Xenforo CMS Add-On Options

Dubbed Navigator

Adherent
Both the XF 1.x and XF 2.x versions support auto-promoting threads based on the forum section they are in.
They support automatically converting to articles, but not promoting to the portal. I know there is a "hidden" part in the admin panel that allows this, but honestly I've found it pretty pointless.

I may be wrong, but if I am it would prove how awkward that element is to use.

Dubbed Navigator

Adherent
I tend not to use add-ons other than those that I've designed and had coded but I did use XenPorta for a while. I found it fairly reasonable but with two major failings. Poor support as already mentioned here was one issue but what ultimately caused me to ditch it was the way in which it utilized CSS from the core product. That played merry hell with my custom theme and I got sick of having to tweak it at every update.
One of the reasons I switched to XF was the 3rd party dev market. Its now one of the reasons I am considering going back to IPS.

haqzore

Devotee
One of the reasons I switched to XF was the 3rd party dev market. Its now one of the reasons I am considering going back to IPS.
Decades of experience dealing with both great and terrible 3rd party support is what scares me so much about 3rd party addons.

Build your community for years around certain functionality, getting used to it, enjoying it, advertising it to potential members... And it can all just go poof.

No company behind it like the core software.

I share your pain. 3rd party addons are some of the best worst things to deal with.

Dubbed Navigator

Adherent
Decades of experience dealing with both great and terrible 3rd party support is what scares me so much about 3rd party addons.

Build your community for years around certain functionality, getting used to it, enjoying it, advertising it to potential members... And it can all just go poof.

No company behind it like the core software.

I share your pain. 3rd party addons are some of the best worst things to deal with.
Funnily enough, I beleive this is something we disagreed about previously. Good old experience.

mysiteguy

Migration Expert
They support automatically converting to articles, but not promoting to the portal. I know there is a "hidden" part in the admin panel that allows this, but honestly I've found it pretty pointless.

I may be wrong, but if I am it would prove how awkward that element is to use.
You are wrong, and this exact feature is shown in the demonstration video.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "hidden part in the admin panel. It's simply one of the standard settings right there in its options screens.

The portal has an option to display the latest articles from any forum, so anything posted there is automatically promoted to the front page. Some with any thread you manually convert to an article --- it's automatically promoted to the front page. You simply need to use the widget it has for this on the front page.

I do this all the time with my own sites - I make new threads in the article sections of my forums and they automatically promote display on the front page (or anywhere else I put an article widget).

Dubbed Navigator

Adherent
You are wrong, and this exact feature is shown in the demonstration video.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "hidden part in the admin panel. It's simply one of the standard settings right there in its options screens.

The portal has an option to display the latest articles from any forum, so anything posted there is automatically promoted to the front page. Some with any thread you manually convert to an article --- it's automatically promoted to the front page. You simply need to use the widget it has for this on the front page.

I do this all the time with my own sites - I make new threads in the article sections of my forums and they automatically promote display on the front page (or anywhere else I put an article widget).

I'll have to have a look, and correct myself of course. Its quite possible that I have misunderstood the instructions or something else.

The "hidden" part was called that by Jaxel himself

1596057628464.png

You have to add promote at the end of the plugin URL

1596057674825.png

This was his changelog about it

1596057882194.png

evcom

Aspirant
I was probably leaning slightly in the IPS direction. The customer service comparison parameter was what sold me on Xenforo.
While customer responsiveness can be factor in the decision making process, such rather small differences in response times would for me not be a tipping point. I value functionality and suitability to my technical requirements higher than customer responsiveness. A reply within approx. 24 hours is fine for me. Customer service is usually something that is not needed very frequently, and most often only during development.

After having developed CMS- and community-sites for nearly 20 years, my experience is, that using add-ons and plugins can make the site maintenance quite complex and time consuming. So where possible, I try to use core functionalities, it makes upgrading so much easier - and you have more time for the community itself.

Pigoo

Enthusiast
While customer responsiveness can be factor in the decision making process, such rather small differences in response times would for me not be a tipping point. I value functionality and suitability to my technical requirements higher than customer responsiveness. A reply within approx. 24 hours is fine for me. Customer service is usually something that is not needed very frequently, and most often only during development.

After having developed CMS- and community-sites for nearly 20 years, my experience is, that using add-ons and plugins can make the site maintenance quite complex and time consuming. So where possible, I try to use core functionalities, it makes upgrading so much easier - and you have more time for the community itself.
Thanks for sharing all that info. Your decision making process & my decision making process can be totally different (and that's totally ok)...but since I'm the original poster of the thread...this thread is really more about what I needed (4 weeks ago)...not what you would have needed.;)

As far as what was said regarding..."Customer service is usually something that is not needed very frequently". I completely disagree. Again this is from your point of view...not my point of view as the original poster of the thread. You may be MUCH more experienced & more knowledgeable than I am...and therefore need a lot less customer service help.

It's been about 4 weeks since I purchased Xenforo...I've probably asked 50+ questions at Xenforo.com...and I continue to ask more questions all the time. As a new user of Xenoforo I have a lot of questions. Average response time to most of those 50+ questions was literally 5-10 minutes...and usually no longer than an hour (which has been totally totally helpful & appreciated)!:)

You & I are different people...and both of us probably value different parameters when it comes to making a decision (which is totally ok). Since I'm the OP of the thread...it's really what I needed that's important in making my purchase decision! Telling me that customer service response time is not important to you is really is not germane. That information probably would have been better posted in your own thread...where you explain how customer service response time is not important to you.:)

evcom

Aspirant
All fine, everyone has different needs and decisions are based on differnt things. I just wanted to share my experience and opinion on it. And this must not necessarily be in line with yours. It more to be understood in the sense "have you thought about this?".

"Customer service is usually something that is not needed very frequently" - I am also not a professional web developer. When I needed support in the past, it was typically more often at the beginning of a project or use of a software. In later years and with gaining more experience, support might not be needed that often anymore. But I agree, this statement might not be true for all administrators, that is why I included "usually". But even then, I might be wrong as the majority of admins need continous support...

DigNap15

Adherent
Much of the support I needed (and still need) on Xenforo is because their manual is sadly lacking in how things actually work.
Eg How does the Report system work
How to configure all the email options