Why do people use discourse?

CarpCharacin

Habitué
It seems like discourse is fairly popular. My question s, why do people use it? I would test it out if I could, but it requires a server or VPS with 1gb of ram. It needs a lot of ram. Why does it need so much ram? Why do people use it if it is so resource heavy?

ozzy47

Tazmanian Master
My guess it would be like any other software choice, "it suits their needs".

Reactions: s4e

rafalp

Desu Ex
It seems like discourse is fairly popular. My question s, why do people use it? I would test it out if I could, but it requires a server or VPS with 1gb of ram. It needs a lot of ram. Why does it need so much ram? Why do people use it if it is so resource heavy?

That stuff if peanuts if you have corporate founding, eg. you are Facebook (yep, they are running Discourse), Gearbox, Ember.js or other company.

As for why it uses so much memory, well, Discourse isn't just Discourse, it also has dependency on some other stuff that you need to fit somewhere:

- PotsgreSQL's full text search is as fast as much memory you give it.
- Redis is in-memory NOSQL that allows for quick storage of relatively persisent (but not irrecoverable) data.
- Sidekiq is task queue allowing them to do certain operations outside of Request-Response cycle, meaning they don't slow down for certain tasks that are unnecesary to send response to user (eg. send emails to folk subscribing thread you've just replied). But those taks need extra memory.
- Long polling technique they are using for sending notifications to client browsers as soon as actions causing those happen require them for maintaining extra long-lived Rails requests that just sit there consuming little CPU but taking some memory.

In nut shell, if you want to offer some cool features and make those features scale, you'll extra resources. And they consider those features part of core experience, and so aren't willing to go for usual "on/off" toggles that would let you finetune resources usage (as well as spare them some maintenance burden).

rafalp

Desu Ex
Yep! I've updated my reply with an link to their discourse forums. However its developer forum for one of their technologies, not something intented for bread-and-butter users.

Mark.B

Tazmanian
Just a slightly left of topic point here...

If the purpose of this thread is because you are thinking of switching software on your fishkeepers site -

DON'T

Do not get caught up in the idea that switching software will suddenly cause new members to sign up to your site -

IT WON'T

Joeychgo

TAZ Administrator
If the purpose of this thread is because you are thinking of switching software on your fishkeepers site -

DON'T

Do not get caught up in the idea that switching software will suddenly cause new members to sign up to your site -

IT WON'T

I agree completely.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
why do people use it?

As has already been said, they use it because it suits their needs. I believe it caters for the needs of a modern, Facebook orientated community far better than the more traditional forum products.

rafalp

Desu Ex
Discourse also has 1k$ package that grants you hot line to developers and enteprise grade support which big companies like and find cheaper than competitive solutions (like Litiums 10k$ entry level).

Indianparents

Enthusiast
Members sign up only if they feel that a community is useful for them. But once they sign up, a modern and user friendly (something that resembles FB?) forum script can increase chances of them being active.

rafalp

Desu Ex
Interesting how few years back everybody was the opposite, with most discussion on picking software eventually reducing to "OMG JUST MOVE TO XENFORO MASSIVE ENGAGEMENT!!!!!111OEN!ONE!O!". What changed since then? ;)

cheat_master30

You know what, I may as well make something clear for everyone out there worrying about forum scripts.

Don't. Tech will not 'save' forums. Tech will not 'kill' forums.

Switching to XenForo/Discourse/whatever else is as effective as putting a bandaid on a sinking ship. If your forum is doing well, going to a 'new and fancy' piece of software won't help it do better, and may actually put off your existing members. If it's not doing well, switching is completely useless for solving the real problem.

No one (or at least, very few people) are going 'oh okay, this site uses a script I don't like, better not register here'. There are more important things to worry about than what software is 'in vogue' this month.

As for why anyone uses Discourse... cause either they like it, they like the language its written in/think it easier to integrate with their existing site code or think it'll work well on their site. Nothing more, nothing less.

Danielx64

Developer
Don't. Tech will not 'save' forums. Tech will not 'kill' forums.

Switching to XenForo/Discourse/whatever else is as effective as putting a bandaid on a sinking ship. If your forum is doing well, going to a 'new and fancy' piece of software won't help it do better, and may actually put off your existing members. If it's not doing well, switching is completely useless for solving the real problem.

No one (or at least, very few people) are going 'oh okay, this site uses a script I don't like, better not register here'. There are more important things to worry about than what software is 'in vogue' this month.
There is a case where switching is better. Examples: IPB 3 to XF (Since IPB 4 to some people stinks) and there is VB 4 to XF because VB 5 was useless on release. Other than that I agree with you.