Will Facebook Kill Forums?

Ryuren

Aspirant
I don't think facebook can match up to any forum, there's a community with forums, of people who you don't know exactly but who you like to share with and help out where you can, whereas facebook is friends.

plus>:banana:, here on the forums not facebook

RogueTrader

Neophyte
As long as you have a forum which people can connect with, Facebook should not become an issue with the rest of your community.

Parafly

Aspirant
I think facebook is a great tool to drive more people to your forum. haha.

cskin

Aspirant
Even if Facebook won't kill forums, based on search statistics there is strong evidence of a rapid decline in forum usage over the last decade.

thundermew

Developer
To be honest, I don't get what is so great about Facebook at all, all you can really do is click and type stuff, the theme is very depressing, and their comment system is very poor because its difficult to get noticed

And I think the only reason it is so popular is because the advertising of it was well planned at the start and now everyone uses it just because everyone else does, but if you looked away from the amount of members it had for a minute you'd realise its a poor community

I'd choose a forum (or even one of the other major social networks) any day

Ferrari353

Adherent
click and type stuff...that's all you can do throughout the whole internet....lol
The reason it is so popular is because people like connecting to old friends.
And what is a "major social network?" I could've sworn Facebook was the biggest social network. So please, name a few that are bigger.
Facebook is not and never will be a forum. Facebook is an advanced version of Twitter.

msmir

Aspirant
No I don't because facebook's platform is very different from forums overall IMO. I would not worry too much about it.

Mir

thundermew

Developer
click and type stuff...that's all you can do throughout the whole internet....lol
And what is a "major social network?" I could've sworn Facebook was the biggest social network. So please, name a few that are bigger.
Facebook is not and never will be a forum. Facebook is an advanced version of Twitter.
I just meant the other major social networks, I didn't mean more major than Facebook

Last edited:

Riaz

Aspirant
Even if Facebook won't kill forums, based on search statistics there is strong evidence of a rapid decline in forum usage over the last decade.

DECADE!!

How can that be? This time 10 years ago phpBB did not exist and people were still using Usenet to discuss things.

cskin

Aspirant
DECADE!!

How can that be? This time 10 years ago phpBB did not exist and people were still using Usenet to discuss things.

When I said over the last decade, I didn't imply across the entire decade, just within the decade. Also, according to particular sources, apparently the first versions of phpBB, vBulletin and various other BB software were released in 2000, which means that people have potentially been searching for these over the entire last decade.

For anyone who's interested, Google Insights presents approximate search statistics back to 2004: click here to see search statistics for queries related to forum software.

On a related note, using Google Insights, I haven't found a search query that has been more popular than "Facebook".

Last edited:

Sebastyne

Participant
To be honest, I don't get what is so great about Facebook at all, all you can really do is click and type stuff, the theme is very depressing, and their comment system is very poor because its difficult to get noticed

And I think the only reason it is so popular is because the advertising of it was well planned at the start and now everyone uses it just because everyone else does, but if you looked away from the amount of members it had for a minute you'd realise its a poor community

I'd choose a forum (or even one of the other major social networks) any day

I completely agree with this. Facebook is big because your friends are there and that simple fact appeals to all people, including those who know nothing about the internet and wouldn't even know what "a forum" is. Facebook is a web service for people who don't know any better. I'm not a fan of Facebook AT ALL, but I'm still there because everyone else is there and it's easy to keep in touch. But it's not good for a decent discussion nor a place to find any relevant INFORMATION. What used to be a cool service for the hip uni students is now a baby photo sharing service that the grand mother wants to join so she won't be left out! Nothing cool about it. It's a time wasting platform in somewhat good company, and it's like the meeting place everyone in town knows... Such as "let's meet under the clock at..." It doesn't make the clock the best clock ever made, it just makes the clock one that everyone knows for a reason or another.

As for other social networks, there are heaps. 'Major' well... There's Facebook and MySpace and then the others. Technically Facebook is not even near the most brilliant one.

And the last decade... I've been online since 1998, and one of the first things I found was forums or bulletin boards as they were more commonly known. So they've been there for over a decade, and for over a decade I've been fascinated by them. They've gotten more sophisticated over the years, but they've been there.

I don't think Facebook will kill forums, Facebook adds to active Internet users, so the percentage of Internet users who do not use forums is probably on the decline, but the actual number is probably on the rise.

Last edited:

cspears22

Aspirant
I don't think Facebook will kill forums. Facebook can be a great tool to help you build your forums, same as Twitter and other social outlets. I think they can go hand in hand better than saying one is better than the other.

I definitely choose forums over FB though because Forums typically have more educated content.

I really don't care what you're having for dinner so don't tell me on FB :D.

My all-time favorite "why did you even post this" status update..."I'm Bored".

You don't see silly stuff like that in forums unless it's a general discussion forum. If you do, those people usually don't hang around long because people don't respond or worse, flame them for useless posts.

Madi

Espresso King
Facebook will not kill your forums. Facebook will promote it. Thanks to its social plugins and other developments like Like Box and Fan Pages. You are sure with that to promote your site, so Facebook help you grow your community bigger!

Derek_M

Neophyte
Facebook should never, and will never kill forums. It's just a place to keep in touch with friends, not a discussion board. ;)

AF

Enthusiast

It doesn't have to be a forum to hurt forums ... they just have to

keep offering free forum like features, free accounts, free updates, free

hosting, games, ecommerce capability etc etc

IcePets

Neophyte
It's the same way 'Twitter' is supposedly the 'Facebook' killer. Everyone will now be threatened of Twitter, moreso than how incredibly scary Facebook is.

Namorat

Duder
What happens to forums? All the discussions about facebook and my own observations made me think of changes forumsseem to have experienced.

Forums, to me, seem to evolve more and more into an interactive library and become less and less a social medium (as in personal). At the beginning, when forums were rather new, people on it were rather close, because not the everyday man or woman had access to this technology and the danger of exposing themselves were less imminent.

Forums about a specific information or theme have activity, because people can ask questions and receive answers in a more convenient way than browsing the internet for the direct information they are looking for. In many cases they don’t need a extremely clear question and still receive an answer, which is the big advantage of a forum.
The personal aspect becomes less and less. I think this is where social networks like facebook step onto the stage. People don’t want to share and talk about deep personal things anymore. What they prefer is yelling trivial things into the world, which they are able to via facebook, twitter and other things alike. Things won’t really get discussed anymore, but mostly stated as a matter of fact.

Facebook doesn't kill forums, but deprives them of a part of it and transforms it into a light version, something easily to digest. At least that is how it looks to me.

meetdilip

Tazmanian Master
I hate Facebook. Don't like the way they suggest friends. Almost difficult to run two profiles, one for friends and one for family.