XenForo 2.2 and beyond

XenForo 2.2 HYS series will start from...

• August

• September

• October

• November

• December

• January 2020

• February 2020

• March 2020

• April 2020

• May 2020

Results are only viewable after voting.

DigNap15

Adherent
There is no way I'd like to have my members be able to delete their own accounts.
I would not know what is happening.
Where's Bill, what happended to Dave?
I suppose I am lucky I only have 1000 members and I get 1 or 2 delete requests a month.
So I can handle it.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
I also wouldn't want users to have that level of account control.
  • Once done there's no real possibility of engaging with that member which is something you might want to do i.e. 'was it something I said? :unsure:'.
  • GDPR make it impossible to reinstate the account. It's a one way ticket and in my experience the majority usually want back in on their old account.
  • If they are a long standing member with a lot of posts you'll end up with broken threads.
Putting an account deletion request into moderation makes much more sense because it allows you to engage with the member and perhaps avoid some of the above.

sanction9

Enthusiast
I have had a few members like that - but of course I almost never delete their content. However, in recent times the majority of requests to delete accounts has come from members who just want me to delete their personal data - email address and so on - which is after all their right after GDPR.
Right, but my point stands, that basically there's no really good reason for it. I think most such people just aren't thinking straight, to be honest, otherwise they'd realize that they've had the power all along to hide/delete an identity.

DigNap15

Adherent
Here is an example of why Users being able to delete their own accounts is not a good idea
This just happened on my forum 5 minutes ago
Post 2 line 5

R0binHood

Habitué
Here is an example of why Users being able to delete their own accounts is not a good idea
Post 2 line 5
Admin tries to post link to private conversation about deleting accounts on forum for admins.

Perfectly illustrates why we need the ability to delete our own accounts, as it is now his duty to delete his.

Jk dude ;)

Faust

Enthusiast
Post 2 line 5

I do have this enabled on my forum, so users can delete their account if they don't like it. Also this is GDPR, if I'm not wrong.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
Also this is GDPR, if I'm not wrong.
GDPR requires you to delete if requested, all personally identifiable information (PII). Unfortunately every EU country was left to determine individually exactly what constitutes PII.

Broadly speaking it means you are required to anonymise the account login details and removing any content that could be used to identify the member. It does not in most cases mean you need to delete the bulk of the member's content.

Faust

Enthusiast
Broadly speaking it means you are required to anonymise the account login details and removing any content that could be used to identify the member. It does not in most cases mean you need to delete the bulk of the member's content

That's a bit of hassle, is someone has over 10k posts

DigNap15

Adherent
Admin tries to post link to private conversation about deleting accounts on forum for admins.

Perfectly illustrates why we need the ability to delete our own accounts, as it is now his duty to delete his.
Jk dude ;)
I dont undertand your post.
I did post a link, just to illustrate my point.
What is my duty?

R0binHood

Habitué
I'm sorry, it was a joke because you linked to a conversation thread which we don't have the permissions to read. Don't worry about it, let's get back to 2.2

Hopefully it's time for another HYS today :cool:

Faust

Enthusiast
It shouldn't be. If your terms of use state that your forum takes ownership of posted content you simply need to ask the member to identify the PII they want removing.
I haven't edited my terms, but I guess that's mentioned already by xenforo default , isn't it?

BGObsession

Enthusiast
Yes, agree with all that, plus there's the obvious fact that allowing users to delete all their content en masse can potentially negatively affect many other users who participated in that content, and the other users who might find the content helpful. Considering the other alternatives that users can already take advantage of, I'm of the opinion that most users who would choose that kind of "nuclear option" are probably pissed off and wanting to exact some kind of revenge. :)
Just a funny aside... back when I was on vBulletin, I had a member who was known to have a quick 'hair trigger' when it came to life in general who got upset with another member and demanded we delete his account. I tried to engage him, for the very reason above, and also because he'd been a member of our site for over a decade. When I wouldn't immediately delete his account without a conversation, he began individually deleting every post he'd ever made (and he had more than 10,000 of them over the years).

I finally had to do a 'mercy killing' just because I felt sorry for him.

And of course, after several year's absence, he wanted back in which we graciously made happen for him. A lot of crazy unanticipated things you witness when running an internet forum :)

Alfa1

Administrator
A few nice micro-features there. I see some potential in it as I can base custom features on it.
Its nice to see that Jeremy P has indeed joined the development team.

Replicant

Neophyte
The SEO improvements I see could be beneficial. The Search node forums, mmhhh, I don't see a lot of use cases, maybe to show content in a customized view per user, although not a lot of users bother to "personalize" their content display, besides picking a theme, a language, maybe a grid or list view and switching the sidebar.

Let's see what more do you have.

sbjsbj

Fan
Jeremy P is a really good choice. I am glad that they hired him.

The search forums looks promising if they polish it. That can be used for content delivery in the right situation. Actually I have a custom addon which does sth like that but ofc much more than what is right now.

sanction9

Enthusiast
The SEO improvements I see could be beneficial. The Search node forums, mmhhh, I don't see a lot of use cases, maybe to show content in a customized view per user, although not a lot of users bother to "personalize" their content display, besides picking a theme, a language, maybe a grid or list view and switching the sidebar.

Let's see what more do you have.
Probably the more nodes/subnodes you have, the more beneficial something like this will be. I suspect most members spend most of their time checking parent nodes and largely ignore subnodes, so being able to display all the threads you want in a single node helps ensure that more of those subnode threads will be seen by more people. I already use Xon's aggregation addon, which is good, but in this case it looks like XF's implementation will be more versatile, so personally I really like this new feature.

DigNap15

Adherent
I do have this enabled on my forum, so users can delete their account if they don't like it. Also this is GDPR, if I'm not wrong.
You are wrong..
You only have to delete their personal details if they request to leave.