good to use for sites you're not sure about or need a low cost but very reliable system to do that job well - and better than some open source solution. Otherwise, not sure there is a reason to use vBulletin. My preferences away from vB 5 have more to do with the way it functions and the fact that it took them years to just get it working - and I have brand free licenses that I would have upgraded but didn't because the cost wasn't worth the performance hit. Specifically, I don't like the UI, tastes vary. In addition, I found some conflicts of interest in the industries where I spend most of my time. Hence for me it wasn't the right solution. Decide what the most important criteria are for you.