Will you stay with Xenforo even if 2.2 doesn't live up to your expectations?

Will you stay with Xenforo even if 2.2 doesn't live up to your expectations?

• Yes

Votes: 65 76.5%
  • No

Votes: 8 9.4%
  • Unsure/Undecided

Votes: 11 12.9%
  • Other (Respond in the comments)

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters

whitetigergrowl

Enthusiast
Xenforo 2.2 is expected before year end. With the arrival of the latest IPB and all of the changes and upgrades to it, some are starting to look at Xenforo to see how they will be competing or respond. If they will decide to stay with Xenforo and stick it out to see what they do after 2.2, or if they will move elsewhere.

Where do you stand? Has Xenforo got your loyalty for now or have you grown tired or anxious of things?

haqzore

Devotee
It'd be surprising to see people leave XF as a result of 2.2

Neither XF or IPB are doing things drastically different in recent times.

XF has long focused on a well executed forum as the core, and are continuing on that path.

IPB has long focused on being a complete community package, with the forum a part of that package rather than the focus of it.

No surprises either way, really ?‍♂️

zappaDPJ

I will always use what best fits my requirements and at this point in time it could be either or more likely both products as I run more than one forum. I voted 'Yes' because Xenforo is living up to my expectations but that won't stop me from using Invision. In fact I'm quite eager to migrate one of my larger forums to it.

Frode789

Enthusiast
2.2 is shaping up to be pretty good. I don't think anyone will be leaving XF because of it. I am pretty satisfied with the core improvements! The new forum types is awesome.

Though I really do hope that XF MG and XF RM get some proper love in this version... :\
#Justicefortheofficialaddons

Also, them releasing a new first party addon would be pretty cool to top off 2.2 with.. Just saying ;)

Last edited:

mysiteguy

Fanatic
Everyone I've talked to so far is pretty excited about the announced features. If they include nothing new besides those, I wouldn't nor anyone I've talked to be disappointed. Anything beyond those features are additional icing on the cake.

Doug Heffernan

Enthusiast
I have a xf license that has expired a few months ago and I will not be renewing it. I will sell it. Almost all things that they have announced for 2.2. were long overdue imo. I also noticed that they did not try to break away from their forum platform mindset. Being just a forum is a thing of the past imo. To compete nowadays with facebook and other social media platforms, we admins, need something more than a forum to attract members and keep them interested. And Ipb does that, and much more.

cheat_master30

Fanatic
Sure I will. Don't see any reason to change forum software just yet, even without the new features XenForo 2.2 will bring.

If IPB ends up offering something amazing that brings thousands of people back to internet forums or something I'll consider switching, but nothing makes me feel like that's the case right now.

DaveL

Habitué
I have a xf license that has expired a few months ago and I will not be renewing it. I will sell it. Almost all things that they have announced for 2.2. were long overdue imo. I also noticed that they did not try to break away from their forum platform mindset. Being just a forum is a thing of the past imo. To compete nowadays with facebook and other social media platforms, we admins, need something more than a forum to attract members and keep them interested. And Ipb does that, and much more.

I don't see why they need to break away from the forum platform. It's what they do and they do it well. No-ones going to compete with the social media platforms such as facebook, reddit, twitter etc. Plus I never quite understand what people mean when they say compete. To attract members and keep them interested is more about the content you offer, not they way you offer it. To many people seem to fall into the trap of having the most amazing sites with all the features you could ever wish for, whether you are going to use them or not, and then totally fall at the content aspect.

Pigoo

Adherent
For the average forum admin...changing forum software can be heck of a lot of work...and potentially very disruptive for that admin's forum community.:(

Both packages are very modern...one is not significantly behind the other. If we were talking a bigger version jump (Xenforo 1.5 or older...to IPS 4.5)...that could be different. But XF 2.1/2.2 to IPS 4.5...more difficult decision.

Just because the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence...does not mean it is. Many times you get to the other side of the fence...and the grass tastes exactly the same!;)

DaveL

Habitué
For the average forum admin...changing forum software can be heck of a lot of work...and potentially very disruptive for that admin's forum community.:(

Both packages are very modern...one is not significantly behind the other. If we were talking a bigger version jump (Xenforo 1.5 or older...to IPS 4.5)...that could be different. But XF 2.1/2.2 to IPS 4.5...more difficult decision.

Just because the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence...does not mean it is. Many times you get to the other side of the fence...and the grass tastes exactly the same!;)

So very true. I originally went from Mybb to IPS then onto XF where I believe I shall remain. It works well and has all the features I need. Plus in my opinion, I find IPS a bit clunky, despite having some great features.
Both are great software, just depends on what you need.

whitetigergrowl

Enthusiast
I don't see why they need to break away from the forum platform. It's what they do and they do it well. No-ones going to compete with the social media platforms such as facebook, reddit, twitter etc. Plus I never quite understand what people mean when they say compete. To attract members and keep them interested is more about the content you offer, not they way you offer it. To many people seem to fall into the trap of having the most amazing sites with all the features you could ever wish for, whether you are going to use them or not, and then totally fall at the content aspect.

I think for some that may be part of the problem. Xenforo is just a forum. It's widely accepted that forums by themselves have been a slowly dying breed due to lack of actual innovation or ways of helping entice people to want to join them. The old mind set of "If it works, stick with it." tends to kill forums. It's like saying that if 56k works, stick with it. If everyone did that and followed that mindset, we wouldn't have the speeds or internet we have now. Flip phones work too. But most have moved to smart phones. It's the forward thinkers that tend to win. Not the ones refusing to leave the past or constantly doing only enough to get by.

Social media companies saw what made forums good and capitalized on those strengths. I know I visit forums that used to be thriving even a few years ago, that are now just relegated to a few people posting and have essentially died while places like Facebook and Reddit have become the go-to places. Heck, go to Xenforo or IPBs official pages and visit the threads where people show off their website. So so so many are gone. Even recently. It's disturbing.

So my concern, and the concern amongst some others, is that while Xenforo is 'just' a forum software, in the end that could be it's achilles heel. Especially in a time when forums themselves seem to be really struggling to hold on or gain traction. Without much innovation, retreading, just playing catch up and such, dark days are no doubt ahead for forums. I know I've held off on renewing my IPB or Xenforo licenses while I re-evaluate the forums role in things.

While forums may serve a purpose, for many it seems the time, money, and effort spent on them is becoming less logical for what owners are getting out of them. So without branching out and innovation, forum software runs a very real possibility of pulling the rope that has the noose around its neck so to speak.

The reality is, who will be the one watching the world pass them by as they fade into obscurity and who will be the one to reap the rewards?

Xenforo may be just 'good enough', but these days, that's no longer becoming good enough for many people. Including those visiting the forums. Xenforos new features didn't exactly overwhelm me with excitement. If anything it seems like a game of catch up at best. And that's concerning. And you make a forum for you, sure. But without members liking what you are doing, your forum is as good as dead on arrival.

Doug Heffernan

Enthusiast
I think for some that may be part of the problem. Xenforo is just a forum. It's widely accepted that forums by themselves have been a slowly dying breed due to lack of actual innovation or ways of helping entice people to want to join them. The old mind set of "If it works, stick with it." tends to kill forums. It's like saying that if 56k works, stick with it. If everyone did that and followed that mindset, we wouldn't have the speeds or internet we have now. Flip phones work too. But most have moved to smart phones. It's the forward thinkers that tend to win. Not the ones refusing to leave the past or constantly doing only enough to get by.

Social media companies saw what made forums good and capitalized on those strengths. I know I visit forums that used to be thriving even a few years ago, that are now just relegated to a few people posting and have essentially died while places like Facebook and Reddit have become the go-to places. Heck, go to Xenforo or IPBs official pages and visit the threads where people show off their website. So so so many are gone. Even recently. It's disturbing.

So my concern, and the concern amongst some others, is that while Xenforo is 'just' a forum software, in the end that could be it's achilles heel. Especially in a time when forums themselves seem to be really struggling to hold on or gain traction. Without much innovation, retreading, just playing catch up and such, dark days are no doubt ahead for forums. I know I've held off on renewing my IPB or Xenforo licenses while I re-evaluate the forums role in things.

While forums may serve a purpose, for many it seems the time, money, and effort spent on them is becoming less logical for what owners are getting out of them. So without branching out and innovation, forum software runs a very real possibility of pulling the rope that has the noose around its neck so to speak.

The reality is, who will be the one watching the world pass them by as they fade into obscurity and who will be the one to reap the rewards?

Xenforo may be just 'good enough', but these days, that's no longer becoming good enough for many people. Including those visiting the forums. Xenforos new features didn't exactly overwhelm me with excitement. If anything it seems like a game of catch up at best. And that's concerning. And you make a forum for you, sure. But without members liking what you are doing, your forum is as good as dead on arrival.

Could not agree more with this. Well said whitetigergrowl. :tup:

mysiteguy

Fanatic

I don't think there is any such thing as a Xenforo thread where you don't step in and have a multitude of negative things to say, and use it as a chance to promote Invision. I know you're not a shill, but you do talk like one.

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
We will definitely be staying indefinitely with XF at the main math help site I help admin. It's a rock solid platform and already does everything we need.

DaveL

Habitué

See I disgaree. Forums have moved with the times, but just kept their structured view. I've had many a member comment how facebook groups are unstructured and difficult to navigate compared to a forum.

How exactly do people want forums to evolve?

arn commented on a similar post last week about forums showing a structured forum home, and how showing new content would be better like facebook and reddit - However if you check the announcement thread out on his site, members prefer the strutured view.

To me, a forum is a forum. If you want a social media replica, then use something like PHPSocial

sanction9

Adherent
Doubt I'll be going anywhere any time soon. I like a lot of things I see with IPB, but there's a few things that currently make it a no-go for me personally. One is the price, which would be even more expensive considering I have to have some kind of at least basic page functionality, which costs even more to have with IPB (though, granted, it's more full-featured); two, I've come to really depend on prefix functionality, especially with a couple of good addon's, but even XF's core prefix functionality is miles above what I've seen with IPB; and three, in the past I found that XF performed much better on the same hardware than IPB, even just talking about the core forum part, no additions, so that could potentiality end up costing me even more money. (Granted, though, it's been several years since I last used IPB, and things might have improved in that respect since then.)

On top of those things, though, I'm also looking forward to some of the new XF 2.2 features. Hoping for a little more, but will hang on for what's already there. :D

Doug Heffernan

Enthusiast
I don't think there is any such thing as a Xenforo thread where you don't step in and have a multitude of negative things to say, and use it as a chance to promote Invision. I know you're not a shill, but you do talk like one.

This is a public forum and I will respond to any thread I like just like you and everyone else here does as well.

I am not promoting Invision. I am not affiliated with Ips in any way, shape or form.

And I do not have a multitude of negative things to say about xf. I am being honest in my opinions. They release a couple of features that should have been added a long time ago, and everyone reacts like it was the best thing since sliced bread.

This is blind fanboyism and it is getting extremely annoying. One does not dare to post his/her opinions here for fear of being attacked by the fanboys.

Last edited:

Russ

Administrator
The new forum node options look great and flexible, I'm excited to start a new project using XF2.2. Obviously everyone will have their own changes they wish for but will not happen. I'm hoping for maybe 1-2 official XF HYS's followed up with some nice RM/MG gallery improvements.