Will we ever see vBulletin 6?

Will we see vBulletin 6 in the foreseeable future?

• Yes, I'm sure Internet Brands are working on something

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Eventually, though it's unknown when it'll be announced/released

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • No, there will never be a vBulletin 6

Votes: 17 60.7%

• Total voters

cheat_master30

As you know, vBulletin 5 isn't exactly doing too well. Indeed, based on the stats here and on vBulletin's own forums, the software has far fewer users than the versions before it, and despite Internet Brands' attempts at offering a cloud based version, hasn't yet found a market.

But that's got me wondering; what's next? Could Internet Brands ever announce a 6th vBulletin version, whether rewritten or not? Would they include any interesting new features in it?

Or is vBulletin 5 likely the last one released before the company throws in the towel?

Tell me your thoughts in the attached poll, as well as in a reply to this topic!

Alfa1

Administrator
Going by their track record, what's next is probably something we cannot imagine now but which will drive even more vbulletin customers away.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
Never say never but I suspect it's highly unlikely unless the development is outsourced.

Russ

Administrator
Sad to think vb was the go to software at one point. I doubt we'll see vb6.

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer
No, I do not, although it depends on whether you mean a vB6 vB6 or a minor version with the number slapped on it for marketing purposes.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
IB's forum network depends on forum software. Unless they plan to migrate everything to Xenforo or IPB, the only way forward that would accomodate vbulletin's SaaS service is coming up with a script that will be branded 'vb6'. A couple possibilities:

- IB simply labels a snapshot of vb5 as vb6. Laziest option, rebranding the version would reset the liabilities owed under the upfront lifetime support system that has clearly shown its not viable and competitors are avoiding, and allow returning to the old vb3-era licencing (upfront charge, yearly renewals for updates and support).

- IB developping a script without current vBS staff knowing, or planning to acquire a working one as a foundation (quite a few good ones actually exist but received low market adoption). Given vBS lost its talents and a clean rewrite might be necessary, they could be dedicated to support vbcloud, vb5 and earlier deployments if difficultly integrated in the team in charge of vb6. Fastest method to reach market, cheaper than funding a full team for years with uncertain results, most compatible with SaaS plans (even if uncommon tech is adopted since IB/vBS handles its servers).

cheat_master30

Going by their track record, what's next is probably something we cannot imagine now but which will drive even more vbulletin customers away.
Any ideas for what that might be? What could kill vBulletin more than vB 5?

Never say never but I suspect it's highly unlikely unless the development is outsourced.
Hmm, I swear Internet Brands has a few developers left in house. Looked that up at one point.

But yeah, an outsourced team is the most likely possibility here.

Sad to think vb was the go to software at one point. I doubt we'll see vb6.
So what is vBulletin's future then? Think they'll eventually shut it all down? Keep going with minor vB 5 versions forever? Something else?

No, I do not, although it depends on whether you mean a vB6 vB6 or a minor version with the number slapped on it for marketing purposes.
Either to be honest. Think they'd be likely to rebrand a minor version as vB 6?

It was already created and re-branded, Xenforo.
Hah, good point. XenForo has certainly taken most of vBulletin's older userbase, and it's pretty much vB 4 as Kier and co might have made it.

cheat_master30

Oh god. If Internet Brands bought XenForo, I can only imagine the internet uproar that'd result. I mean, TAZ was already crazy enough in the vB buyout days, and then when they tried to sue XenForo.

Them buying XenForo would probably be enough to cause a GamerGate like crisis across the admin forum world.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
Xf ltd would be nuts to sell at any price, even if KMAD wanted to take a backseat and keep the codebase under extended maintainance.

Unlike jelsoftvBS, it kept its staffing/upkeep expenses reasonable and could ride their popularity until the death of php. Their increase of the renewal cost does suggest they're now at a phase where they dont need to keep selling licences (extra clients is an added burden on support whose service quality and swiftness can get negatively affected) and can count on renewals more than vB ever could.

Paul M

Limeade Addict
You almost certainly wont see a V6 unless IB sell vBulletin, or they simply rebrand the next update of vB5 (they already do this randomly for the 5.x versions).

Slavik

Participant
Dont care if we see it or not. But if we do see it then they need to move away from the monolithic monstrosity they created for the database structure.

Honestly has anyone spent any time working with it? It's an absolute abomination and whatever dev signed off on using it needs to be walked into the woods and shot.

Paul M

Limeade Addict
Honestly has anyone spent any time working with it?
Yes. It was even worse in early development.

The first Alpha that went live on vbulletin.com killed the MySQL server completely, that's why they switched back to vB4 for another 5 months.

Panupat

Habitué
I thought they already outsourced vB5 judging from the story Kier told at 1 point how nightmare-ish reviewing code written by cheap labors was?