wpForo 2.0 is released!

ItsMe2

Aspirant
wpForo it is for me. They have added some amazing features and the integration possibilities are probably unlimited which opens many more doors to add new features to a site. It’s time for me to start building. This popped up at a perfect time. Thanks for sharing.

mysiteguy

Migration Expert

wpForo is our partner, and we do lots of migration work to wpForo. Our devs work together to build new migration scripts and get the latest changes from wpForo, it's very important in forum migration services. Currently, the most popular migrations are to:
  1. Any forum to bbPress
  2. Any Forum to wpForo
  3. Any Form to XenForo
  4. Any Forum to phpBB

Today, WordPress has 55,000 plugins, so the forum plugins are out of the most used plugins. Only bbPress is included because it's developed by WordPress team. I don't think this article can be related to the forum world of the WordPress. It's better to read this one:
Top 9 WordPress Forum Plugins for Discussing Hot Topics / Conclusion

If a person introduced themself as their own spouse, that would not be a partnership. Much like what you've done here.

wpForo is operated by "gVectors". Same lower/uppercase style along with the similar names. Both sites sharing the same broken English.
At one point they shared the same web server. See here:
That's gconverter on the gvector site, going back a decade.
Here's gvectors listed as the company behind gconverter, at the bottom of the gconverter page back in 2015:

gvectors.com, wpforo.com and gconverters.com are registered with the same domain registrar, fastdomain.com

This promotion thread is sock puppetry.

ItsMe2

Aspirant
Still not better than forum scripts.
While some forum scripts are awesome they lack the ability to fully customize them on the design, content delivery, and features end of things without needing extensive customization. I have not tested yet but I would imagine that with wpForo being built on WordPress you can customize almost anything you want using plugins which the are many. I could be wrong but I feel forum scripts are stuck in the late 90’s, early 2000’s when it comes to design and features. They all look the same and function the same. Nothing has changed. you have to adapt to what users want and crave in order to remain relevant and forum scripts have not done that which is why there are so many inactive forums across the web.

mysiteguy

Migration Expert
I could be wrong but I feel forum scripts are stuck in the late 90’s, early 2000’s when it comes to design and features. They all look the same and function the same.

Forums didn't even have inline image attachments back then, you posted either HTML img tags or IMG bbcodes, depending on the software. Attachments trickled in over the years but it was not common early on.
No galleries/albums.
Awful editors compared to now.
Designs were completely table based rather than div based. They were either fixed width or could go full width, but they did not have adaptive layouts that moved or hide items depending on screen size and/or device.
They didn't have progressive web apps.
Post draft saving in the background, so if you left the page and came back, you don't lose what you've typed so far.
They didn't have integrated logins to social networks (and yes, social networks existed then).
They didn't have APIs using standards such as REST.
They didn't have user tagging ( example: mysiteguy ).
When attachments became available, they didn't have drag and drop.
Sticky threads were added along the way in various forum software.
Emoticons (other than graphic type smilies) were not supported.

I can list dozens more features added over the years, like user ignores - but the above should be sufficient.

gConverter

Enthusiast
That's gconverter on the gvector site, going back a decade.
Sure, that's why we're partners. We were one big team ten years ago. The team divided into three separate companies. gVectors, gConverter and gSolutions. Now, gVectors is a great WordPress plugin development company which develops lots of professional plugins. gConverter is a CMS and Forum migration service with separate staff and office. But we still keep contacts and work together when we get migration project to wpForo.

Forums didn't even have inline image attachments back then, you posted either HTML img tags or IMG bbcodes, depending on the software. Attachments trickled in over the years but it was not common early on.
No galleries/albums.
Designs were completely table based rather than div based. They were either fixed width or could go full width, but they did not have adaptive layouts that moved or hide items depending on screen size and/or device.
Post draft saving in the background, so if you left the page and came back, you don't lose what you've typed so far.
They didn't have integrated logins to social networks (and yes, social networks existed then).
They didn't have user tagging ( example: @mysiteguy ).
As far as I see you like stand-alone forum solutions, how about plugins for WordPress and Joomla, don't you think in most cases people need to build Website+Forum not only a Forum. So this is way WordPress + wpForo + 55,000 WordPress plugins become very interesting choice.

Last edited:

gConverter

Enthusiast
While some forum scripts are awesome they lack the ability to fully customize them on the design, content delivery, and features end of things without needing extensive customization. I have not tested yet but I would imagine that with wpForo being built on WordPress you can customize almost anything you want using plugins which the are many. I could be wrong but I feel forum scripts are stuck in the late 90’s, early 2000’s when it comes to design and features. They all look the same and function the same. Nothing has changed. you have to adapt to what users want and crave in order to remain relevant and forum scripts have not done that which is why there are so many inactive forums across the web.

I agree with all what you said. The main issues of standalone forum softwares are the Theme Customization and Hard Management (very hard to configure and maintain). WordPress plugins are 100% open for any kind of customization, and they can be used just after installation without doing anything. bbPress and wpForo are the most popular plugins and can be used without any customization. Just install, and find the forum in a page, fully functional and fully integrated with your website design. Dashboard settings are very easy to manage, you don't need to learn it for days and weeks to become a good forum administrator.

mysiteguy

Migration Expert
As far as I see you like stand-alone forum solutions, how about plugins for WordPress and Joomla, don't you think in most cases people need to build website+Forum not only a Forum. So this is way WordPress + wpForo + 55,000 WordPress plugins become very interesting choice.

I like integrated and stand-alone forums. If someone wants a superior forum experience, IPS/XF are so much better then WP forum plugins, and I will usually recommend using either the IPS suite, a WordPress bridge, or Xenforo content add-ons. Especially if they highly value security.

If they want free, and theme integration, then it's WordPress + a forum plugin I'd recommend, with the caveat, that they will need to be very diligent about security.

Theme management is not the huge problem with stand-alone forums you paint it to be. All the various theme settings are available in both IPS and Xenforo, and there are also many nice 3rd party themes.

ItsMe2

Aspirant
No galleries/albums.
They didn't have user tagging ( example: mysiteguy ).

I can list dozens more features added over the years, like user ignores - but the above should be sufficient.
You made some points. However, the features and customizability is very limited within a forum when comparing the technologies available today. One point you did not touch is that every forum looks the same unless you implement extensive development into design. The delivery of any forum content is outdated. Just look around you and see how the popular user created content sites are delivering the content. They become popular for a reason. I myself enjoy the way forums breakup the content but when I’m building a website to engage others, it’s not about what I want, it’s about what attracts and engages the user.

With that said, even if you did build a complete custom design for a forum you are stuck with it and whatever version you built it for without heavy overhaul when updates are released.

I have several XenForo licenses. However, I have been on the fence about implementing it into my websites simply because it cannot be used for much other than a discussion board. How about visual site builders for forum software? They don’t exist. There are just far to many things missing from the administrative and content delivery side to use standalone forum software.

Can you integrate a CRM with forum software. No.

Can you integrate a sales funnel system with forum software. No

Can you integrate classes, and video courses in forum software. No

How about internal SEO management and tracking from the admin site. Extremely limited

See there are many things you left out. Most everything you mentioned is very basic elements.

We agree to disagree that forum software is very dated and behind in technology, flexibility, customization, and features.

Study Force

Enthusiast
Wordpress plugins come with a lot of bloat, and rarely will you come across one that is entirely free. By the time you finish setting up a Wordpress website with all the bells and whistles, you'll be down a grand easily. In addition, they update their software literally every week, leaving some plugins incompatible. This is why Xenforo is more popular; it costs less to start up and has all the features you could want at a fraction of the cost. And if you know what you're doing, you could convert SMF (free forum software) into practically anything you want.

ItsMe2

Aspirant
Wordpress plugins come with a lot of bloat, and rarely will you come across one that is entirely free. By the time you finish setting up a Wordpress website with all the cool features you want, you'll be down $1000 easily. This is why Xenforo is more popular; it costs less to start up and has all the features you could want at a fraction of the cost.
Correct, there are many WordPress themes and plugins that are bloated. However, there are many very good plugins that are developed with site speed in mind.

There is no doubt that Xenforo is nice. However, there is a trade off for that which is much less flexibility and integrations.

Study Force

Enthusiast
Finding those good themes and plugins isn't an easy task, especially with 55000 to choose from! Again, you'll end up spending an arm and a leg figuring things out

ItsMe2

Aspirant
Finding those good themes and plugins isn't an easy task, especially with 55000 to choose from! Again, you'll end up spending an arm and a leg figuring things out
You should not convenience yourself that I don't already have the themes, or theme builders and plugins I would need to tackle the job which many of them being purchased when a lifetime deal price was offered. No renewal fees to deal with when done that way. I am going strong with some of them being 13+ years in development and still thriving. You just have to be smart about your decisions and not jump at every new shiny tool.

Believe me. I can build any type of website I want, be it with WordPress, vBulliten, XenForo.

tomk

Adherent
Nice eye candy, but two things:

1. 2.0 is really really slow, even their community site is pretty slow and you would hope they optimize it to showcase speed.

2. By the time you add in all the paid add-ons to get functionality other paid scripts come with, you'd be better off buying XF or IPS suite.

You just have to be smart about your decisions and not jump at every new shiny tool.
Exactly which is why many do not jump to the shiny tool wpForo.
The total cost in time and money to convert to wpForo (which has unsupported conversion tool) you need to hire the folks at gConverter to fix all the f*ck ups. Much less expensive to buy out of the box forums which generally come with lots of bells and whistles plus (free) support.
I've done my research and found way too many issues which convinced me not to use wpForo.

gConverter

Enthusiast
Finding those good themes and plugins isn't an easy task, especially with 55000 to choose from!
Believe me, it's very easy. Just search for any keyword in WordPress plugin directory, you'll see the most popular, high rated and stable plugins on the first lines. You see that one plugin has hundreds of 5* reviews and dozens of thousands active usage. Yes, WordPress shows the current real number of usage for any plugin. For example, wpForo is installed in 30,000+ websites.

1. 2.0 is really really slow, even their community site is pretty slow and you would hope they optimize it to showcase speed.
Not at all. It is fast enough to grow your community. Even if WordPress+Forum Plugin is not faster than standalone forums, you can install a good cache or performance booster plugin and make things supper fast.

You should not only thing about the +/- milliseconds of your page loading speed. The web is growing and all should look modern and easy. wpForo forum layouts look very easy to use, and you get a lot more information on the first forum page. The important things have been changed in forums...

For example, people like to see lots of media, backgrounds and cover images. You can express more and engage more using a nice cover image for each forum category. It'll make some very small change in your page loading speed, but it'll attract more users to stay on the forum. wpForo has very attractive features not only for forum admins but more for users. The features are built to engage more members, which is the most important thing in building and growing your community. In other words, wpForo is a member oriented forum solution, and it does its job very well.

wpForo-QA-forum-sidebar.pngwpForo-Threaded-Forums-3.pngwpForo-v2-layout-1-forums.pngwpForo-v2-layout-2-forums.png

Live example: https://wpforo.com/community/

The total cost in time and money to convert to wpForo (which has unsupported conversion tool) you need to hire the folks at gConverte
Migration is free and the plugin is free. And both work without spending extra money. As far as you can see, there are only a few dozens of topics opened during the last 6 years in the migration support forums: https://wpforo.com/community/other-forums/
It means the free migration tool works fine.

Last edited:

mysiteguy

Migration Expert
You made some points. However, the features and customizability is very limited within a forum when comparing the technologies available today. One point you did not touch is that every forum looks the same unless you implement extensive development into design.

Likewise, every WordPress site is extremely limited unless you implement extensive development into it's design, add numerous plugins, etc. Even it's basic mailing system is garbage.

The WordPress theme situation is the same as IPS and XF - you go with stock and plain, implement your own or implement a third party theme.

The delivery of any forum content is outdated.

How does this make a case for WordPress plugin-based forums?

Just look around you and see how the popular user created content sites are delivering the content.

If you referring to social networks, that's not what makes them popular.

They become popular for a reason. I myself enjoy the way forums breakup the content but when I’m building a website to engage others, it’s not about what I want, it’s about what attracts and engages the user.

The layout of forums is not the root cause, and it's been discussed a great deal here.

With that said, even if you did build a complete custom design for a forum you are stuck with it and whatever version you built it for without heavy overhaul when updates are released.
Let's flip that around:
When you build a complete custom design in WordPress (third party theme or not), you are stuck with it, better hope it's maintainted and that it's updates don't conflict with your changes.

BTW, XF and IPS easily support multiple active and inactive themes, at once, out of the box.

I have several XenForo licenses. However, I have been on the fence about implementing it into my websites simply because it cannot be used for much other than a discussion board.
Both IPS and Xenforo can be used for much more than discussion boards, though their primary function is the forum.

How about visual site builders for forum software? They don’t exist. There are just far to many things missing from the administrative and content delivery side to use standalone forum software.

Invision has both a drag and drop designer, plus Designer Mode for more advanced users.
Xenforo, there are third party theme designers, though admittedly they aren't great (yet).

Can you integrate a CRM with forum software. No.
This is not anywhere near a typical need for a content based site. Online stores, B2B and the like can use a CRM but the majority of forum/cms/blog/content centric sites don't even remotely need a CRM.

Can you integrate a sales funnel system with forum software. No
Same as above, the majority of forum/cms/blog/content sites don't even remotely need a sales funnel system. Outlyer cases don't make the norm.

Besides, I've previously said I recommend to clients plugin based forums in the instances where there's a use case for it. I also let them know that long term WordPress management typically costs more.

Can you integrate classes, and video courses in forum software. No
There are addons for this.

How about internal SEO management and tracking from the admin site. Extremely limited
Another non sequitur. SEO management and tracking are also extremely limited in WordPress, unless you install an SEO addon. XF and IPS, you can install SEO plugins as well. And I've yet to see a single XF or Invision site with as much asset bloat as the typical WordPress site.

See there are many things you left out. Most everything you mentioned is very basic elements.
See, there are many things about stand-alone forum software that you've not done due diligence.

We agree to disagree that forum software is very dated and behind in technology, flexibility, customization, and features.
The technology behind the scenes in WordPress. Its architecture is similar to what you'd expect to see 10 years ago. Both XF and IPS use more modern frameworking.

Last edited:

gConverter

Enthusiast
Another non sequitur. SEO management and tracking are also extremely limited in WordPress, unless you install an SEO addon.
WordPress has the best built-in SEO, even more, the Yoast SEO plugin makes it superb! More than 30% of the web is based on WordPress and the main reason is the SEO. wpForo as WordPress forum plugin has all SEO features, in addition it adds forum specific SEO features like QAPage schema for wpForo Q&A Forum layout.

wpForo-QA-Forum-Layout-QAPage-Schema.png

wpForo-QA-scheme-google-result.png

This is the top SEO features which wpForo supports very well. So the SEO is another strong side of WordPress forum plugins, especially of wpForo.
The doc: https://wpforo.com/docs/wpforo-v2/settings/wpforo-seo/

gConverter

Enthusiast
>> The delivery of any forum content is outdated.

How does this make a case for WordPress plugin-based forums?

Here are some content delivery differences between wpForo and classic standalone forum softwares:

1. The threaded and Q&A forum layouts of wpForo allows listing all threads on the home page, letting users click the [load more] button and see threads without any limits, like the newsfeed of social network plugins. This is a built-in feature without any extension and a new theme installation:

wpForo-v2-Threaded-Layout-Described-2.pngwpForo-v2-Threaded-Layout-Load-More-Threads.png

2. You can list X number of recent posts under each forum, so the user can quickly read one level deeper information. This is available for the Extended and Q&A layouts:

wpForo-v2-DUO-L1.png wpForo-v2-Forums-Described-2-1024x772.png

3. For example, this thread has become very large, and I would like to see a quick tree of all replies and understand who has answered to whom. So wpForo adds Topic Overview on the top of all topics, you can click and see all replies in the same place and understand the replying relationship:

2022-08-07_19-30-36.png wpForo-v2-topic-overview-2.png

4. Threaded / nested list of replies in the topics of Threaded layout and Question + Answer + Comment list in the Q&A layout brings next level experience when you read the thread:

wpForo-v2-QA-Posts-Described-1010x1024.png wpForo-Threaded.png

5. You can quickly create a new thread in the category you want by clicking the corresponding [Add Topic] button. The buttons are displayed for each forum individually:

2022-08-12_14-09-02.png 2022-08-12_14-11-26.png

6 Multi-board system. You can create separate forums in the same website. You don't need to install two or more forum instances to have to separate forums. wpForo allows you to have multiple fully separated discussion pages in the same website.

7. Multi-language forums. You don't even need to install multi-language plugins. wpForo multi-board system allows you to have separate forums with different languages. So the forums will have UI phrases in corresponding language, even the header, footer and menus will be in correct language. You can have e.g. English, French and Italian forums in separate pages.

8. Multi-layout forums. This has been mentioned many times, but this is a great content delivery feature as well. You can see Q&A, Classic and Threaded forum layout on the same forum page. So the first category is the Q&A forum, next is a Classic and the next is a Threaded. A live demo you can see on the wpForo Community home page: https://wpforo.com/community/

And many more things I can list here that are different and bring very important features for an easy and modern discussion.

Last edited: