XenForo 2.3 and beyond

XenForo 2.3 HYS series will start from...

• Total voters

sanction9

Adherent
Not likely, too many bugs to fix from 2.2.8 and earlier.
It was a joke :D

I'm just hoping that in the future they might take a cue from the competition and decide it's okay to release a new feature now and then without always having to wait for the next major update. You know, like, maybe we can get a little something new at 2.3.2 or whatever. Surprise us! This always having to wait years for something new is getting old.
:morganna:

Last edited:

TrixieTang

Custom Usertitle
LMFAO the poll options are almost all past now. XF's just trolling y'all at this point.

Overscan

Aspirant
Well, as someone who's run a successful forum since December 2005:

1) SMF (shudder) actually dealt with moving posts between topics in a different way my moderators liked.

It has two functions - split topic and merge topics.

When you want to move some posts from a topic you select split topic on a post and get a choice of

• Only split this post.
  • Split topic after and including this post.
  • Select posts to split.
First two are obvious, the third option shows all the posts in the topic and allows you to select posts, visually displaying the new split topic you are building. This is a key difference - its easily to accidentally miss a post from selection or accidentally select an extra one in Xenforo.

Merge topic would allow you to choose a section and then show topics in order to select a destination.

So the workflow was

1) Post in the destination topic with a "moving posts here" message.
2) Split posts out using split posts button to a new temporary topic.
3) Merge the newly split topic to destination by choosing the topic which you have bumped to the front page.

Now, aside from the visual display of the split topic, it isnt any harder in Xenforo, in fact simpler -

1) Copy URL of destination topic.
2) tick posts to moderate. Select move. Paste in destination.

But my moderators will accidentally move posts from entirely unrelated topic where they had started selecting and then forgotten about it, and then started moderating a different topic without realising they had some posts selected from earlier.

I think the key would be to see a preview of the selected posts before moving / deleting as a sanity check.

2) Accept that the built-in MySQL search is suboptimal even for smaller servers and add basic Elasticsearch support to the core. Have an Enhanced Search addon which allows more customisation of the Elasticsearch options that costs the same as the existing addon for Elasticsearch.

3) Moderation improvements. I like Andrew's Moderator Panel addon, something like that should be core.

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
The main drama with 2) is that smaller servers won‘t necessarily support ElasticSearch as a backend. I don't know if there are any shared hosting providers that even provide an ES instance to use.

If you’re on a VPS this is of course doable but hard to setup if you're not used to it, and out of scope for XF to explain the how. (Some managed services e.g. Cloudways will install an ES instance for you.)

Overscan

Aspirant
The main drama with 2) is that smaller servers won‘t necessarily support ElasticSearch as a backend. I don't know if there are any shared hosting providers that even provide an ES instance to use.

If you’re on a VPS this is of course doable but hard to setup if you're not used to it, and out of scope for XF to explain the how. (Some managed services e.g. Cloudways will install an ES instance for you.)
Sure, but charging you extra for getting usable search doesn't really make sense to me. The extra code in Xenforo is pretty minimal.

Pete

It’s not about the amount of code. It’s a way of limiting the hassle of users wanting support for a feature they don’t/can’t have.

mysiteguy

Migration Expert
Sure, but charging you extra for getting usable search doesn't really make sense to me. The extra code in Xenforo is pretty minimal.
Odds are very good the average support time per user is much higher.

Hopefully the crew is working hard on the development of 2.3 because it appears little is being done to fix the climbing bug report which has jumped to 191 over the passed few releases.

mysiteguy

Migration Expert
I migrated to Xenforo from phpbb as it seemed that XF had much more active development - while it is better, two years and counting between software updates is very long time…

That's simply not so. They've put out updates every few months, one rather recently. Additionally, by most any measure their development is far more active than phpBB.

I'll give you that the development efforts might not produce what you want to see.

Last edited:

Pete

I think the argument is about updates that are feature updates rather than bug fixes or maintenance updates.

Again, imagine being an SMF supporter and having almost 11 YEARS between 2.0 and 2.1. Suddenly 2 years doesn't seem so bad, does it? And it's not like XF has been sat around doing nothing - the launch of XF Cloud wasn't exactly a small feat of engineering to orchestrate.

mysiteguy

Migration Expert
Even if we go with feature updates as the measure, XF out paces phpBB. phpBB took 16 years to go from 3.0 to 3.3. Not as slow as SMF, but still damn slow! And it's look/feel is still stuck in the mid-2000s.

Frode789

Enthusiast
Eh.. Comparing paid platforms vs free platforms is a moot point in that regard.. Obviously, slower feature releases is both normal (and expected, it's free!) on free software such as phpBB.

On paid platforms such as Xenforo, you expect some features to be released now and then. 2 years is a bit more than that in my opinion.. I'd rather have 2-3 new features every half year than wait 2.5 years for a huge update.

koraldon

Aspirant
I didn't try to directly compare between phpBB and Xenforo.
I mentioned phpBB, as my expectation from a Paid solution to have faster and better development compared to a free platform.
I'm happy with my choice, just disappointed by the slow rate of releasing new features.