Would You Say That MyBB Is The Best Free Bulletin Board Software?

Would You Say That MyBB Is The Best Free Bulletin Board Software?

• Yes

Votes: 71 56.8%
  • No

Votes: 20 16.0%
  • It's good but there are better ones out there

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Never tried it!

Votes: 11 8.8%

• Total voters

HallofFamer

Habitué
I think so. Mybb to me is like a downgraded version of VB, but almost comparable to IPB and UBB threads. Wonder how long it will stay as a freeware...

MattR

MyBB Support Team Lead
Because they wanted to, and we don't. Just because they did doesn't mean we will too :/

Ryan Loos

MyBB Liaison
I can assure you all that we have zero intentions of becoming a paid software. The future looks bright when it's free. :)

rngrdanny22

Adherent
I tried myBB when I was first starting out. Didnt really like the admin controls and the general "feel" of the software.

I have been using SMF ever since! 2.0RC3 is absolutely amazing and there are soooo many mods that can be downloaded. Of course, I've learned alot of coding along the way and SMF is really easy to mod yourself.

pavemen

Adherent
I tried myBB when I was first starting out. Didnt really like the admin controls and the general "feel" of the software.

I have been using SMF ever since! 2.0RC3 is absolutely amazing and there are soooo many mods that can be downloaded. Of course, I've learned alot of coding along the way and SMF is really easy to mod yourself.
How long ago was that? the ACP was completely rebuilt for 1.4 about two years ago. Its very easy to use now.

rngrdanny22

Adherent
I tried myBB about a year ago... it may be because it was the first thing I used and was still really new... just SMF was ALOT easier for a beginner... probably why I stuck with it!

adbrad

Habitué
i was running smf for about 8 months then i tried mybb and i converted i actually find mybb easier to use than smf. and it also has some of the features i wanted as core.

Manberlin

Not Manbearpig
For the features to cost ratio it's definitely a yes for me. MyBB has plenty of great mods, themes, and it is very easy to use. Their support forums, although I think have begun to improve, still lacks a bit compared to some of the others.

Jerlene

Enthusiast
MyBB is definitely the best free forum software out there, especially if you're a fan of vBulletin.

vash

Aspirant
I am certainly enjoying using MyBB. It has been very easy to pick up from scratch and I have found the support and the plugins out there to be very powerful, I would highly recommend it from my limited experience!

Northsider

Aspirant
Although I use SMF, myBB is a great piece of software. What I look for is ease of customization. Both SMF and MyBB have EASY customization with it's plugins. I like the fact that I don't have to be a coder (or pretend to be, hunched over searching for specific lines of code to edit per the installation instructions) to use SMF or MyBB. Is it the best? Dunno. Everyone has different preferences...it's pretty damn good though.

zoldos

Lord Malleus
I just setup a new MyBB forum for the first time yesterday and I would have to say that this is some really nice software. What's your opinion on it?
I used to own a IPB license and liked it, I've also used phpBB and SMF. As for free forum software, I prefer pbpBB. There seems to be a lot of support and a multitude of plugins/templates. I also like the features and ease of use...

pavemen

Adherent
For the features to cost ratio it's definitely a yes for me. MyBB has plenty of great mods, themes, and it is very easy to use. Their support forums, although I think have begun to improve, still lacks a bit compared to some of the others.
a lot of the "others" that folks are comparing to are paid forum software, so its apple to oranges in many cases when it comes to support. Paid staff, versus volunteers and then there is the client side, free forums attract a lot more younger folks. While I am not saying that those who can afford paid software are any better or worse than those that can not or choose to not buy, its just that the younger crowd tends to ask the stupid questions or cause issues when they get answers they dont like.

adbrad

Habitué
a lot of the "others" that folks are comparing to are paid forum software, so its apple to oranges in many cases when it comes to support. Paid staff, versus volunteers and then there is the client side, free forums attract a lot more younger folks. While I am not saying that those who can afford paid software are any better or worse than those that can not or choose to not buy, its just that the younger crowd tends to ask the stupid questions or cause issues when they get answers they dont like.
I'm not that young and i use free software, if my forum was busier or my members donated then i might consider going paid but i'm happy enough using free software.

pavemen

Adherent
I'm not that young and i use free software, if my forum was busier or my members donated then i might consider going paid but i'm happy enough using free software.
i am older than most here and i am using free stuff. MyBB, Coppermine, heck, even Apache/PHP/MySQL are free.

I was specifically referencing the issue of the MyBB support forums. A lot of folks here compare the MyBB support forums to IPB and VB support. Those are paid and MyBB is free, thus it attracts a younger crowd and thusly the issues related to such.

I run a Big Board and while its not a busy as it used to be, I still prefer to run free software and it runs it perfectly fine.