Implemented Would you blog on TAZ?

Would you blog about admin topics on TAZ?

• Yes, definitely

• Might do

• No, not a chance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kevin

Oooh, something shiny!
Does anybody know of a forum that is using a blog add-on where the blog add-on is actually being used and is active?

Serious question, not trying to be sarcastic. I ask because every forum I've ever seen or been or a part of that has added a "blog" add-on the end result is typically that it is added with a lot of fanfare, some of the regulars use it for a little bit of time before they go back to posting in the forums, and eventually the add-on is discarded or buried deep and/or repurposed for something else. Now a blog that adds a forum, that's a different story.

The Sandman

Administrator
Does anybody know of a forum that is using a blog add-on where the blog add-on is actually being used and is active?

Serious question, not trying to be sarcastic. I ask because every forum I've ever seen or been or a part of that has added a "blog" add-on the end result is typically that it is added with a lot of fanfare, some of the regulars use it for a little bit of time before they go back to posting in the forums, and eventually the add-on is discarded or buried deep and/or repurposed for something else. Now a blog that adds a forum, that's a different story.
Not taken as sarcastic at all - you're asking the right questions or at least the same questions I'm asking myself. I guess I'm wondering if TAZ is more amenable to hosting blogs than other sites due to our niche and the combined knowledge and experience of our members.

Ryan Ashbrook

IPS Developer

On a site I used to run, we had a "Journals" forum, where each member had a topic and they would make a new post in that topic as a "journal entry." We replaced that with Blogs, and they were pretty successful and allowed for better interaction (considering the size of the site, at least).

I voted maybe, but I've always been a proponent of things like blog and gallery add-ons. It gives users their own little "space."

Igneous

Participant
I suppose I could see myself blogging, would there be an option to publish? Sometimes I like to not set things as public until I'm happy with it.

The Sandman

Administrator
It has a preview function - it won't go public until you hit the create button.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
Interesting... why wouldn't you read them?
How many reasons can I list? :D

Surely the number one reason has to be why should I? What's in it for me? Should I read a wall of text on the off-chance that I might learn something?

Another factor; how did I arrive there. If I found it via a search then I'm probably going to be annoyed. I've asked a simple question and Google has directed me to a wall of text.

Or perhaps I was already there on the forum. Chances are I'll never click on the Blog tab.

Having said that I'm not sure how much of it applies to me but I know for sure that some of it applies to the majority of everyone else.

Jim McClain

Senior Citizen
Interesting... why wouldn't you read them?
In my mind, a blog has less credibility than an article. An article should be fact-checked and annotated, whereas a blog post is more akin to a forum post, but less challenged. All three can be commented on, but a forum post is a more complete and open discussion of a specific issue. I would read and even participate on the exact same content if it was a topic in the forum, but less interested in commenting on the blog post, or even reading it. An article has the appearance of authority and any comments I might make would be more along the line of appreciation.

If I searched Google for the solution to a particular problem and the most promising result appeared to be a TAZ blog post, I'd read it. But if there were also results as forum posts, I would read those first, even if they were lower down on the results page than the blog post (I almost never go to page 2, etc. of search results).

I realize others feel differently. In years past, webmastering and coding were part of my lifestyle. These days, not so much. It's my job and I like to stay informed and share my opinion occasionally, but my lifestyle is more oriented to fun pursuits, photography, Jeepin' and gliding around on my Segway.

The Sandman

Administrator
I voted Yes, just to show that I'm interesting to do it. But if finally I'll start blogging, it depends on how the blog should works. If it works like a real blog, yes, I'll start blogging. If it works like a thread, sorry no.
Oh, it's a real blog without a doubt. I'll see if I can get permission to post some additional details and screenshots. :)

cheat_master30

Well, it's a tough question.

In theory I might, and was a regular user of the member blogs feature back on my old forums.

But at the same time, I'm not sure there'd be a reason to blog here rather than elsewhere. It's just not as popular as dedicated content hosting platforms like Medium are, and less customisable than one on my own hosting account would be. I'm not also sure how many people actually check non forum content sections on sites like this either. My experience there was that the majority of users never went anywhere near a blogs/downloads/gallery section and were only really interested in the posts.

Still, I voted maybe none the less.

Maddox

Habitué
The add-on is not finished, that is not Gold standard; it's currently in RC2 stage. Limited means you have ask the developer for access, which means purchasing an early adopters release with the understanding that the add-on is not quite ready for the wild.

:)

The Sandman

Administrator
If you haven't done so already, please vote in the poll. The more people that vote the better I can judge whether or not to give this a go.

pierce

Habitué
I voted for not writing but depending on how they might be used like experience etc, it all depends on how they are googled?

I might be able when I have more time to write blog posts on how I do things. I was considering keeping a progress diary on here for a new forum I'm hoping to start. But a continuous thread I thought would be better for that...

I'm inherently private about my successes and public about my failings. Which is human behavior...

The Sandman

Administrator
The add-on is not finished, that is not Gold standard; it's currently in RC2 stage. Limited means you have ask the developer for access, which means purchasing an early adopters release with the understanding that the add-on is not quite ready for the wild.
Not exactly.

UBS (User Blog System) 1.x.x has been stable for well over a year now. There have been 4 2nd point releases in the past year (1.1, 1.2, 1.3 and 1.4). 1.4 is currently in RC 2 and 1.4.0 Stable is due to be released very shortly.

Bob does things a little different from most add-on developers. His add-ons are quite complex and he doesn't just release them on XenForo.com once he's coded them - he has his own site for selling and supporting them. Not only that, but for the early part of an add-ons life he doesn't even release it on his main site - they're available only by contacting him privately. During this stage he offers "early adopter" licenses, which run longer and have additional perks for his inner circle customers including availability of pre-release versions of the software.

So, the User Blog System is not unfinished by any means. If an early adopter chooses to, they can run the pre-release beta or Release Candidate versions that aren't available to anyone else.

For those who aren't familiar with Bob, his Release Candidates (and his betas for that matter) are very stable and Bob gives super support (although he does expect you to follow his instructions and might get testy if you don't).

There's absolutely nothing unfinished or wrong with the UBS and I'd already have it installed if I was sure TAZ members would use it.