Would you upgrade from vb 3.8.11 to vb 4 or 5?

SteveP

Aspirant
I bought a Xenfro license and was going to go that route but it is so different I wonder if I'm going the wrong direction.

If things change to drastic it will hurt the forums. So I'm hoping for advice on the best way to move forward.
thanks.

gConverter

Participant
Hi SteveP,
I'd not say this is an upgrade. This is a migration from "different" forum solutions. vB3 > vB4 > vB5 is not recommended, it's harder than a simple vB3 > vB5 in terms of forum migration. There is no an easy upgrade way, so your only choice is the data migration. vB3 to vB5 is the same as vB3 to XenForo. Just select the target forum and do the migration.

If things change to drastic it will hurt the forums.
Do you have any non-regular content or solutions in your forum? The regular data like "Forums, Threads, Posts, Attachments, Users, Usergroups" can be migrated without any issue.

Last edited:

Joeychgo

TAZ Administrator
Under no circumstances would I go to vb 4 or 5.

For what its worth, I run a number of sites, several of which that are big boards, which were started on vb 3/4 back in the day. When it became clear to me that vB was no longer going to be a long term viable platform, I made the move to XF.

I bought a Xenfro license and was going to go that route but it is so different I wonder if I'm going the wrong direction.
It really isn't so different, especially for users.. This is why I chose to move to Xenforo

Alpha1

Administrator
Upgrading a vb3 forum to vb4 is would be a positive step. But it would still be very outdated software that is end of life and has been for a long time. It's an unsecured situation to be in.
Vb5 I would not consider at all.
You have already bought XenForo so create a demo version of your site for your members to try out. Add a style similar to the current theme of your site. Let them give you feedback and tweak it accordingly. See how that works out.

SteveP

Aspirant
Thanks for the replies and advice. I have tried offering things up to the forum members for advice and like the ole saying goes you never please everyone. And when you do not take some members advice it causes issues for them an their friends on the forum. I'm best off to just make the calls and get er done.

Anyone on here interested in contracting to upgrade my old forums?

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
An existing forum running vb3 is likely modded and limit your options.

Given the decrepit state of vb modding nowadays, unless you'd be satisfied with less reliance on 3rdparty mods, you might find it more practical to switch to platforms with active addons from your favorite developpers (some like Dragonbyte release addons for xenforo in addition to their vb originals).

zappaDPJ

Administrator
I wouldn't upgrade from vB3 to vB4 or 5 for reasons already stated. vB4 is EOL, unsupported and not compatible with current server standards. vB5 is simply not fit for purpose. As of today it has 2934 confirmed issues. To put that figure in some perspective, Xenforo 2.x has 10 confirmed issues.

Xenforo is the natural successor to vB3 because it's written by members of the same development team so from an administration point of view it's not that dissimilar. From a user point of view it's a massive upgrade with vastly improved functionality and that's how I would sell it to your members. They need to be told that your upgrade will provide major improvements in security and function. Mobile browsing will be vastly improved.

In my view getting your members familiar with Xenforo prior to the upgrade is a good idea but opening things up for suggestion is generally not. Install it, let them get familiar with it but let them know this is the way forward. I've migrated most of my forums from vBulletin to Xenforo without any major technical or member issues.

Something else to consider; if your current forum uses any design other than the default, you might want to keep things familiar with an updated version for the new software.

Anyone on here interested in contracting to upgrade my old forums?
mysiteguy or gConverter both offer professional migration services.

SteveP

Aspirant
Thanks again guys. I reached the same conclusion last year when I bought Xenfro but then I had issues migrating and found a way to procrastinate migrating. Then I wondered if I should give VB a look so I came here to ask just that in the VB group and got the info I needed. Awesome group with honest answers.

I believe I will migrate a small forum and let members of my bigger forums check that out if they want. Making the styles similar is a major concern for me but with time I will find a way. Good day to y'all. :D

Pigoo

Enthusiast
I have tried offering things up to the forum members for advice and like the ole saying goes you never please everyone.

I'm best off to just make the calls and get er done.
This is exactly what you must do. It needs to be a business decision...which is something many forum members can not or will not understand. You need to weigh the Pro's & Con's of a forum software migration...and then go for it (or not).

Plus when you ask for feedback from forum members...generally speaking...you will always get feedback from the loudest & most vocal members (which can be good & bad). Bad if you got a bunch of "old-farts" as members...who will want to resist change to their dying breath!;)

Trust me...if you do a vB3 to Xenforo migration...you will love it! And if you do a good job with the Xenforo theme so that it looks as similar as possible to your vB3 forum...the look & feel "change" to your members will be minimal. Sure there are some small differences how the PM system works & looks...and how the account profile looks & works...but these are things that members can adust to fairly quickly (not rocket science).;)

The back end (XF Admin Control Panel)...will be somewhat of a learning curve for you. But again...after you've used it for about a month...you will get much more comfortable with it too.

You're not just investing in your forum for today...but tomorrow too.

Good luck:)