Wordpress and dedicated forum (IPS, Vb or XF)?

MTT

Aspirant
Using the last version of Wordpress which dedicated forum is the best for integrating it with the blog? I need the signle sign on option and the cross posting from blog to forum. Many plugins for Mybb and Phpbb are very very old and even if I tried to fix them they're very unstable.

Alfa1

Administrator
Have you looked into BuddyBoss?
XF and vb do not have integration with WordPress. It is however the most popular recent suggestion for XF and the XF team tends to implement suggestions that are very popular. So if you have time to wait for XF2.2 then this could be interesting.

IPS already has WordPress SSO.
I am however not quite sure what it entails or if it has API integration, widgets, automatic synch of members, etc.
Matt M could you explain what the IPS <-> WP integration entails?

haqzore

Devotee
Alfa1 - is buddyboss free?

I see paid options, then a link right below to download free, but no explanation of the difference. Are the paid options hosted by buddyboss, while the free download is self-hosted?

Alfa1

Administrator
Mmmh, when will come out the 2.2 of XF?
No one knows. See:
Alfa1 - is buddyboss free?

I see paid options, then a link right below to download free, but no explanation of the difference. Are the paid options hosted by buddyboss, while the free download is self-hosted?
No.
That is pretty slick UI. :tup:
Yes, indeed. And fully integrated with WordPress.

MTT

Aspirant
I used it for a small project and it's a nice forum, better than Simple:press for sure. This time since, hopefully, is a bigger project I would like something more likely a IPS, vB or XF tho. Respect a minor forum plugin they make me feel more sure about the future :D

Joel R

Fan
IPS (Invision Community) offers native oAuth 2 integration with WordPress, combining a premium community experience with the world's largest CMS. This was a recent feature release to IPS.

IPS also natively supports the external embed of community content into your WordPress:

And finally, IPS has an SSO file in the third party Marketplace that's been well supported for many years if you'd like a more seamless sign on experience.

overcast

Adherent
I must say IPS is all time favorite. You just use them once and never have to look back. Especially for creating membership based forums and communities this is a good forum script.

DanielF

Aspirant
Can I bother you for a link?

Kyrie

Fan
I use wpForo with my community website that gets between 50k and 100k uniques per month (depends on the season, but we're on the lower end at the moment). Have a look, if you are interested in seeing wpForo in action: https://rplstoday.com/community/
wpForo is nice but last time I used it took a bit to get it set-up. is it more out-of-the-box now?

Also, your registration page for your site is beautiful.

Regs

Aspirant
Hi Alfa1 :)

To help you guys out, the buddyboss platform itself is free. The "slick UI" is actually the theme that is a paid for product/subscription.

The platform itself is/was a fork of buddypress and bbpress so if already have a theme that builds on top of those, the platform should just work when you install it (and then deactivate buddypress/bbpress). Note you can turn off the forums/bbpress component so if there is some sort of other forum software you want to use, that shouldn't be a blocker.

The platform theme adds on the ui you see and includes integrations with a growing list of 3rd party plugins (mostly of the "professional" variety such as Learndash and lifterlms (I think that is ready, not sure))

Cheers,

Regs.

Kyrie

Fan
Hi Alfa1 :)

To help you guys out, the buddyboss platform itself is free. The "slick UI" is actually the theme that is a paid for product/subscription.

The platform itself is/was a fork of buddypress and bbpress so if already have a theme that builds on top of those, the platform should just work when you install it (and then deactivate buddypress/bbpress). Note you can turn off the forums/bbpress component so if there is some sort of other forum software you want to use, that shouldn't be a blocker.

The platform theme adds on the ui you see and includes integrations with a growing list of 3rd party plugins (mostly of the "professional" variety such as Learndash and lifterlms (I think that is ready, not sure))

Cheers,

Regs.
BuddyBoss looks absolutely incredible. Did it get revamped recently? Also, what type of support do you have for various other wordpress plugins?