Would You Say That MyBB Is The Best Free Bulletin Board Software?

Would You Say That MyBB Is The Best Free Bulletin Board Software?

• Yes

Votes: 71 56.8%
  • No

Votes: 20 16.0%
  • It's good but there are better ones out there

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Never tried it!

Votes: 11 8.8%

• Total voters

Shahaab

Aspirant
It's good but there are better ones out there. :)

Personally I like IPB and vBulletin. Both are paid therefore I would have to suggest MyBB for new forum's users to enjoy a best forum software ;)

zoldos

Lord Malleus
I'm not that young and i use free software, if my forum was busier or my members donated then i might consider going paid but i'm happy enough using free software.
I hear ya. It all depends on the admin's needs. phpBB is great either way I think, but I did enjoy IPB's premium features...

davert

Enthusiast
I use IPB (legacy) and MyBB (going forward). There's no comparison in ease of use and speed; MyBB wins out. The failures for MyBB IMHO are the lack of a good subscription program (letting people pay for higher levels of membership), the lack of DevFuse Garage (!), and ... well, I found three plugins I installed, out of seven, were buggy. Some more so than others.

As for customizing, MyBB absolutely wins out over IPB.

pavemen

Adherent
I use IPB (legacy) and MyBB (going forward). There's no comparison in ease of use and speed; MyBB wins out. The failures for MyBB IMHO are the lack of a good subscription program (letting people pay for higher levels of membership), the lack of DevFuse Garage (!), and ... well, I found three plugins I installed, out of seven, were buggy. Some more so than others.

As for customizing, MyBB absolutely wins out over IPB.

There are two subscription plugins out there, one paid and one free.

I am building a garage system, almost done. Need to find time to finish it. Not just vehicles, it will support anything you want to create.

davert

Enthusiast
An import from DevFuse garage would be very very very handy ;)

As for the subscription plugins, perhaps you could share their names or URLs? I've had no luck finding them.

davert

Enthusiast
That looks good. I don't want to require people to get paypal subscriptions, that's a bit more intrusive than I'm used to.

Thanks!

Liam

Developer
SMF is kinda slow in production, they had a Release Candidate for a long time. Or at least that's my view..

LbR

Aspirant
I'd say myBB is way better than Junk phpBB and SMF. The reason of calling those two junk is they short of updates and changes. MyBB is acting fast and sooner or later will cover the market of free forums!

iTzz_MaDnEsS

Aspirant
Definitly

MyBB is hands down, my favorite forum software, i "learned" it in 15 minutes!
there are lots of kewl plugins that are free :D and paid :/
:D Definitely Check It Out!

Kudu

Aspirant
I would say that it's the one of the best but, I think either SMF or possibly PHP are better.

What exactly do you mean by that? PHP isn't a forum software package - it's a programming language in which most BBs, including vB, IP.Board, phpBB and SMF, are written.

TrixieTang

Politically Incorrect
What exactly do you mean by that? PHP isn't a forum software package - it's a programming language in which most BBs, including vB, IP.Board, phpBB and SMF, are written.

I think he meant phpBB.

Preset

Aspirant
I think it's between phpBB and myBB. It's a pretty close competition.

sunsettommy

Enthusiast
I'd say myBB is way better than Junk phpBB and SMF. The reason of calling those two junk is they short of updates and changes. MyBB is acting fast and sooner or later will cover the market of free forums!

This is not an effective way to belittle two successful forum software's.They have their strengths and weaknesses.It is incumbent for anyone seeking a forum software to find the one that best meets YOUR needs.The one where it's strengths are the ones YOU need to use the most.

I have used phpBB2.Then phpBB3.Then SMF.And now myBB.

I finally found the software I liked,because it meets my needs adequately.The one that mattered to me,is why I like it the most.

myBB may not be the best free forum software out there,but it is the best one for ME!

dojo

Passionate admin
Absolutely. I love the script to death, even if 4 years ago I was anything but impressed with it.

adbrad

Habitué
Since i moved to mybb in june/july they have already had 2 new releases 1.6 and 1.6.1 although the latter is only bug and security fixes when with smf in november 2009 to june/july i think they released 1 version software which was another rc release.