Wiki

A wiki has been suggested for my new forum. I’m not too au fait with them. Used Wikipedia of course but not as a publisher.

Wanted some other opinions. Always seemed fairly intensive in terms of content.

Abizaga

I am a tuna sandwich!
Theres an addon by 8WAYRUN on xenforo you could use.

jair101

Participant
First consider if you need it at all. You mentioned it is a new forum, so I assume there is not a lot of members and activity currently and for a successful wiki I believe you need both. Moreover, you need them in much higher amounts then for the typical, even semi-active forum.

It is a very high chance you will either be stuck with something that will be nightmarish to maintain, won't have the quality you envision and in the end might do more harm then good. Members will always want stuff, I think they want good wiki on the subject, as long as someone else fills it. Wanting is one thing, but contributing is entirely different manner. I get this all the time - "Hey please make us a subforum on this topic, so we can find this and that information there". However, creating the subforum won't magically fill it with quality content and if you follow these suggestions and create tons of subforums you will find out that most of them have 0 activity in them. In my experience creating a subforum has never been the catalyst of activity, so nowadays I create them only when I see certain topic is outgrowing the main section the discussion currently resides in.

If I were you I would try to accommodate most of the requirements within the forum - create sticky wiki topics, allow people to submit edit suggestions, have dedicated topic moderators who look after merging the suggestions, etc. If it works out and you reach the point at which the forum software is blocking the growth of the wiki topics, sure, look for dedicated solution. But for a new forum, this will hardly be the case.

Al.Ch

Aspirant
I suggest that you think about the whole picture first (as jair101 mentioned). Then what I would really recommend you based on my personal experience, avoid third-party add-ons as for major parts of your forum like a wiki and go with native solutions such as Resource manager of XF which you can easily turn it to a Wiki.

I am using WoltLab on one of my websites and I am totally happy with the core article system which comes with the package.

My thoughts pretty much echoed with the replies to this. Too intensive a project. Not enough return on investment.

gogoblender

shiny happy pantless
A wiki has been suggested for my new forum. I’m not too au fait with them. Used Wikipedia of course but not as a publisher.

Wanted some other opinions. Always seemed fairly intensive in terms of content.

We have our own big wiki supporting our gaming forum a few thousand pages and made with wikiepedia software so its costless to us and supported (VERY important)

Before we got to the Wiki though we started by making loads of guides and walkthroughs...this kind of makes your content more "stickY' as kind of "answers' database and has people coming back...
Would this work for you?

:)

gogo

we_are_borg

Tazmanian
Also dont forget the next update of XF will allow you to do more with threads. Just watch the HYS on XF.

Wes of StarArmy

Adherent
I use Dokuwiki for my wiki. It's super easy, has human-readable syntax, stores page as plain text files, and a good amount of extensions. I guess my main issue is that I don't have a single sign-on for it and my XF.

JulianD

Participant
What features would you look for in a Wiki addon for your forum?