WoltLab Suite 3.0 is now live on beta.woltlab.com

TrixieTang

Politically Incorrect
There's flat design, and there's bad design. Skimping on visual clues like borders or backgrounds may make your design look modern, but in fact it decreases readability.

This is my issue with themes like this - They have little-to-no distinction between the actual content and the extraneous info/buttons/links/whatever.

I find this theme particularly unreadable due to the massive amount of solid white and no real visual distinction between different elements.

GTB

Tazmanian
Part of the problem I'm seeing is the faded color used for sidebar blocks and profile background in posts looks a little too faded against the white background because no darker colour is being used. I did a mock to see the difference if you simply added a dark header bar to the sidebar block and profiles in posts and the faded background becomes more apparent then, also breaks up the sections better - but still looks like it needs to be just a little bit less faded (but not much) .

It was sunny here yesterday and the light coming in on monitor made it nearly impossible to see the difference between white background and colour used for sidebar

Capture.PNG

Last edited:

GTB

Tazmanian
I think they had it red background at first. Pretty sure they did and then changed it to white..

The alerts bell is what you want. And have you seen how the alerts bell works yet, lol. It swings like a bell when you have any alerts.

Capture.PNG

The URL saying BETA is a bit misleading, yes. But to be fair the site was setup mostly for live beta testing because once getting to that out Alpha. Then I think you can update version releases easy via admin cp. Which at minute you cannot do with this early alpha

Last edited:

Digital Doctor

Tazmanian
upload_2016-8-24_12-9-2.png
I like the dropdown to the left of the search area.
When I click it this is displayed.
upload_2016-8-24_12-11-41.png
To me, I know it is a small thing, but I think the word Forum should show that it is currently selected. Like this.
upload_2016-8-24_12-15-24.png

I like the idea of autocomplete in the search area .... but it didn't work ? or worked randomly.

Didnt work for these three.
upload_2016-8-24_12-10-46.png
upload_2016-8-24_12-16-1.png
upload_2016-8-24_12-16-20.png

Worked for this
upload_2016-8-24_12-17-43.png
Of course what is Avatar rund ?
and When I clicked it I got this...
upload_2016-8-24_12-18-25.png

I didn't find the style fully responsive.
I did my usual test .... make the browser window (not maximized) and then make is small, put it in the top left corner of the screen ... then drag it as big as you can ... A passing grade is when no horizontal scrollbar shows up.
WBB3.alpha failed.
upload_2016-8-24_12-24-8.png

GTB

Tazmanian
Same I think but the newer Radactor, which has changed now in how it functions from one used in WBB 4.1 and XenForo. No longer does it use things like font-size or font-style to change

https://imperavi.com/redactor/

Last edited:

GTB

Tazmanian
is WBB3 going to be open source ?
The framework is open source and comes with a CMS included "Articles". The rest of apps like Forum, Blog, Gallery, e.t.c - no you have to buy them to use with the framework. The framework has always been free to use but now it's coming with a free CMS included, which means it could end up being a free competitor to WordPress.

GTB

Tazmanian
Yes, for the earlier framework used with WBB 4.1. There are a few add-ons that you can simply install with the framework only and some are free. Tims Chat is one of them that's free to bolt onto the free framework - if you wanted a free site that is. There are others also as well that are paid add-ons and don't require the Woltlab APPs be installed to use them.

Think there is a 3rd party Article system

GTB

Tazmanian
Has anyone built a major addition to the Framework other than Woltlab itself ?
like an alternative gallery ? alternative articles ?
The biggest thing for me with this new framework is the fact it's coming with an "offical" CMS included and you can use it free as part of the framework being open source. When you think the permission system, likes, tags, redactor editor... all comes included with framework this is going to be a viable (supported) alternative to using the likes of WordPress. That is a massive thing when you think about it, how it can tempt people to use it as just a free CMS as first and then maybe end up buying some APPS to install later with it like adding a forum?

It's very slick move I think by WBB doing this.

Last edited:

TimWolla

Developer
Hi
Of course what is Avatar rund ?
The suggestions are searches other users performed in the past. They might or might not lead to results at a later point in time.

In case you're curious: The translation is „Avatar Round“.
is WBB3 going to be open source ?
As GTB correctly explained WoltLab Suite Core is Open Source and Free Software (licensed under the terms of the Lesser GNU General Public License). The Forum, Gallery, Filebase etc. is Open Source (you can read the source code), but not free software. You'll have to buy them.
Same I think but the newer Radactor
Correct. WoltLab Suite Core 3 uses Redactor 2 (currently version 1.2), WoltLab Community Framework 2.1 used Redactor 1 (currently version 10). The latter is the older one.

GTB

Tazmanian
To me, I know it is a small thing, but I think the word Forum should show that it is currently selected. Like this.
Doesn't really make any difference that because when you select forum the menu gets closed and FORUM is displayed in Search bar for you to know what was selected.

Capture.PNG

Last edited:

Lizard King

Habitué
I liked the design 10 times over XF 2.0 preview design. At least WBB has correct typography and clearly they look to invest more time to ship a better UI/X

GTB

Tazmanian
This is my issue with themes like this - They have little-to-no distinction between the actual content and the extraneous info/buttons/links/whatever.
Didn't like the style look at first either after using WBB 4.1. But it has grown on me since and now looking back at WBB 4.1 default theme - I much prefer this one used now with Suite 3. But putting "looks" aside, the bigger far easier to read font-size now, which also made it possible to use larger sized more popular emoji smilies. Other little things like that make this style far better than the previous one used with WBB 4.1.

Last edited: