XenForo 2.2 and beyond

XenForo 2.2 HYS series will start from...

• August

• September

• October

• November

• December

• January 2020

• February 2020

• March 2020

• April 2020

• May 2020

Results are only viewable after voting.

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer
I was involved with software developments years ago.
The more features you add, the chance there is of bugs.
(Have you ever looked at the pages and pages of options there are for XF? Each one has the potential for discussion or a bug)
There are a lot of factors involved, but generally, yes. The more complex a piece of software is, the more bugs it will have by it's very nature. There are ways to offset bugs to some extent, modern practices, modern libraries / frameworks, automated tests, dogfooding, and so on.

These methods can be extraordinarily effective, although as complexity increases by a certain margin, even these can start to have difficulties in catching every bug.

Dogfooding would be where someone uses their own software in production.

Last edited:

Kevin

Oooh, something shiny!
I can't wait until 2.2 is released so I can ask about 2.3.
:morganna:Trivial! A real fanboy would insist on a roadmap for 3.0 :cool:
Somebody already beat you guys to it....

palhanow

Enthusiast
Oh man, Chris, please, just give us a small insight of whats coming on.

The time is now. I'm having trouble with my finances with the chinese virus situation and i need to make some future decisions to where patch i will choose next.

I love XenForo as you can see in my posts around TAZ, but please, give us some clues. The next semester is gonna be hard for me and i need to choose my plans very carefully.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
Oh man, Chris, please, just give us a small insight of whats coming on.

The time is now. I'm having trouble with my finances with the chinese virus situation and i need to make some future decisions to where patch i will choose next.

I love XenForo as you can see in my posts around TAZ, but please, give us some clues. The next semester is gonna be hard for me and i need to choose my plans very carefully.
I think in these kind of situations you need to consider your members. Are they happy with what you currently have to offer them or do they complain about missing functionality? Xenforo is a solid, cost effective platform with a proven history.

It's certainly the case that there is now some very strong competition but change is not something to undertake lightly so you really need to assess the state and growth (or decline) of your membership before you start looking to make radical changes.

You need to take a decision on the information that's available to you and that could be none at all so it may well be best to simply maintain the status quo until that information becomes available.

palhanow

Enthusiast
I think in these kind of situations you need to consider your members. Are they happy with what you currently have to offer them or do they complain about missing functionality? Xenforo is a solid, cost effective platform with a proven history.

It's certainly the case that there is now some very strong competition but change is not something to undertake lightly so you really need to assess the state and growth (or decline) of your membership before you start looking to make radical changes.

You need to take a decision on the information that's available to you and that could be none at all so it may well be best to simply maintain the status quo until that information becomes available.

That's true my friend.

Considering your argument, yes, my user based is solid with the actual experience, but i need to considering the expansion of my website and my offered services, to catch more audience and more market share, offering more kind of services that actually, XenForo can't offer in the moment, unless i invest hard on third-party add-ons with all the problems that come together with this kind of option.

DigNap15

Adherent
I wonder what Chris means by
Launch of the new front end sales /support site?

sbjsbj

Fan
I wonder what Chris means by
Launch of the new front end sales /support site?
After 10 years they finally updated their homepage. So also their ticket system as it seems.

R0binHood

Habitué
I really could care less.
*couldn't

I can't believe we're not far off hitting a year after the earliest prediction date for this thread.

We're going to need to add new months again soon :facepalm:

I'm leaving my September vote in place. I may have chosen the wrong year, but I have a really good feeling about September as the right month. 😄

Crazy-Achmet

Neophyte
If they are mostly hitting the targets, then why don't they communicate those targets? I really don't get it! If course i would love to know about features but a small "If everything goes well, you can expect the first HYS in June 2020". If there is a light at the end of the tunnel, that's the least i would expect. And if something unexpected would happen, they could tell us as well.

But instead of an open communication it's just the same "soon™" as always. I'm so bothered of it that i resign instead of beeing dissapointed.

Doug Heffernan

Enthusiast
If they are mostly hitting the targets, then why don't they communicate those targets? I really don't get it! If course i would love to know about features but a small "If everything goes well, you can expect the first HYS in June 2020". If there is a light at the end of the tunnel, that's the least i would expect. And if something unexpected would happen, they could tell us as well.

But instead of an open communication it's just the same "soon™" as always. I'm so bothered of it that i resign instead of beeing dissapointed.
This lack of communication and transparency on the part of xf staff has put me off from buying a license. Not to mention the arrogance of some of their staff members.

palhanow

Enthusiast
Just read the new announcement.

Until now, just small and basic additions. The Profile Cover option is great (i actually use a addon from ThemeHouse for this) and the possibility for changing the nicknames without an addon (another addon that i use for this too).

The Security Improvements i don't see much use for me, but that's ok.

Another point of Profile Cover, this should be applied to threads too. Is very hard to set a cover image for a thread (without using add-ons for this) and for SEO purposes is very, very important. And the add-ons available for this don't do a great job, since they all third party options.

Another thing they should add is a customizable profile link, like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram (@yournickname). yourforumname.com/yourprofile - this is like a minimum requirement for today's internet use.

Doug Heffernan

Enthusiast
I am not impressed so far. All the so called new stuff that they have added, Ipb has had it for ages. Nothing to get exited about.