Why should I join your forum?

Shawn Gossman

Tazmanian Master
If I was a potential member of your forum that you really wanted to join, what would be your pitch to entice me to join?

l3ta

Enthusiast
You can't. You won't be able to solve the riddle required to join the forum hahaha :p

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
Whatever you're producing or selling i'll promote it.
And dont forget to bring in your many fans too and tell them how wonderful life would be in this amazing fun gathering location you dont have to run yourself !

Hostboard

Participant
I do not operate a forum but rather a community. I allow the creation and management of individualized communities under a single site. So not catering to any specific topic we cover whatever our members decide their community is about.

FTL

Adherent
I do not operate a forum but rather a community. I allow the creation and management of individualized communities under a single site. So not catering to any specific topic we cover whatever our members decide their community is about.
Interesting way to go about it, I might try it one day.

Invision has functionality for this under the Clubs feature, but I see you've got vB in your siggy, so do you use that for your community?

EDIT: Ok found it, it's in vB.

DigNap15

Fan
If I was a potential member of your forum that you really wanted to join, what would be your pitch to entice me to join?

My pitch would be that you can make comments and discuss topics, without the prospect of them being deleted due to some trigger happy zealot.

And yes, using the term forum is not going to appeal to the under 50's who have no idea what a forum is.

Joel R

Fan
This question really goes to the heart of so much of what's being discussed elsewhere in TAZ - as well as so much of the angst and failures of new forum webmasters.

You must define your value proposition. And it's no longer as simple as:
- "to discuss with like-minded people"
-"content"

You can be so much more specific, detailed, and varied with your value proposition. Is your community offering ...
- speed of news
- authoritativeness
- insider information
- in depth information
- unique tools
- organization and filtering
- specialization
- comprehensive information
- nostalgia
- aesthetics
- camaraderie with professionals in same field
- camaraderie in professionals in allied fields
- networking with experts
- professional standards
Etc etc

The list goes on and on. You can see that value can be achieved and offered to your users in so many different ways. Be amazing at one kind of value, and build a competitive advantage that no one else can match.

Abizaga

I am a tuna sandwich!
You can be so much more specific, detailed, and varied with your value proposition. Is your community offering ...

- nostalgia
* cracks fingers* Man would I have good news for you :p