Windows 11

zappaDPJ

Administrator
I had an update today which concluded by opening up Edge displaying an ad for Windows 11.

evcom

Participant
I'm just in the progress of updating an older Surface Pro Tablet to the latest Window 10 release. It takes incredibly long, several restarts. Few weeks ago I took a new Laptop fresh from the shelf into operation. I was staggered how many questions there need to be answered to get started, mostly about data use, feedbacks, news delivery and the like. Windows has become a data collection system, targeted to feed back as much data to home so as to optimise content/product delivery thereby increasing revenues. Nothing wrong with this, making money is the prime goal of a profit oriented company.

Windows 11 will be no different. Only difference is, it's no longer the moneymaker. Other MS apps and services have taken over. So I guess MS will not invest too much anymore into the OS in the long run.

At work we use MS extensively (SP, Teams, Office, ...). At home I've been using a Mac from 2008-2015, it was ok but this OS has it's issues too.
Before that I was using Linux where possible. It was not something for the average user back then. In the last few years a re-joined Linux (Mint) again and I must say - Linux has much improved in usability and it's a good contender to the other two OS, at least when used for typical home user applications. A Mint distro is now easier to install than a Windows 10/11.

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
I think the sudden high bar to clear in W11 is explainable by the new Windows 365 subscription you can get which claims not to be VDI but smells a lot like VDI, and is basically a cloud based VM running Win11 that you can use. More info: https://www.theregister.com/2021/07/14/windows_365/

Nothing quite like 'the new shiny' to convince people to adopt it.

DigNap15

Fan
MS made the big mistake of promising Windows 10 would be the last Windows
And making it free!
How can they support a product for free?

I dont like all the phone home stuff

Taylor J

Fan
MS made the big mistake of promising Windows 10 would be the last Windows
And making it free!

I dont like all the phone home stuff

I don't see how your first 2 points are mistakes...

And they can support it by making money elsewhere, which they already do (Azure, Gamepass, Xbox, Microsoft 365, etc). Apple doesn't charge for their OS yet they somehow still support it.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
Revenue from subscriptions more than would make up the difference.
Instead of a one-off payment from OEMs (less than 30$ per copy theyll need to keep supported for 5 years or longer, less than 200$ for everyone else), they get to uncap the average and maximum revenue they can earn per user. Theyre also not worried about urgently making money from the store, they need to incentivize as many devs as possible to upload their software and games there, then the walled garden will easily monetize itself from store cut, system-orchestrated advertising and selling visibility on the store alone.

Do keep in mind that these companies actually reinvest their earnings and profits into strengthening their stickiest ecosystem parts (like google has been doing forever with gmail and youtube), so its normal and fine for them to never be claimed profitable - theyd still proceed with that strategy even if those actually incurred massive losses and no revenue because unlike almost everything else they produce, those parts have industry-changing vendor lock-in influence whose results even well funded rivals cannot guarantee matching.

Its not a free product by the way, just a 'free update' like with recent macos releases.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
I think the sudden high bar to clear in W11 is explainable by the new Windows 365 subscription you can get which claims not to be VDI but smells a lot like VDI, and is basically a cloud based VM running Win11 that you can use. More info: https://www.theregister.com/2021/07/14/windows_365/

Nothing quite like 'the new shiny' to convince people to adopt it.

I eventually got over not getting my stuff in a box and I've been quite happy with a Windows 365 subscription for around 10 years. In fact it makes far more sense if you forget what may or may not be going on in the background. Why do I now feel like I'm losing my grip again? :eek:

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
Well, VDI as a concept is nothing new and realy harkens back to ye olden times of dumb terminals. This is just a fresh coat of paint to the idea, now sold conveniently as a subscription by MS itself which is really the ”new” thing here - it’s MS getting brazen about subscribing to your Windows licence rather than buying it.

Deimos

Devotee
I ended up removing Windows 10 sometime ago, I switched to 2019 Server Essentials.
It's basically Windows 10 Pro, or how windows 10 Pro should've been.
It has none of the bundled bloatware/games/telemetry or the MS account requirement stuff.
It only takes a few minutes to convert it into a Desktop OS (disabling server services, prioritizing running apps vs background services etc).
And because it seems to be Windows 10 at its core, everything including drivers just works.