Why Is Wordpress Easy To Hack

Tracy Perry

Opinionated asshat
Why because it is wordpress? Wordpress is really easy to update.
And it's really easy to hack it if not kept up to date.. that's why I am obsessive about keeping it updated - it's the one that I do religiously - checking it every day or so for updates to it and the plugins.

CarpCharacin

Habitué
And it's really easy to hack it if not kept up to date.. that's why I am obsessive about keeping it updated - it's the one that I do religiously - checking it every day or so for updates to it and the plugins.
So many people use wordpress. What makes it easy to hack?

Danielx64

Developer
So many people use wordpress. What makes it easy to hack?
Put it this way: attackers are going to target scripts that has the most users - what's the point in trying to break something that one one or 2 people use?

Just like how Windows have security issues. Yes macs and Linux has issues but not as many people use then so they are less of a target (for now but that can change).

Tracy Perry

Opinionated asshat
As Danielx64 states, WordPress has a wider target based to hit, and WAY to many of the idiots running blogs on it don't keep it updated - much less disable the WP-Pingback feature that is so frequently used to perform DDOS attacks.

CarpCharacin

Habitué
As Danielx64 states, WordPress has a wider target based to hit, and WAY to many of the idiots running blogs on it don't keep it updated - much less disable the WP-Pingback feature that is so frequently used to perform DDOS attacks.
What is the WP pingback feature?

Tracy Perry

Opinionated asshat
It honestly should be disabled unless you have a specific use for it. If it was up to me, it would be totally stripped if they can't get it so that it can't be abused. One site that I was assisting with had over 100 connections each doing pingbacks from several remote IP's.

GTB

Tazmanian
If it was up to me, it would be totally stripped
I feel same way, Pingbacks and Trackbacks always got disabled on my WP site. Too easy to be taken of advantage off by other sites trying to get traffic, or comments - nothing good comes out enabling either of them.