Will you buy Woltlab Burning Board ?

meetdilip

Tazmanian Master
First of all I am happy that admin added this section. Can someone who tried the Beta and / or bblite tell me how it is ? Is it worth the money or add a bit more dollars and buy a Xenforo ? How is the add on base ?

Last edited:

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
BBlite was not representative of the full experience, and BB4 is much nicer than earlier releases..
I'm on the fence, but probably not upon immediate availability. There's a few kinks I'd like seeing worked out, but no showstopper.

meetdilip

Tazmanian Master
Howard's confusion increases. One more software to choose from for TAZ upgrade ;)

Adam

Habitué
I will indeed be purchasing Burning Board 4. :)

The only draw back I could think of is the community there mostly speaks German. Which can be expected since after all they are a German company and originally advertised themselves as such (if you have followed them since v1 as I have). And so the add-on development and support usually follows along those lines as well.

v4 is huge step up considering where and how they first started. And it is a very large leap from v3 in my opinion.

I've been beta testing it for a while and this will likely be my fall-back should things ever go south with XenForo. But I would really need to have it styled. One thing about all WBB forums is the font always has looked small to me (I have a large screen) and also the home page forum listing has always had an "old" look to it. But beyond that, I like it.

AdamD

Devotee
It's definitely a forum software I'm going to be following closely, it's "almost" a contender with Xenforo, for me, but not quite.

I need to look into it more, like the plugins on offer and styles etc.

GTB

Tazmanian
Well adding topics to my BB4 board, I see tags, related topics and more is their. I think it's definitely a serious contender to XenForo, there's no doubt about that. And it has the Blog add-on as well that be run solo, or as an add-on using the framework. So you can even only run a BB4 Blog if not wanting a forum (same thing IPB4 are planning to do) with their framework

Andrew B.

Fan
First of I happy that admin added this section. Can someone who tried the Beta and / or bblite tell me how it is ? Is it worth the money or add a bit more dollars and buy a Xenforo ? How is the add on base ?

I was a Beta tester and I was very impressed. It has some nice features other boards don't have. The main annoyance I had (which might have changed after I stopped beta testing) is all the steps it takes to remove a user and block the IP address.

Splinter2

Participant
I was a Beta tester and I was very impressed. It has some nice features other boards don't have. The main annoyance I had (which might have changed after I stopped beta testing) is all the steps it takes to remove a user and block the IP address.
I know this is an old post, but even now user IP addresses are not shown in the ACP, so blocking an IP is no easier than it was four years ago, at least on WSC 3.0.
I've raised this issue several times, but no one appears interested in writing a simple plugin. The plugin User IP Log only catches double accounts on the same IP, supposedly.
It's very annoying actually, especially now that I'm getting an increase in spam.

Ryan Ashbrook

IPS Developer
I know this is an old post, but even now user IP addresses are not shown in the ACP, so blocking an IP is no easier than it was four years ago, at least on WSC 3.0.

To be fair - blocking IP Addresses isn't exactly as effective as it was ten years ago. Dynamic IP's and VPN's are extremely common now, so a specific IP Address block can be easily worked around.

IP Range blocking can be effective, but has the side-effect of potentially blocking legitimate users as well.

dtdesign

WoltLab Developer
Actually, 3.1 displays the registration IP address in both the user profile and the ACP user list.

dtdesign

WoltLab Developer
Only the registration IP address?
What about other used IP addresses?
Any other captured IP address is stored along with the associated content and can be accessed from there. I guess, IP addresses can get more interessting with the wide-spread usage of IPv6, where it would be possible to assign merely static blocks to users - banning a particular block would really get that person off your way.

Gary

Fan
I am actually in the process of deciding whether I should go with WoltLab or another forum software.

I have a new niche project in mind and really want to go with a forum software and stick with it, whether it be free or paid doesn't really bother me (an added bonus is that my forum will be an enthusiast forum for German vehicles). Every forum software tends to cater to my needs and expectations and after using the WoltLab Forum, I am impressed to say the least. It is quite powerful and doubles up as a CMS which is really beneficial; I have always been a fan of using one developer/company for all my site needs as opposed to separate brands combining and somehow working together without too much difficulty. The replies are prompt from the staff so far however to be honest I have noticed it to be a little quiet on the community front.

I have used practically every single common forum software for past projects including Flarum (fairly new to the game and I still have this site up and running), FluxBB, IP.Board, MyBB, phpBB, Simple Machines Forum and XenForo. WoltLabs will be fresh to me but I think may not be too difficult to get used to. I'm going to take advantage of the trial and give it a proper test drive before coming to a decision. The costs involved seem fair and reasonable too.

Horizon

Participant
The replies are prompt from the staff so far however to be honest I have noticed it to be a little quiet on the community front.
Most of the posts are in German, so you would need to enable the option in your settings menu to see German posts as well as English language ones and then try and put them through a translator.

Gary

Fan
That's a lot more effort than I thought but we'll see how it goes anyway. I do remember reading some time ago that WoltLab was very German based which isn't entirely a bad thing I guess. Most of the staff I have seen post seem to speak fluent English.