Would You Say That MyBB Is The Best Free Bulletin Board Software?

Would You Say That MyBB Is The Best Free Bulletin Board Software?

• Yes

Votes: 71 56.8%
  • No

Votes: 20 16.0%
  • It's good but there are better ones out there

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Never tried it!

Votes: 11 8.8%

• Total voters

gregdavidson

Enthusiast
I just setup a new MyBB forum for the first time yesterday and I would have to say that this is some really nice software. What's your opinion on it?

el canadiano

But I said ███████████
They can easily compete against the paid guys (I own an IPB license and have owned a vBulletin in the past). I'm a fan of MyBB, but I definitely do not like some of the community members on the forums (nothing wrong with the Staff and the Support team, who both do their job with a little more). It also doesn't seem like they're interested in alternative login methods, which have easily benefitted my IPB forums.

adbrad

Habitué
i've been running it for about a month now and can say i like it a lot i think its better than smf

Akela

viam aut inveniam...
I voted yes. I believe, phpBB is more scalable (is that a word?), but this is unlikely to be of any importance to a new forum.

It also doesn't seem like they're interested in alternative login methods, which have easily benefitted my IPB forums.
What alternative methods do you refer to?

Last edited:

MalafeX

Aspirant
I voted yes. I believe, phpBB is more scalable (is that a word?), but this is unlikely to be of any importance to a new forum.

What alternative methods do you refer to?

He probable means Facebook, Twitter and OpenID.

Speeder

Participant
MyBB is the best opensource forum software, and can easily compete with the paid ones.

I still have IPB and vB licenses, but I'm currently using only MyBB on my sites.

MyBB only lacks some better integration with other softwares (CMS for example) and a better internationalization (many texts are still hardcoded in the source files and database).

And of course, more modules for the MyBB Merge System (IPB 3 for example).

meetdilip

Tazmanian Master
I have tried MyBB and SMF. I like SMF more. May be because I got used to. My friends run a MyBB forum. I am quite happy with its performance which I rate just after SMF.

Blind Bandit

Fanatic
Mybb is nice but it doesn't compete with paid software. The theme and lack of scalability need work. Hopefully both will be addressed in Mybb 2.0

adbrad

Habitué
Mybb is nice but it doesn't compete with paid software. The theme and lack of scalability need work. Hopefully both will be addressed in Mybb 2.0

the title says best free software.
we are comparing it to other free software not paid software. I don't think any free software would compete with paid software.

GamesGaloure

Pre-School
I would say that it's the one of the best but, I think either SMF or possibly PHP are better.

Blind Bandit

Fanatic
the title says best free software.
we are comparing it to other free software not paid software. I don't think any free software would compete with paid software.

I'm aware of that. But lets be honest paid vs free is still an issue. And as of right now the free forum software's are rather lacking. There isn't much competition in the free forum software right now.

imkingdavid

Developer
As a team member on phpBB.com, I admit to having some bias towards it.

However, to be fair, MyBB is a good piece of software. If it wasn't, it wouldn't be as popular as it is.

In any case, there is no hard, definite "best" forum software; what is "best" depends on what you need. If MyBB offers the feature set that best suits your needs, go with it. Otherwise, look into another software.

In my personal opinion, the customizability of MyBB and its alternatives (phpBB, SMF, et al) make paid software (such as IPB and vBulletin) unnecessary; anything that you need that you can find in a paid software can be done (with or with extra effort) just as good, if not better, in a free software.

Ryan Loos

MyBB Liaison
As a team member on phpBB.com, I admit to having some bias towards it.

However, to be fair, MyBB is a good piece of software. If it wasn't, it wouldn't be as popular as it is.

In any case, there is no hard, definite "best" forum software; what is "best" depends on what you need. If MyBB offers the feature set that best suits your needs, go with it. Otherwise, look into another software.

In my personal opinion, the customizability of MyBB and its alternatives (phpBB, SMF, et al) make paid software (such as IPB and vBulletin) unnecessary; anything that you need that you can find in a paid software can be done (with or with extra effort) just as good, if not better, in a free software.
Well said. Being a member of MyBB's team, obviously I am biased too - but furthermore, I don't know other forum software as well as I do MyBB.

There is obviously an audience for all of the forum software, otherwise they would not be used an maintained as much as they are.

euantor

MyBB Lead Developer
MyBB is certainly my favorite software to use thanks to the fact that it has a very low server footprint yet is very capable. 1.6 added many needed features and I'm sure 2.0 will do the same.

The only reason I ever went to vB for my main forum is because of a couple of cool modifications I wanted (which I could now probably make for MyBB).

JohnPC

Aspirant
You can do just about anything on MyBB that you can do on other softwares, including the paid.

Jack1

Fan
I just setup a new MyBB forum for the first time yesterday and I would have to say that this is some really nice software. What's your opinion on it?
Obviously it's nowhere near as good as paid but it's certainly the best free software, easily installable mods, good ACP and UCP/MCP for that matter as well.
Definitely good for running a forum on, lots of themes and good features :)