Why people go with XenForo instead of IPS?

sbjsbj

Fan
My company's "to" Xenforo migrations are busier than ever, and IPS to XF inquiries have spiked since recent XF 2.2 feature announcements. I don't purport to speak for the entire sphere of where forum migration trends are going or have been, no one can based on only their company's numbers.
Is it okay to ask if you would be willing to share some numbers with us? Nothing too revealing of course to protect your corporation. But like displaying % would be nice. Like "30% switch from x to y, 20% from z to y" etc. Of course more specific numbers are welcome. You quickly became the go-to guy for migrations and I believe your stats have some depth in them. So I am curious and wanted to ask. Thanks.

gConverter

Participant
I mean, that's sort of a silly statement. Are you saying no one is converting from IPS to XF and you know this first hand even outside of the bubble of your own business?
No, there are many migrations from IPB to XenForo for sure and vice versa. But the number of migrations from IPB to XF and vice versa is almost the same, there is not a huge difference, so saying people go from IPB to XF would not be correct. Because when I hear this phrase I think tons of IPB go to XF and nobody goes vice versa.

There are many migrations from vBulletin and phpBB to XF but the vice versa is very few. In this case I can say people go from vB and phpBB to XF.

BTW, the GC-Rank of XenForo is 6 and the GC-Rank of IPB is 5. It means in total the TO/FROM migration percent of XF is higher than the TO/FROM migration percent of IPB. Here are the screenshots of gConverter Live Statistics:

gConverter-forum-migration-ranks-of-XenForo-and-IP-Board.png

zappaDPJ

Administrator
I thought vb was doing far worse
There are still a huge number of forums running on vBulletin. The problem, if there is a problem, is that the majority are running on discontinued and unsupported versions.

gConverter

Participant
There are still a huge number of forums running on vBulletin. The problem, if there is a problem, is that the majority are running on discontinued and unsupported versions.
Yes, we're getting lots of requests for migrating to vBulletin 4.x versions as well. The percents are vB4(17%) and vB5(83%).
vB is still active, even with the 5.x version... I think the vB support is good (say some customers) and this is the main point which moves people to vB.

Alpha1

Administrator
Yes, we're getting lots of requests for migrating to vBulletin 4.x versions as well. The percents are vB4(17%) and vB5(83%).
That seems an odd percentage to me. No vb3? A large percentage of vb sites run vb3.

gConverter

Participant
That seems an odd percentage to me. No vb3? A large percentage of vb sites run vb3.
Sure, but our statistic is only related to migration services From/To. We don't get migration requests to vB3. Yes, there are lots of vB3 users, but I think they are old users and old forums which have not migrated yet.

Russ

Administrator
No, there are many migrations from IPB to XenForo for sure and vice versa. But the number of migrations from IPB to XF and vice versa is almost the same, there is not a huge difference, so saying people go from IPB to XF would not be correct. Because when I hear this phrase I think tons of IPB go to XF and nobody goes vice versa.

There are many migrations from vBulletin and phpBB to XF but the vice versa is very few. In this case I can say people go from vB and phpBB to XF.

BTW, the GC-Rank of XenForo is 6 and the GC-Rank of IPB is 5. It means in total the TO/FROM migration percent of XF is higher than the TO/FROM migration percent of IPB. Here are the screenshots of gConverter Live Statistics:

View attachment 54749
Thanks for clarifying, your original post made it sound like no one was going from IPB to XF :D.

Interesting stats! I always enjoy seeing public stats like this for various things.