Why there is so much animosity about IPB on TAZ?

borbole

Adherent
This is something that I have noticed for a long time btw. I was wondering as to why is that? It looks like Taz is playing favorites here by placing xf over all the other forums. Should someone not prise xf here, they get muted and even banned in some cases. Whereas if people go over board by criticising and being very negative about Ipb (rightly or not), they are left alone to keep barking. This is not cool. Taz should be neutral imo and treat all forums equal.

cornnfedd

Captain Futurama
Show me one case, just one where someone has been banned for talking about another forum software besides XF?

You wont find it, as it doesnt exist.

Sure there are lots of xenforo fanboys on here, but there are also lots of IPS ones as well, each to there own.

Please post evidence.

Alpha1

Administrator
I do not see it the same way as you borbole Yes, some people do have negative views or experiences with IPS. Even several threads recently which I also found remarkable to see. Some of those voice have been just as negative about XF a few months before and have to be viewed within that context.
But its not all negative. When IPS posts a showcase of their next feature release then people are generally wowed. If someone asks what the best forum platform is and they need a full suite of functionality then IPS is generally advised.
And while it does not matter in terms of objectivity, do mind that the TAZ staff team does include an IPS staff member.
We do not ban people simply for being positive about IPS. That impression is incorrect.

There will always be fans and haters, as well as strong opinions for any software. People are invested in their choices.

l3ta

Enthusiast
Ommm...Ommm...Ommm

XF can lift you to a higher place
IPS can help you find a new awareness
Discover your own inner software truth
Forums can lead you to eternal youth

Why am I singing such a forum song?
And incidentally, I don't even code
If you believe any software is worthy of a fight
It is time for you to get a life...

Last edited:

borbole

Adherent
Show me one case, just one where someone has been banned for talking about another forum software besides XF?

You wont find it, as it doesnt exist.

Sure there are lots of xenforo fanboys on here, but there are also lots of IPS ones as well, each to there own.

Please post evidence.

I remember seeing several such cases. The most recent one I remember was a member called Doug who was being negative about xf and banned. I also remember a couple of other members, but that was some time ago and I do not recall the details. If you do a search here, you will come across them as well.
I do not see it the same way as you borbole Yes, some people do have negative views or experiences with IPS. Even several threads recently which I also found remarkable to see. Some of those voice have been just as negative about XF a few months before and have to be viewed within that context.
But its not all negative. When IPS posts a showcase of their next feature release then people are generally wowed. If someone asks what the best forum platform is and they need a full suite of functionality then IPS is generally advised.
And while it does not matter in terms of objectivity, do mind that the TAZ staff team does include an IPS staff member.
We do not ban people simply for being positive about IPS. That impression is incorrect.

There will always be fans and haters, as well as strong opinions for any software. People are invested in their choices.

I did not say that you banned people for being positive about Ipb. What I said was that whenever someone complains about Ipb you guys let them rant and rant. But if someone doe the same thing, but for xf, they are muted or even banned.

But I agree 100% with you about fans and haters. It has been always like that. It will not go away anytime soon :D

Uncrowned

Enthusiast
IPB has been the minority software for long time now but after a few good updates, it is likely the most powerful suite out there (certainly helped by the fall of VB and XF sticking to the core forum concept). You are going to see a lot negative views towards IPB as people adjust towards that and religiously defend their current platform. This is fairly common in any market and if IPB holds the lead then this discussion will be flipped in a few years as people defend IPB from the next better solutions. Remember at the end of the day, most people on this site are not using IPB, so it is kinda like bringing up the new great Ford on a Chevy focused site. Granted, TAZ is not focused on a single platform, but the demographics of its users likely are.

**I am not saying IPB is the best software and lets not start a debate, just a point of concept here and the likely near future**

NYCGuy76

Fanatic
I will say this about ipb. After using it for a couple of days I’m really starting to dig it. It’s pretty easy to use and customise. I have to admit I’m liking it a tad more than xenforo too. Their marketplace is a plus and installing addons is beyond easy. I’m standing strong in regards to their pricing particularly their branding fee but regardless it really is a good software.

haqzore

Devotee
I will say this about ipb. After using it for a couple of days I’m really starting to dig it. It’s pretty easy to use and customise. I have to admit I’m liking it a tad more than xenforo too. Their marketplace is a plus and installing addons is beyond easy. I’m standing strong in regards to their pricing particularly their branding fee but regardless it really is a good software.
The marketplace and the app alone have no competition in the current market. I wish they did, but IPB are the only ones willing to do it right now.

Jeremy8

Enthusiast
The marketplace and the app alone have no competition in the current market. I wish they did, but IPB are the only ones willing to do it right now.
What do you mean by marketplace? I thought that's what they call their third party add-on area.

haqzore

Devotee
What do you mean by marketplace? I thought that's what they call their third party add-on area.
Is fully integrated into the ACP now.

Simple 1 click installs & updates right from your own ACP.

If you're familiar with WordPress - it's just like installing addons with that.

DanielF

Participant
Is fully integrated into the ACP now.

Simple 1 click installs & updates right from your own ACP.

If you're familiar with WordPress - it's just like installing addons with that.
+ you’re also able to purchase them right from the ACP.

we_are_borg

Tazmanian
They made the marketplace idiot prove any one should be able to install an add-on. If they know Wordpress they can now do it with IPS.

cornnfedd

Captain Futurama

Mate you cant say that sort of slanderous stuff around here as apparently that will get you banned.

BAdmin >> please ban NYCGuy76 he said a boo boo about xenforo. ;):D:D:D

lol

haqzore

Devotee
They made the marketplace idiot prove any one should be able to install an add-on. If they know Wordpress they can now do it with IPS.
It is certainly idiot proof now.

But I think its worth noting, its also just vastly quicker now.

I have no issues uploading & installing the old way. But if I have the option of simply clicking my mouse a time or 2? You better believe I'm just gonna click my mouse a time or 2. It's just effortless now (which should always be a goal).