Windows or Linux server hosting? Ultimate debate

Luuk

Aspirant
I've read dozens of articles on which OS to choose for hosting and still, I want to hear more opinions. Can you maybe throw some tips from your personal experience?

Kevin

Oooh, something shiny!
OK, I'm curious since I didn't realize anybody was actually debating it. :cautious:

What are the perceived advantages of choosing a Windows host over Linux?

pierce

Habitué
OK, I'm curious since I didn't realize anybody was actually debating it. :cautious:

Enterprise in quotes uses windows.

But for me I don't want to pay $30 a month extra just for a Windows license on a leased server.

Also backing configs up on Linux is easy. Windows? Buried everywhere.

It's going to be Linux from me.

mysiteguy

Fanatic
Linux and other Unix and Unix-like operating systems won this field long ago. The only debate... are articles about it, usually written by web hosting companies, to try to get people to their web site.

Luuk

Aspirant
Thank you for your replays, sorry for the question, I surely got caught in dozens of articles online. Sorry to ask you more, but maybe you could then suggest what service provider to choose? Now I've been looking for linux VPS in this time4vps.com website, maybe you've heard something about them? I see they operate in Europe so I thought maybe they are trust-worthy and prices seem reasonable. Sorry for stupid questions.

Solidus

Stupid machines!
Thank you for your replays, sorry for the question, I surely got caught in dozens of articles online. Sorry to ask you more, but maybe you could then suggest what service provider to choose? Now I've been looking for linux VPS in this time4vps.com website, maybe you've heard something about them? I see they operate in Europe so I thought maybe they are trust-worthy and prices seem reasonable. Sorry for stupid questions.
Horribly oversold. For Europe, use Hetzner as mentioned above.

HD-Sam

Aspirant
Unless your requirements call for Windows, use Linux. A lot less headache IMO

overcast

Adherent
I don't see any strong reason to go for Windows. Unless ofcourse your staff or the developers who only know Windows. Otherwise Linux pretty much dominates in VPS and dedicated server instance.

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer

You can experience the joy of suffering day and night.

Slow, insecure, buggy, crashes every so often, programs you want to run probably won't be compatible. See, Windows is great for servers.

\o/

an oddity
Can you maybe throw some tips from your personal experience?
The most important tip from my personal experience is: Don't limit yourself to two operating systems - there is a whole world of systems to discover.
Also, never assume that one system fits all purposes, regardless of what you think you know.

I run three different systems on my web servers, none of which are Linux or Windows. :)

serverbasket

Neophyte
Both Linux and Windows hosting has their advantages and disadvantages but which to choose or which is the best is depend on requirment.

Both are two different types of operating systems.

Linux is more secure than windows. It is the ideal if you want to use ou want to use PHP, Perl or MySQL and it is the best for blogs, content management systems, online stores as well as forums.

Whereas Window hosting is the best if you want to add specific windows applications like The Official Microsoft ASP.NET Site, MSSQL, Visual Basi, MS Access, Remote Desktop etc.

But still before selecting any of them, once ask your web master.

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer
Nothing is "secure".
While there might no such thing as "absolute security", especially in the face of a nation state with billions of dollars at their disposal, there are choices that are known for having better standards of security than others and Windows is almost embarrassing in comparison.

Sometimes, a component which they completely forget about 20 years ago when they shoe-horned it in from an older system that didn't have much thought towards security will rear it's ugly head. Linux isn't the best, but it's better than Windows and there are ways to harden it further.

There are also many efforts being made by the community and large tech giants to find security holes in the code-base, including large scale fuzzing to make sure that components behave as expected, even under very unusual conditions. This has found a number of bugs. It is also very important that you update when a security fix comes out.

In contrast, Windows is known for taking it's time when it finds a security flaw, waiting an entire month for an arbitrary date known as "Patch Tuesday". And on one occasion when Google alerted them of a vulnerability, they still had failed to have it patched even after 120 days and Google ended up disclosing the vulnerability to the public as a disincentive not to do that again.

\o/

an oddity
Remember the X.org security issue that took 26 years to find and fix before talking bad about Windows.

overcast

Adherent
I have Debian Linux on OVH and I am happy with it. Also for my shared hosting account on Hawkhost, I have linux too. It's good to be around linux as far as hosting is concerned.

Panupat

Habitué
For us individual webmasters there's no reason to go Windows.

For enterprise however... The supply chain of corporate software and hardware is integrated. The sales guy for Dell is trained in selling Dell servers with solutions that enterprise customers are looking for. HP will finance your software investment in Microsoft for large integrated deals. IBM will do so too, even if through their larger big cash partners. That is, corporate IT at the f500 level is usually a big 20 year deal with one of the big 4 (Oracle, IBM, HP and MS) and/or a combinantion of them. So they say: I'll close a deal for 5 million usd/year × 30 years for software and hardware, all licenses and even service or support included (it is NEVER good support, but theyll include it on paper, pushing out any offer from medium/small sized providers)

The iron and software is thrown to the IT department who is supposed to take whatever finance bought and make it work whether they like it or not. IT people are never, ever asked what the company should buy. The market is such that the buyer will believe the oligopolistic seller whatever they say, because a publication such as Gartner's commands and validates it.

Yes. It's ridiculous. Welcome to corporate computing

Last edited:

overcast

Adherent
Only reason people use Windows hosting these days is because if they wish to use the Windows based stack like .NET based products. That too will change with .NET core now. And people will move to linux eventually. Azure is another hting for which enterprise and small business would be relying on.