- Jun 29, 2008
On 24 May 2022, WordPress 6.0 « Arturo » was released to the public. For more information on this release, read the WordPress 6.0 announcement.
- Select text across multiple blocks for easier copying and pasting.
- Type two open brackets `[[` to quickly access a list of recent posts and pages.
- Keep existing styles when you transform some blocks from one kind to another—from a Paragraph block to a Code block, for instance.
- Create customized buttons and any new buttons you make will retain the style customizations automatically.
- Make tag clouds and social icons even more appealing with updated settings and controls, and a new outline style for the tag cloud.
- Featured images can be used in the cover block.
- New featured image sizing controls make it easier to get the results you want.
- While editing a template, at the root, or between blocks, the quick inserter shows you patterns and template parts to help you work faster and discover new layout options.
- The query block supports filtering on multiple authors, support for custom taxonomies, and support for customizing what is shown when there are no results.
register patterns from the Pattern Directory using `theme.json`, enabling you to prioritize specific patterns that are most helpful to your theme’s users.
- A new color panel design saves space, but still shows your options at a glance.
- New border controls offer a simpler way to set your border exactly as you like it.
- Transparency levels for your colors allow for even more creative color options.
- Control gaps, margins, typography, and more on a collection of blocks, all at once, in the Group block.
- Switch between stack, row, and group variations to position groups of blocks with more layout flexibility.
- Use the gap support functionality in the Gallery block to create different looks – from adding spacing between all images, to removing spacing altogether.
Now you can lock your blocks. Choose to disable the option to move a block, remove a block, or both. This simplifies project handover, allowing your clients to unleash their creativity without worrying about accidentally breaking their site in the process.
read about these updates and learn more about the accessibility initiatives that are ongoing.
Watch a brief overview video highlighting some of the major features debuting in WordPress 6.0.
Explore learn.wordpress.org/workshops for quick how-to videos and lots more on new features in WordPress. Or join a live interactive online learning session on a specific WordPress topic.
Developers can explore the WordPress 6.0 Field Guide. It is overflowing with detailed developer notes to help you build with and extend WordPress.
Read the WordPress 6.0 Release Notes for more information on the included enhancements and issues fixed, installation information, developer notes and resources, release contributors, and the list of file changes in this release.