XenForo 2.2 and beyond

XenForo 2.2 HYS series will start from...

• August

• September

• October

• November

• December

• January 2020

• February 2020

• March 2020

• April 2020

• May 2020

Results are only viewable after voting.

kolakube

Participant
Talking about features, Ipb is way ahead of xf, everyone knows that.

As a convert from IP to XF I don't know that and that is not the point anyway, so you should speak for yourself. Your first post about it was fine, your repeated follow-ups just say the same thing and very obviously exist to be inflammatory; everybody sees this and you pretend not to which just annoys us further.

I am now seeing the value of having a feature as thoroughly done as the new username change capabilities of XF2.2 because every community has members that like to make fools of themselves, and changing their username after a while can probably take some of the heat off them. Great forward thinking from the XF team here and excited to see what's next! Clearly some big changes in the air and the new staff introduction is the most underrated piece of news so far.

Much as I love Xenforo, one of their main problems is that there are so many add-ons. Any new feature they add means that an add-on is no longer required.

I am curious about my addons too but it's always a benefit to see core making some addons functionality redundant, even if the developer has to adapt (it's how addons keep getting better in the longrun too).

Taylor J

Fan
I just hope some features are announced that people have been waiting on. Yes I also think IPS is ahead of XF (even with that said I renewed my XF license over IPS). This feature didn't get my hopes up yet but I will be keeping an eye out for the future weeks announcements.

sanction9

Adherent
I have to confess I wasn't exactly blown away with this first feature announcement, simply because they're features I already have with addons, and except for maybe one of them, XF 2.2 will probably not allow me to get rid of the addons: because the addon's do multiple things, and will probably also do that one thing better.

BUT... having said that, I of course find it best to have these features in the core, so that at least we have some basic functionality there in the event our favorite addons go the way of the dodo. I just wish XF improved on some of these systems more than they do, rather than leaving them as are and going on to the next thing. Prefixes are a good example, at least for me. Why can't they take them to the next level and do something with them like Xon's Multi-prefix addon? Now THAT would be cool, to have something like that in the core. But anyway, enough of that, I'm sure everyone here has their own idea of what features they'd really like to see, and the XF team can't give everyone exactly what they want. I'll just keep my fingers crossed for some further additions that are more exciting to me personally. :cool:

Last edited:

R0binHood

Habitué
I do wonder sometimes what the best strategy is when announcing new features like this. Whether to drip feed them or do a massive new feature announcement dump to get it all over with and get everyone talking about all the new features with all the info available, to get holistic feedback about the upcoming release.

I'm inclined to say drip feeding is best, but do you should you start with minor improvements like this or just bring out the big guns, with the stuff you're most proud of.

I dunno, but I'm excited to see what else is in store. A new have you seen thread reminds me of the pre-2020 days when it didn't feel like the world was going to **** at such a rapid pace. Keep them coming! Online communities need these updates :D

DigNap15

Habitué
I wonder what sales of new licences for Xenforo and Invision are.
We all know that XF has more users.
But what is the share of new sales?

frm

Aspirant
Another point of Profile Cover, this should be applied to threads too. Is very hard to set a cover image for a thread (without using add-ons for this) and for SEO purposes is very, very important. And the add-ons available for this don't do a great job, since they all third party options.
Already made the point of this. Won't be in 2.2, but hopeful for 2.3 if liked? They based profile covers off a 2016 suggestion, prior to when you could basically cover everything new (Pages, groups, events, jobs, fundraisers, etc.) which should've been considered in a 2020-21 update.

Like the post and you might, but probably won't, see it in 2.3.

deslocotoco

Enthusiast
Already made the point of this. Won't be in 2.2, but hopeful for 2.3 if liked? They based profile covers off a 2016 suggestion, prior to when you could basically cover everything new (Pages, groups, events, jobs, fundraisers, etc.) which should've been considered in a 2020-21 update.

Like the post and you might, but probably won't, see it in 2.3.

Yeah, i just liked the suggestion, but probably XF Team will ignore the question again, because since 2016 they ignore with a very annoying arrogance from some team members of the group.

There is so many suggestion and so many things that should be added as default in their system. I hope the 2.2 at least can add some of the features that we use by add-ons.

Like for instance, why the hell a user can't have a option to delete their own account like happens in any app, software or social account?

There is some whata f... is going on in my humble opinion.

Like i said before, i will give XF another shot with 2.2 version and i hope more features come in in the next weeks.

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer
Like for instance, why the hell a user can't have a option to delete their own account like happens in any app, software or social account?
What if they change their minds? People sometimes jump to rash decisions when they're really angry.

Chris D

XenForo Developer
Yeah, i just liked the suggestion, but probably XF Team will ignore the question again, because since 2016 they ignore with a very annoying arrogance from some team members of the group.
Asserting that we have team members with a "very annoying arrogance" might be part of the problem, I don't know, but I'm unable to recall any specific interaction that you may be referring to.

Claiming that since 2016 "we ignore" is factually incorrect because if we were ignoring anyone then I guess 2.0 wouldn't have happened, and 2.1 wouldn't have happened and 2.2 wouldn't be happening. The changes we make are because we listen but you feel "ignored" because we aren't implementing the specific things that you want to see. We have a lot of feedback and ideas to take on board and clearly we can't do everything.

This is obviously just a single example, but as has already been proven it would appear that this isn't a priority for everyone. Indeed it isn't a particular priority for us, either, hence we're not currently planning to provide that functionality at this time though that could change in the future.

It's not like you cannot delete users. That can happen. The user just needs to contact you to request it first. By its very definition, being a forum admin requires a certain amount of administration so having to click "Delete" and optionally rename a user (a feature we added since we started ignoring people in 2016 btw) doesn't seem like a significant issue to me.

On the contrary, if a user wishes to delete their account and remove themselves from your community you may wish to have the opportunity to find out why that might be. Have they been harassed, or otherwise been upset? Is your forum no longer interesting to them? What might you be able to change to get them to stay? Would they prefer you to set the account to "Disabled" in the first instance so that they could return in the future?

I think trying to nurture that relationship with your users is important and may well make them change their mind, rather than just letting them disappear without a word.

haqzore

Devotee
It is quite literally impossible to please everyone with these types of announcements.

From any company, in any industry of software :p

sanction9

Adherent
Asserting that we have team members with a "very annoying arrogance" might be part of the problem, I don't know, but I'm unable to recall any specific interaction that you may be referring to.

Claiming that since 2016 "we ignore" is factually incorrect because if we were ignoring anyone then I guess 2.0 wouldn't have happened, and 2.1 wouldn't have happened and 2.2 wouldn't be happening. The changes we make are because we listen but you feel "ignored" because we aren't implementing the specific things that you want to see. We have a lot of feedback and ideas to take on board and clearly we can't do everything.

This is obviously just a single example, but as has already been proven it would appear that this isn't a priority for everyone. Indeed it isn't a particular priority for us, either, hence we're not currently planning to provide that functionality at this time though that could change in the future.

It's not like you cannot delete users. That can happen. The user just needs to contact you to request it first. By its very definition, being a forum admin requires a certain amount of administration so having to click "Delete" and optionally rename a user (a feature we added since we started ignoring people in 2016 btw) doesn't seem like a significant issue to me.

On the contrary, if a user wishes to delete their account and remove themselves from your community you may wish to have the opportunity to find out why that might be. Have they been harassed, or otherwise been upset? Is your forum no longer interesting to them? What might you be able to change to get them to stay? Would they prefer you to set the account to "Disabled" in the first instance so that they could return in the future?

I think trying to nurture that relationship with your users is important and may well make them change their mind, rather than just letting them disappear without a word.
Yes, agree with all that, plus there's the obvious fact that allowing users to delete all their content en masse can potentially negatively affect many other users who participated in that content, and the other users who might find the content helpful. Considering the other alternatives that users can already take advantage of, I'm of the opinion that most users who would choose that kind of "nuclear option" are probably pissed off and wanting to exact some kind of revenge. :)

Alpha1

Administrator
I don't think it makes sense to consider All or Nothing only. I would very much like my members to be able to delete their own account if they meet certain conditions. For example new members without any content, no warnings, no duplicate accounts, no account upgrades, no blacklists. For these members I think its fine if they decide the site is not for them or they only registered to read something only registered members could read. A cool-off period would be useful for this.

sbjsbj

Fan
I like the addition of profile banners (although very low in my priority list). But this is again nothing new. Wait, I think I talked about this before on March 19:

1591118680105.png

1591118696203.png
1591118713645.png
1591118808456.png

And see:

+ https://xenforo.com/community/resources/th-nodes-for-grid-custom-styling-and-custom-icons.5837/

Now, again, I am not criticizing the approach of implementing popular addons, but it leaves us underwhelmed yet again. Why? Because if profile covers are a good thing, why stop at profiles? The forum list and threads are visited 1000x times more than profile pages. So why not thread covers? Category covers? Node covers? Why stop at profiles?

I really don't understand. There are 5 addons in the scene and I would say 3 of them offer more than what we will see in 2.2. Why? It feels like you don't care about us at all and just throw the bare minimum while hoping nobody will notice it.

So, I am not criticizing that you target popular addons. I think it is good to have them in the core. My problem is HOW you adapt that into the core, which is always just the minimum concept and not fleshed out properly.

But, too early to judge. I will patiently wait for the other HYS. I accept this as a foretaste of what is to come. At the end of the day, I am hyped to see new stuff and I am praying to the God to be blown away and eating my words.

Last edited:

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer
I'm of the opinion that most users who would choose that kind of "nuclear option" are probably pissed off and wanting to exact some kind of revenge. :)
There are two main cases that I see. They have either waded knee-deep into controversy or they're mad at someone, there may be others. You can sometimes convince someone not to leave (or they'll change their minds on their own), but sometimes it's worth cutting a person loose.

Karll

Adherent
Yes, agree with all that, plus there's the obvious fact that allowing users to delete all their content en masse can potentially negatively affect many other users who participated in that content, and the other users who might find the content helpful.
Deleting an account through the XF admin CP does not delete the content. Similarly, a self-delete feature shouldn't allow the member to delete their content, only the account itself.

sanction9

Adherent
I like the addition of profile banners (although very low in my priority list). But this is again nothing new. Wait, I think I talked about this before on March 19:

View attachment 54471

View attachment 54472
View attachment 54473
View attachment 54474

And see:

+ https://xenforo.com/community/resources/th-nodes-for-grid-custom-styling-and-custom-icons.5837/

Now, again, I am not criticizing the approach of implementing popular addons, but it leaves us underwhelmed yet again. Why? Because if profile covers are a good thing, why stop at profiles? The forum list and threads are visited 1000x times more than profile pages. So why not thread covers? Category covers? Node covers? Why stop at profiles?

I really don't understand. There are 5 addons in the scene and I would say 3 of them offer more than what we will see in 2.2. Why? It feels like you don't care about us at all and just throw the bare minimum while hoping nobody will notice it.

So, I am not criticizing that you target popular addons. I think it is good to have them in the core. My problem is HOW you adapt that into the core, which is always just the minimum concept and not fleshed out properly.

But, too early to judge. I will patiently wait for the other HYS. I accept this as a foretaste of what is to come. At the end of the day, I am hyped to see new stuff and I am praying to the God to be blown away and eating my words.
Listing a bunch of addons with features that are thereafter implemented in the core doesn't really prove anything. I'm sure I could come up with a list of similar examples for IPB and other popular softwares, to make the same assertion. For someone who insists he's not criticizing, you sure seem awfully... eh, critical. Anyway, even if it were true, so what. Personally, I would like to see more popular addon features implemented in the core, because we all know that eventually the majority of them will be abandoned. But I do agree with you on one thing, as I mentioned above, I would like to see more of these core features expanded and more versatile. So much more could be done with custom fields, as just one example. And when will we at least get some basic pagination for the new threads widgets...? LoL, I'm gonna cut out here, before I start to get too critical. :D

sanction9

Adherent
Deleting an account through the XF admin CP does not delete the content. Similarly, a self-delete feature shouldn't allow the member to delete their content, only the account itself.
From my experience, most users who want this kind of option, also want to delete their content. I've had more than one member over the years who would have done it if I allowed it - which is why I don't allow thread deletions after a certain period. And if they don't want to do that, then why exactly do they need to delete their account, when they could simply change their username and email, etc.?

Karll

Adherent
From my experience, most users who want this kind of option, also want to delete their content. I've had more than one member over the years who would have done it if I allowed it - which is why I don't allow thread deletions after a certain period. And if they don't want to do that, then why exactly do they need to delete their account, when they could simply change their username and email, etc.?
I have had a few members like that - but of course I almost never delete their content. However, in recent times the majority of requests to delete accounts has come from members who just want me to delete their personal data - email address and so on - which is after all their right after GDPR.