Why free hosted over self hosting

Daniel

Aspirant
I think that if you are going to go free hosted, I would look into whether or not you will have the option later to move if you so desire. Also, if you want things such as a domain or to remove ads that cost you extra $$$ and sometimes more than market price for the domain.

I considered going free hosted before but I decided that I could easily afford the domain and easily afford the hosting because hosting is dirt cheap even for good hosting.

Leaf_Green

Enthusiast
I once began to try and talk somebody out of using a free forum, but I ended that quite abruptly as I thought it was a bit of a d**k move. Clearly he had put a lot of work into it over the past several years so I didn't feel I had the right, even though my intentions were good.

I cared about his forum, but I feared the same thing would eventually happen that happened with image hosts like TinyPic. In other words, everything will disappear one day, just like that. When I found out there was no way to export forum data to import into actual forum software, well... that sucks. I imagine it puts some people off posting on such forums. If everything will inevitably disappear sooner or later, kinda makes it feel like a waste of time even though I feel that enjoying forums in the moment is more important than archived messages.

It's kinda like (less serious of course) losing old photos. Sadly in these cases there's no way to properly look back on those good times as it's only in your head from there on. Nowadays, self-hosting can be really cheap. Even if it's a sometimes-sluggish cheaper plan (maybe $10 a month) it's way better than the alternative.

zoldos

Lord Malleus
I tried a "free" hosted forum back in the day and it was junk. Forced ads was the main drawback, and I never seemed to have 100% control over all aspects of the site. My first self hosted forum was phpBB and I loved it. Now running a fully dedicated server with Xenforo. :)

haqzore

Devotee
I tried a "free" hosted forum back in the day and it was junk. Forced ads was the main drawback, and I never seemed to have 100% control over all aspects of the site. My first self hosted forum was phpBB and I loved it. Now running a fully dedicated server with Xenforo. :)
Are you running a fully dedicated server for 1 Xenforo instance? Or multiple communities?

Seems like super overkill for 1 board, unless it's super active & resource intensive (media/etc).

zoldos

Lord Malleus
Are you running a fully dedicated server for 1 Xenforo instance? Or multiple communities?

Seems like super overkill for 1 board, unless it's super active & resource intensive (media/etc).
I'm currently upgrading to XF 2.1. I have 3 other sites that are very active. :)