Wordpress and dedicated forum (IPS, Vb or XF)?

Wendell

Aspirant
wpForo is nice but last time I used it took a bit to get it set-up. is it more out-of-the-box now?
It was pretty easy to setup and that was over a year ago, so it's likely better now.

Also, your registration page for your site is beautiful.
Thank you! But I can't take credit for it. That is standard wpForo with the custom profile fields addon installed.

Regs

Aspirant
BuddyBoss looks absolutely incredible. Did it get revamped recently? Also, what type of support do you have for various other wordpress plugins?
I think this spring would be coming up on 1 year since launch of the platform and theme. By support, can you clarify what you mean? most plugins should work fine, some better than others as expected in the wp world :)

gConverter

Participant
I use wpForo with my community website that gets between 50k and 100k uniques per month (depends on the season, but we're on the lower end at the moment). Have a look, if you are interested in seeing wpForo in action: https://rplstoday.com/community/
My congrats!
Very nice forum. We've already migrated more than a hundred forums to wpForo. And I think wpForo forum plugin allows WordPress to compete with IPS, Vb or XF. The main reason of those migrations were these:
  1. Free but with all pro features | It's a free software, but it's being developed and made as a real pro forum software.
  2. Thousands of plugins | They can use thousands of WordPress plugins and themes with wpForo forum plugin
  3. Brand-new feature in forum world called Hybrid Forum | wpForo has very nice, modern and unique designs. It allows forum admins to display forum with different forum layouts at the same time (hybrid forum). I see it on your website too. You use two nice layouts.
  4. Easy but powerful | Very easy to manage and use but you still get the full pro features of forum software. Even more wpForo comes with many unique features.
  5. Active development and support | This guys work very hard and update the forum actively. The support is also outstanding.

cheat_master30

As someone who's tried to integrate XenForo with WordPress, I'd probably say using WpForo is likely the best bet here. Better to have one system responsible for both the website and forum rather than trying to integrate two of them, since the latter always feels kinda... off. Integrations just never work perfectly, and they're almost always a pain to manage.

Not sure about Buddyboss though. It looks promising, but the way they don't seem to use it on their own website doesn't seem to inspire confidence. Would need to see a demo that's open to the public to view to really know what to say about it.

Alfa1

Administrator
Yes, that irked me as well about BuddyBoss: they should have a demo. Their website says its coming though. But its easy to get the free version up and running.

gConverter

Participant
Not sure about Buddyboss though. It looks promising, but the way they don't seem to use it on their own website doesn't seem to inspire confidence. Would need to see a demo that's open to the public to view to really know what to say about it.
Buddyboss is just a WordPress theme based on BuddyPress profile builder plugin. And they are profile systems with social network features. They are not forums. However, they can be used with bbPress and wpForo forum plugins. bbPress doesn't have profile system so it requires BuddyPress, but wpForo has own rich profile system with account settings. But the wpForo User Profile system can also be easily extended by BuddyPress or by native wpForo User Custom Fields addon. Here are some good screenshots:

wpForo-BuddyPress-Integration.png wpForo-Profile-Page-Building-with-User-Custom-Field-addon.png