Why is there so much vB hate?

Arcade King

Aspirant
The only reason I moved my site from VB4 to 5 was at the time
A. I thought the software had matured enough to warrant the upgrade.
B. I assumed moving from VB4 to 5 would be seamless as opposed to migrating to another platform thus saving me time.

Wrong on all accounts.
I spent the first month in damage control and a week writing tutorials on how to navigate and use the site.
Secondly I made the mistake of buying the Android/IOS app thinking it would be a good replacement for Tapatalk..wrong again. Clicking recent posts showed every other post other than recent, some even years old.
Lastly, the biggest issue people had was with the messy attachment system in particular the image embeding which didn't use its own lightbox. This was the bane of my existence for the last year and a half.
VB5 not only damaged my site and cost me members but valuable time.
Thank god I finally moved to IPS4, my only regret is I should have gone down this path instead of VB5 knowing what I do now. I havent had ANY of the problems mentioned above.

K730

Enthusiast
I don’t think that’s entirely fair. vB3 was a very respectable piece of software
The software was good, however when you had The Sandman being the equivalent of a modern-day influencer with his band of 'tiktokers' the group think was beyond palatable.

I think a lot of the hate stems from people remembering the good times and how it was, and bitter about what it became: a shadow of its former self. Falls from grace are always awkward, especially if it formed the cornerstone of a significant chunk of your life.
Outside of the internal team and some third party developers, users allowing a piece of software to form a 'cornerstone of a significant chunk' of their lives is exactly the point I was making above. They manifested a relationship in their heads that didn't exist.

Anyway, at some point Vertical Scope will buy Xenforo. Threadloom would if they could afford it.... but instead they bought TAZ.
History will repeat itself.

zappaDPJ

I just tried to make a simple post in vBulletin's support forums. That software is as mad as a box of frogs. My attempt to use a smiley in a comment proved futile but I later noticed it got dumped in the post reply editor :LOL: Also I nearly lost the will to live trying to embed two quotes into my post. I gave up after a rather large number of failed attempts and errors. In addition the world turned on its axis while I waited for a response to every input.

I don't hate it, it's just pure comedy.

Alpha1

Administrator
VB5 not only damaged my site and cost me members
If Internet Brands owns any forums that are arcade / game oriented, then they have probably benefited from your damage. In that case, it's a win for them.

Your site looks good now BTW. It must be a major improvement on IPS.

HallofFamer

Habitué
If Internet Brands owns any forums that are arcade / game oriented, then they have probably benefited from your damage. In that case, it's a win for them.

Your site looks good now BTW. It must be a major improvement on IPS.

Ah, thats exactly what I meant when I wrote my last post earlier. IB is an anti-customer company, its a rather intriguing but weird business model in which their VB customers may also be their competitors in another way.

Paul M

Super Moderator
Checking the date, I cant believe its over 4 years since I left.
I havent logged into either vB forum (.org or .com) for a long time now.
I dont hate IB, in fact I enjoyed most of my time there running the backend systems, and vb.org.
However, I dont miss it either. :)