Would You Say That MyBB Is The Best Free Bulletin Board Software?

Would You Say That MyBB Is The Best Free Bulletin Board Software?

• Yes

Votes: 71 56.8%
  • No

Votes: 20 16.0%
  • It's good but there are better ones out there

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Never tried it!

Votes: 11 8.8%

• Total voters

RWenger

Participant
I would agree. I use it, and I really like it. Sometimes I wish I could afford vBulletin, but I've used both and I'm sticking with MyBB for the foreseeable future.

shovenose

Adherent
i think phpbb is a very good experience and i think it looks nicer than vbulletin, but seeing that i havemt ever experienced any other kind of forum software i shouldnt be making a comparison, but the only thing i know about vb is that its ugly lol

RWenger

Participant
Considering I'm an engineering student, I do not mind that type of design at all. :p

Last edited:

Bytecode

Developer
I personally prefer phpBB, but I do like the fact MyBB has a modding system (whereas phpBB's mods are usually manual code edits).

ToCool74

Aspirant
I'd have to say its the best free bulletin board I've used.

I love the new features you get from the start that is not present in your typical invisionfree forum such as a chatroom and custom styles.

envira

Aspirant
hello,am a doctor and i dont know much about coding,
used phpbb to construct my first forum,faced many hardships like i used to get many SQL errors....due to plugins...

switched to smf which is as same but with little ease.......wasting some months on it....
finally am into mybb since a year,and i have to say that it is the best free forum software i have ever used.

highly easy to use,and plugin installing is all i have to a wow.........its really easy and for first time users just i say a single word "go for it".

the community staff is also supportive and now waiting for the 2.0 version,which i hope there may be a lot of scope for a forum networking.

for now,i have to say till date "mybb" is the best free forum software out there.....
if u want a simple alternative i would suggest "vanilla"....just for a change....
no smf or phpbb3...

thnkx all.....any mistakes pardon.

thnok

Participant
Yes sir. I should mention Windows Live Login, but you get the idea.
That would be nice. Only vanila has other login methods enabled out of the box none of the other free softwares has other login methods. But still I prefer mybb!!

Well said. Being a member of MyBB's team, obviously I am biased too - but furthermore, I don't know other forum software as well as I do MyBB.

There is obviously an audience for all of the forum software, otherwise they would not be used an maintained as much as they are.
Its great to have a member of the mybb staff on the forum. Just a thought can you guys please consider adding other login methods such as facebook and twitter connect in the near future please?

MattR

MyBB Support Team Lead
It wouldn't be the 'near' future as such, as in something in a 1.6 update, but 2.0. As has been said, we don't want to go down the full social route like some other software has, but we might end up implementing something like Facebook Connect or something, we'll have to see. We don't want to overload it with social networking stuff as then it becomes less of a forum for discussion, which is what the software actually is, instead we'd provide people with easy methods to add however much social networking stuff they want. That way, we stay as a forum software, but people are free to make their forum as much of a social network as they like.

el canadiano

But I said ███████████
It wouldn't be the 'near' future as such, as in something in a 1.6 update, but 2.0. As has been said, we don't want to go down the full social route like some other software has, but we might end up implementing something like Facebook Connect or something, we'll have to see. We don't want to overload it with social networking stuff as then it becomes less of a forum for discussion, which is what the software actually is, instead we'd provide people with easy methods to add however much social networking stuff they want. That way, we stay as a forum software, but people are free to make their forum as much of a social network as they like.
I don't really think it's necessary to add it into 1.6. The only reason we as an admin would want it is to make it easier for someone to register on a forum. That's essentially why OpenID, Facebook Connect, etc. are implemented. I do realize you (as the team) want to keep your product as a forum software, and that's absolutely fine. However, I don't see how implementing Alternative Login/Register methods is going to compromise that philosophy.

However, it'd be nice to have Q&A CAPTCHA by default, like phpBB, IPB, etc. That I would love to have in a later 1.6 release.

thnok

Participant
Any idea on when 2.0 will be released? Will it be before this summer I get the idea of what your trying to say but I am asking for fb connect and twitter is as an alternative method for the users to login or register in the forum. It wouldn't be to create a social network like feature but to make the login much easier and stay as a forum software.

MattR

MyBB Support Team Lead
No, it won't be before this summer, we're still early on in the development process. As I said, other methods of logging in is something that may get added, but I don't know for sure, it's not been decided for definite.

thnok

Participant
No, it won't be before this summer, we're still early on in the development process. As I said, other methods of logging in is something that may get added, but I don't know for sure, it's not been decided for definite.
Oh! I am still thinking of enabling the facebook connect feature via a plugin when 2.0 is released will it mess up with the login procedures? Well good luck on the development I am looking forward to using 2.0 hope it gets released during this year. Btw can you consider adding the trash can feature for 2.0 or in the near future?

Taim

Neophyte
I'm sure that Mybb is the best free software, though there are more good softwares but these are not free!!
MYBB is Great!!!!

Shadowdare

Participant
I would like to see something like the SSO/ProxyConnect plugin for Vanilla for MyBB.