Writing for Google bots Vs. Writing for Users

bomb

Aspirant
Sometimes we get carried away with ranking, that we forget our content should be read by human beings, not google bots only!!
How do you strike a balance between these two?
What is your keyword research strategy, and how do you optimize your content for On-page SEO?

DigNap15

Adherent
I dislike the way everything has to be done to appeal to Google
I am starting to get a few articles on my forum/website
But I am not going to get my contributors to stuff them full of keywords.

Google search sucks
In my country if you search for "New Zealand Political Forums"
On page 2 or 3 of the results are no longer active as forums

I am defunding Google an dhope that many others do as well
When they put competitors ads at the top of the search results you can tell they are Evil

bomb

Aspirant
I am starting to get a few articles on my forum/website
But I am not going to get my contributors to stuff them full of keywords.

Google search sucks
In my country if you search for "New Zealand Political Forums"
On page 2 or 3 of the results are no longer active as forums

I am defunding Google an dhope that many others do as well
When they put competitors ads at the top of the search results you can tell they are Evil
That is true. But if you look at it, it is a give or take.
You give them what they want (keyword stuffing), they put you on top, you get more pageviews = earn more $$....its like a win - win!

About ranking forums, it is a Catch22 situation. Simply because forums are personal opinion. Am hoping Xenforo's Article formate posts and adding Updating Schema.org will do the trick.

But then again, even Reddit/Facebook doesn't rank on top for many search terms. Which is a good thing. If they did, our small forums would be on page 1Million :)

Joeychgo

TAZ Administrator
it is what it is. its the way things work. If you want to be successful then you have to consider that at least a little. Google is Google because they did things to appeal to people.

DigNap15

Adherent
That is true. But if you look at it, it is a give or take.
You give them what they want (keyword stuffing), they put you on top, you get more pageviews = earn more $$....its like a win - win!

About ranking forums, it is a Catch22 situation. Simply because forums are personal opinion. Am hoping Xenforo's Article formate posts and adding Updating Schema.org will do the trick.

But then again, even Reddit/Facebook doesn't rank on top for many search terms. Which is a good thing. If they did, our small forums would be on page 1Million :)
Yes i think XF's new Articles format will encourage longer content, which Google likes.
You are also right regarding Reddit - on the test searches it does it never apears - very lucky
And also Quora which is similar

Klaatu

Fan
Does Google not like forums because of SEO technical issues like formatting or because they consider forum content low quality? I've been doing some research because I plan to open a blog next month and the latter seems to be the reason most "experts" think Google ignores forums. I'm no SEO expert myself, so I don't know if that's the case.

Joel R

Fan
I don't pretend to be an SEO expert at all, but Google has always liked E-A-T content (expert, authoritative, and trustworthy).

I don't think Google penalized forums for the sake of being forums. I believe Google penalizes certain forums because their content is low-value social content.

If you offer definitive answers and resources in your forum, you'll find that Google will reward you with a steady flow of traffic.

DigNap15

Adherent
Does Google not like forums because of SEO technical issues like formatting or because they consider forum content low quality? I've been doing some research because I plan to open a blog next month and the latter seems to be the reason most "experts" think Google ignores forums. I'm no SEO expert myself, so I don't know if that's the case.
I'm very interested in his subject due to the low rankign that Google gave me.
Its been getting higher lately.
I'm not sure why.
I must admit that my forum has a lot of low value comments, just general chit chat or banter.

Another reason for poor search results is that "forum" has two meanings
Our meaning as in bulletin board and comminuty
And a physical meeting in building of experts on a certain subject

So If I search for say New Zealand political forums - half of the results are not forums in our defintion

bomb

Aspirant
I'm very interested in his subject due to the low rankign that Google gave me.
Its been getting higher lately.
I'm not sure why.
I must admit that my forum has a lot of low value comments, just general chit chat or banter.

Another reason for poor search results is that "forum" has two meanings
Our meaning as in bulletin board and comminuty
And a physical meeting in building of experts on a certain subject

So If I search for say New Zealand political forums - half of the results are not forums in our defintion
True. Google has special treatment for User Generated Content (UGC). But if your forum gains authority, like TAZ, FP and the mighty WarriorF, then google starts taking you seriously. Also if your niche is having little information online, Google will have no choice but to rank your board's content.

Yes, i have even noticed that recently, I registered acquired a domain called forum nova, only to realize that there is a place called Forum Nova!! Meaning, they don't consider the first word as a bulletin board. Instead, it is just a noun :) Funny!

I think having an article section in a board is very important. That way, you can be writing an article about something that has been discussed in a proper long-form type.

Joeychgo

TAZ Administrator
I don't think Google penalized forums for the sake of being forums. I believe Google penalizes certain forums because their content is low-value social content.
Thats true with any site - not just forums

DigNap15

Adherent
True. Google has special treatment for User Generated Content (UGC). But if your forum gains authority, like TAZ, FP and the mighty WarriorF, then google starts taking you seriously. Also if your niche is having little information online, Google will have no choice but to rank your board's content.

Yes, i have even noticed that recently, I registered acquired a domain called forum nova, only to realize that there is a place called Forum Nova!! Meaning, they don't consider the first word as a bulletin board. Instead, it is just a noun :) Funny!

I think having an article section in a board is very important. That way, you can be writing an article about something that has been discussed in a proper long-form type.
I have a website with a XF attatched to it.
On the website my members are writing articles which are then linked to the forum for members to comment on
Since I started this about 6 weeks ago my Google ranking has risen.
I am now regularly on page one

SaN-DeeP

TechArena.IN
Always write for users first, then edit to make bots happy by adding various keyword phrase variations.
There is no strategy for this..
Its not age old 10-12 years ago time i say..

Its all BRANDING.. Google is investing funds on youtube INDIA.. just cause its a big market..

I can show you 100s of videos viewed over a billion times, but all junk..

Branding = Next Google Phase !!!

What i Just Say = Content Still the King, and will ALWAYS REMAIN KING.

Ingenious

Fan
I have a website with a XF attatched to it.
On the website my members are writing articles which are then linked to the forum for members to comment on
Since I started this about 6 weeks ago my Google ranking has risen.
I am now regularly on page one
Same for me, has been for two decades, my "static" content (articles, guides etc) on a Wordpress site is what gets ranked well and drives traffic to my forum. I have long since abandoned any hope of forum content ranking well unless, as said above, it's unique to the search query and then it will come up tops.

It's a shame - many of my forum posts contain info from industry leaders in my niche and direct answers to specific questions. But I can understand also, with all the other rubbish in most forum threads (noise, banter, continual full quoting of the post above) that Google has a hard time seeing this.