Will we ever see vBulletin 6?

Will we see vBulletin 6 in the foreseeable future?

• Yes, I'm sure Internet Brands are working on something

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Eventually, though it's unknown when it'll be announced/released

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Maybe

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • No, there will never be a vBulletin 6

Votes: 18 62.1%

• Total voters

Alfa1

Administrator
XenForo can actually back their statement up to some extent. vbull making that statement is just laughable. I don't think its wise to make such statements in any case. There is always a better platform depending on the use case.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
I thought they already outsourced vB5 judging from the story Kier told at 1 point how nightmare-ish reviewing code written by cheap labors was?
I believe the CEO of Internet Brands, Bob Brisco thought he'd bought a product ready to sell when his company acquired vBulletin. When he found otherwise he threatened to outsource development unless the current developers (Kier etc.) rushed it out at which point he lost the majority of the development team and went on to release an unfinished product.

I think there may have been some outsourcing during that time and my understanding is a lot of that code still remains in vBulletin 5 but I stand to be corrected.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
I don't think its wise to make such statements in any case. There is always a better platform depending on the use case.
They could just switch that with 'most cost-effective SaaS forum hosting'. This would be factual if you compare prices against those of IPS, Woltlab and Urljet.

Joeychgo

TAZ Administrator
I believe the CEO of Internet Brands, Bob Brisco thought he'd bought a product ready to sell when his company acquired vBulletin. When he found otherwise he threatened to outsource development unless the current developers (Kier etc.) rushed it out at which point he lost the majority of the development team and went on to release an unfinished product.
Add that I think Brisco was mislead by the vB founder pre sale --- and I basically agree.... I suspect that's how we got vb4 --

Paul M

Limeade Addict
I think there may have been some outsourcing during that time and my understanding is a lot of that code still remains in vBulletin 5 but I stand to be corrected.
AFAIK, there was no outsoucing of vB4, other than to other IB employees.
vB5 was initially forked from vB4 (4.1.14 I think) so yep, there was (and still is) vB4 code in it.

vB5 was actually more "outsourced" than vB4.
They had contractors in a number of countries such as Mexico and the UK(!) working on it.
I think its more in-house these days.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
I thought it was outsourced to Vietnam.
IINM, it was originally just a proposal exposed from the vb memo leak, they apparently never followed up on that and preferred local workers and a minority of remote contractors.

HallofFamer

Habitué
Strange, but the code quality sure looks like it was written by Vietnamese amateurs.
:unsure:

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer
Strange, but the code quality sure looks like it was written by Vietnamese amateurs.
:unsure:
You can find people who don't know what they're doing in any country.

People in Vietnam aren't really incompetent per say, but the language barrier can be a problem when a lot of technical documentation is English and it can be very difficult to convey ideas back and forth between a client and employer. They also tend to be underpaid (the entire point of outsourcing) which makes them less motivated.

Panupat

Habitué
It's one of the most important skill tho, English language. Learning to program you cannot avoid finding answers from Stackoverflow.

zappaDPJ

Administrator

People in Vietnam aren't really incompetent per say, but the language barrier can be a problem when a lot of technical documentation is English and it can be very difficult to convey ideas back and forth between a client and employer. They also tend to be underpaid (the entire point of outsourcing) which makes them less motivated.
I've been around long enough to see various areas around the world who at one time were the butt of many a joke become world leaders in so many areas.

I remember when everything 'made in Japan' was the subject of a joke. If anything made elsewhere broke, it was 'probably made in Japan (lol)'. You wouldn't say that now. Indonesia now produces some of the best made guitars in the world at a fraction of the price of instruments made elsewhere.

I'm sure one day soon coding outsourced to what we still consider to be underdeveloped countries will become the gold standard.

HallofFamer

Habitué

Well the people in Vietnam earn a low wage, and IB's strategy is to find the cheapest developers so even the Vietnamese coders they will hire are the least competent in that country anyway. Rather than incompetence, the focus is more on the cheapness. Perhaps next time even Vietnamese junior coders are too expensive, time to get free from college interns.

Last edited: