XenForo 2.2 and beyond

XenForo 2.2 HYS series will start from...

• August

• September

• October

• November

• December

• January 2020

• February 2020

• March 2020

• April 2020

• May 2020

Results are only viewable after voting.

Russ

Administrator
I am not impressed so far. All the so called new stuff that they have added, Ipb has had it for ages. Nothing to get exited about.
Wow ips_doug, this surprises me. :ROFLMAO:

As for me, I'm excited about the first set of changes! It's good to see the HYS's start for the 2.2 series and these are some nice little welcomed additions. The reception from actual XF users seems to be very positive as well so that's good. Normally when HYS's rollout there are always features that I'll never use but luckily I can benefit from every single one of these.

TLChris

Administrator
I'm excited to see these updates - nothing too dramatic, but will be great to again, not have to use an addon for certain features like user change name.

Doug Heffernan

Enthusiast
With a username like that, you would say that, wouldn't you? ;)
Wow ips_doug, this surprises me. :ROFLMAO:
My nick name has no affiliate or anything to do with Ips/Ipb in any way shape or form.

As for me, I'm excited about the first set of changes! It's good to see the HYS's start for the 2.2 series and these are some nice little welcomed additions. The reception from actual XF users seems to be very positive as well so that's good. Normally when HYS's rollout there are always features that I'll never use but luckily I can benefit from every single one of these.
That being said, tell me what I said is not true. Of all the features that xf has added, there is nothing to be exited about. Ipb has had them for ages. Hell, even some of the free forums have had some of them. xF is way behind in adding new stuff. I just do not understand what the hype is all about. It is not like they have added some new stuff that no other forum has. In that case I would understand the exitement.

TLChris

Administrator
My nick name has no affiliate or anything to do with Ips/Ipb in any way shape or form.

That being said, tell me what I said is not true. Of all the features that xf has added, there is nothing to be exited about. Ipb has had them for ages. Hell, even some of the free forums have had some of them. xF is way behind in adding new stuff. I just do not understand what the hype is all about. It is not like they have added some new stuff that no other forum has. In that case I would understand the exitement.
It's new for this product line, and it's great for those communities that run XenForo. In other verticals, cars or cell phones for examples there are some brands that lag behind other competitors to implement their versions of a feature. You've stated your case, we get it, you're not happy with XenForo's current featureset.

Russ

Administrator

You've been very vocal about your displeasure with XF, I'm not even sure why you follow it at this point. It'd be like me going to a restaurant I don't like just to complain to the guests who do enjoy it, it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Alfa1

Administrator
So far its nothing earth-shattering. Just micro-features. I'm happy with batch update account state and profile banners. Most of the other features are already available in rock solid addons.

For me the most important thing about this HYS is that 2.2 is getting close.
I hope that several of the upcoming HYS will blow me away. XF2.1 was received in a lukewarm manner by various XenForo customers, especially here on TAZ. So I hope that the XF staff has taken that into account.

Doug Heffernan

Enthusiast
You've been very vocal about your displeasure with XF, I'm not even sure why you follow it at this point. It'd be like me going to a restaurant I don't like just to complain to the guests who do enjoy it, it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
It makes perfect sense. And I do have a xf license btw, it expired a couple of month ago, but that still makes me a customer none the less, just like you.

Anyways, I read the hys about the new features and I gave my opinion on the subject. which I am entitled to, right?

Russ

Administrator
It makes perfect sense. And I do have a xf license btw, it expired a couple of month ago, but that still makes me a customer none the less, just like you.

Anyways, I read the hys about the new features and I gave my opinion on the subject. which I am entitled to, right?
It's more the way you put it. I think 4.5 brings in global font/padding settings while XF has had that in for so long. I'm just curious but did you criticize IPS for announcing those features saying XF has already had it in their software? I hope with every announcement IPS makes, if it's included in another software you announce your disappointment as they've added a feature that's already in another software.

Frode789

Participant
Nothing earth-shattering in the update, but some nice additions. Good to see HYS series back on track, will be interesting to follow over the coming updates.

I do also hope that XF MG and XF RM will receive some love in terms of new features. =)

Doug Heffernan

Enthusiast
It's more the way you put it. I think 4.5 brings in global font/padding settings while XF has had that in for so long. I'm just curious but did you criticize IPS for announcing those features saying XF has already had it in their software? I hope with every announcement IPS makes, if it's included in another software you announce your disappointment as they've added a feature that's already in another software.
Ok, I will bite. Are you really comparing xf to Ipb? Have you seen the features in 4.5.? Now, they are something to really get exited about. They have revolutionised the forum world with 4.5.

And not to mention the way that Ipb 's staff is being transparent and how they are keeping their customers in the loop with the roadmap for the new version.

On the other hand, you have xf who had maintained radio silence for quite a long time, and only now broke it by announcing the new stuff that they have added in 2.2. Stuff that should have been added quite a long time ago.

Anyways, let us see what other new options/features they have added in 2.2. They, xf, really need to step up their game, as a lot of people are getting dissapointed with the current affairs.

Chris D

XenForo Developer
XF 2.2 HYS threads: "Breaking radio silence".
IPS 4.5 feature showcases: "Being transparent and providing a roadmap".

You'll have to explain to me what the difference is because it's almost like you're implying that the IPS process of announcing new features over the course of a number of weeks / months is somehow significantly different and superior to the XF process of announcing new features over the course of a number of weeks / months.

I really didn't realise this was such a competition. But if it is, I really hope people haven't in the past been "disappointed with the current affairs" on the occasions where XF has added features that IPS don't have. When that happens these disappointed people should be happy that consumers have all the more choice and feature-set to base their buying decision on.

Last edited:

Russ

Administrator
XF 2.2 HYS threads: Breaking radio silence.
IPS 4.5 feature showcases: Being transparent and providing a roadmap.

You'll have to explain to me what the difference is because it's almost like you're implying that the IPS process of announcing new features over the course of a number of weeks / months is somehow significantly different and superior to the XF process of announcing new features over the course of a number of weeks / months.

I really didn't realise this was such a competition. But if it is, I really hope people haven't in the past been "disappointed with the current affairs" on the occasions where XF has added features that IPS don't have. When that happens these disappointed people should be happy that consumers have all the more choice and feature-set to base their buying decision on.
Critic: XF needs to add new features!
XF: Announces the very first of many new features
Critic: XF should have added those features already!

Chris D I'll just say, I was so excited loading the forum list this morning to see that new thread popup. I'm looking forward to 2.2 and the future of XenForo :).

Doug Heffernan

Enthusiast
XF 2.2 HYS threads: Breaking radio silence.
IPS 4.5 feature showcases: Being transparent and providing a roadmap.

Talking about features, Ipb is way ahead of xf, everyone knows that. Ipb is much more than a forum. Whereas xf is stuck in the past. It is just the way it is.

But you started to listen to your customers finally, and added some new features. That is a step in the right direction. I really hope that you will keep that up and not leave it at that.

Anyways, I have a license for both, Ipb and xF and I am not playing favorites or trashing or anything like that. I am just saying it how I see it.

Critic: XF needs to add new features!
XF: Announces the very first of many new features
Critic: XF should have added those features already!
Customer: I want to buy this car, but it just has the basics whereas other cars have lots of cool stuff.
Car saleman: Wait till the new version. It will blow your mind away. It will have a cd player and the car windows will roll up and down automatically. Cool huh?
Customer: Oh yeah. That is great. It is the best car ever. I can hardly wait till it is released.

For crying out loud.

Chris D

XenForo Developer
But you started to listen to your customers finally
I'm glad we have finally started to listen to our customers. That is something new we've never tried before. I would highly recommend it 🙃

I am not playing favorites or trashing or anything like that.
Oh, no, yeah, sure I see that. Everyone sees that.

Have a great day, IPS Doug. I hope you find something in the next few weeks or so that is more to your liking.

Replicant

Neophyte
I really didn't realise this was such a competition.
With all due to respect, it is. The same moment you work on the same target market of another company, in this case content & community management & delivery, people customers inevitably will compare what all of you are offering. That's how business are done.

Now the ball is in your side, it's up to you to hit a really good kick to, at least, even the score.

DigNap15

Adherent
Much as I love Xenforo, one of their main problems is that there are so many add-ons. Any new feature they add means that an add-on is no longer required.
This means that their developers lose some income.
It also means that they are not under so much pressure to add new features, as there is probably an add-on available that does it.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
Comparisons are important but for me it comes down to what I think will work best for my members and that varies depending on the nature of the community which is why I currently work with five different platforms.