Why is there so much vB hate?

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer
I hope things change though. I remember in past SMF was in danger because of one staff member, if that kind of situation can reverse, I am sure VB too will have it's day.
This might not be the best thread for me to ask, but what happened?

forumowner

Aspirant
probably because xenforo is just VB but better, has a lot of the same developers

VB Is stuck on old design choices

although it will always have a special place in my heart

I actually quite like some things discourse does too

MR_XX

Neophyte
vb3 and vb4
It is still the best program for managing forums, even though it is old, but I am still the best
You will not need an army of additions and a lot of money lost in updating additions with each new release as it happens with. xf and mybb

Jura

Devotee
It is still the best program for managing forums, even though it is old, but I am still the best
What if I didn't think those were the best even when those versions were current?

overcast

Adherent
This might not be the best thread for me to ask, but what happened?
Not a lot is out there on the web considering the issue is now calmly solved. But when it was out there it was pretty nasty. A short idea about that time you can check oout in this forum post

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
SMF's fate is a self-inflicted headshot from when free scripts SMF and mybb thought they ruled - nay, owned the mountain.
Wedge is a fork so superior it deserves to be christened the official SMF 3.0

ips_doug

Enthusiast
Not a lot is out there on the web considering the issue is now calmly solved. But when it was out there it was pretty nasty. A short idea about that time you can check oout in this forum post

That would really be a shame if it turns out to be true.

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer

Archived version of the link in the OP.

Later version, edited to remove some info to avoid drama and with extra info.

P.S. Wow, if you look at some of the linked SMF posts via the Wayback Machine, SMF looks exactly the same as it does now, but diferent people have staff badges.

Last edited:

zappaDPJ

Administrator
SMF is a particularly odd forum platform. It's years decades out of date with a development team that seems to be in continual turmoil. That said it's fast, secure, relatively bug free and if you are familiar with it, easy enough to make it your own. I still use it for a couple of fairly active forums and at this point in time have no intention of migrating away.

ips_doug

Enthusiast
SMF is a particularly odd forum platform. It's years decades out of date with a development team that seems to be in continual turmoil. That said it's fast, secure, relatively bug free and if you are familiar with it, easy enough to make it your own. I still use it for a couple of fairly active forums and at this point in time have no intention of migrating away.
Indeed, it is is very outdated, although the 2.1. is trying to break away from that imo. The thing that I like most about Smf, besides the things that you mentioned, is that they have a very helpful community as well and they provide top notch support.

overcast

Adherent
P.S. Wow, if you look at some of the linked SMF posts via the Wayback Machine, SMF looks exactly the same as it does now, but diferent people have staff badges.
The hate that VB forum gets should be directed at current SMF developers and the maintainers. I mean really they are literally not doing anything since long long time.

ips_doug

Enthusiast
The hate that VB forum gets should be directed at current SMF developers and the maintainers. I mean really they are literally not doing anything since long long time.
No one spent a dime on Smf, so there is no reason to hate it. A little disappoinment with how slow things are going, perhaps, but hate, no way. After all, the people involved with its developement are volunteers who work on it on their own time and dime. If you do not like it, do not use it. Simple as that imo.

Study Force

Participant
Indeed, it is is very outdated, although the 2.1. is trying to break away from that imo. The thing that I like most about Smf, besides the things that you mentioned, is that they have a very helpful community as well and they provide top notch support.
Except when they're rude, and chastise you for giving your opinion

overcast

Adherent
No one spent a dime on Smf, so there is no reason to hate it. A little disappoinment with how slow things are going, perhaps, but hate, no way. After all, the people involved with its developement are volunteers who work on it on their own time and dime. If you do not like it, do not use it. Simple as that imo.
In theory yes, not when they don't even use IPS and VB but give people opinion that those are bad softwares. Which many open source software community often do in their toxic dens.

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer
In theory yes, not when they don't even use IPS and VB but give people opinion that those are bad softwares. Which many open source software community often do in their toxic dens.
Many? I've seen someone link to a thread on MyBB about phpBB where phpBB made fun of SSL and 2FA and they in turn poked fun at them not taking security seriously, but people rarely, rarely mention SMF, vB or IPB. It's mostly TAZ that has a fascination with vB. NodeBB and Discourse are mentioned more frequently.

As for my chats, I spend about 90% of my time talking about privacy, freedom of speech, freedom of expression, politics, the politics of moderation, security, due process, coronavirus, sometimes admin forums, public relations, and cryptography to my users. Sometimes about UI and UX. Many many hours on end.

Last edited:

ips_doug

Enthusiast
This is very wierd. You are making it look like the free software are evil and brainwashing. Can you post some links to what you are claiming?

Philpug

Participant
There are a few sites I frequent that still use VB and quite fankly it is very frustrating navigating them, it is like playing checkers instead of chess. Xenforo is so far ahead in features and user experience it is a whole different world. Hell, just this site "The Admin Zone" being on XF solidifies the fact that it is better and very well the best platform.

KimmiKat

Adherent
I still remember when the old vB was the gold standard for mboard software. Now XF holds that.